Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you NOT like about Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 10:28 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They need to "up" their customer service to match the market-dominating status of their cars. I use my LS600hL ordering experience as an exemplar--they absolutely did NOT get the fact that people who are spending over $120K on a car want to be kept informed of the status of their order, package changes, etc. I got all my information here first and then informed my dealer, who checked around a bunch with regional and corporate HQ and finally confirmed what I had known weeks before.

Tightly related, Lexus should allow total customization of orders (within the constraints of their current option selections). It's ridiculous that a customer on the east coast should have different options and constraints than one on the west coast when it comes to colors, options, etc.
Old 05-13-08, 10:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
undersized brakes of full size sedans
Have you see the 4 pots on the IS/GS? The LS? I'm lost here.

Originally Posted by rominl
what about the gs makes it not as sportier now? i am curious. i had gs400 and now gs350, if anything, the gs350 totally blows away the 2gs in terms of sport handling and sporty support
People are letting magazines dictate their posting

There is no way in hell a 2GS is sportier than a 3GS stock for stock, NO WAY. The difference is even greater with a 2GS 430 vs 3GS 430/450/460 b/c of the AVS. Both do share lifeless steering.

We have said it before, the 3GS drives like the 2GS with TRD blue sways and a drop. That is a big difference.

Old 05-13-08, 11:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

on the 3gs vs 2gs, i will just say. 2gs drives like a boat, way too much lean, rear way too loose, body not as rigid. it's a great car, but stock to stock the 3gs will outrun
Old 05-14-08, 02:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A blend of sport & luxury is needed ala the Germans please. Vehicles engineered from the ground up with sport and luxury in mind. Infiniti has done a wonderful job in doing so. If Lexus takes sport & luxury seriously, I may end up in a new Lexus some day.
Old 05-14-08, 06:11 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Do not step down to BMW level and make a cheap pos like 1 series.

Tell me again what is wrong with the BMW 1 series. I want to know in great detail what your problem is with this car. Is it because this car is "small"? It doesn't fit the American perception of what luxury should be? What?

Small premium cars are "in" in Europe. Owning a BMW 1 series is nothing to be ashamed about. Aside from that this car is one of the more purer BMW's being focused on "driving" and "sport" without too many compromises (ex. 5 series needs to also be comfortable).
Old 05-14-08, 06:25 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the comment on ipod integration isnt that a new option offered for 2008.
Old 05-14-08, 07:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV

Tell me again what is wrong with the BMW 1 series. I want to know in great detail what your problem is with this car. Is it because this car is "small"? It doesn't fit the American perception of what luxury should be? What?

Small premium cars are "in" in Europe. Owning a BMW 1 series is nothing to be ashamed about. Aside from that this car is one of the more purer BMW's being focused on "driving" and "sport" without too many compromises (ex. 5 series needs to also be comfortable).
I think we were through it before. Nothing is wrong with BMW 1 series, besides it's fugliness, which is, like you said, subjective. But its just not a premium car. Since BMW has no non-premium subdivision, they have to sell it as BMW, but Lexus has Toyota, so they can stay true premium brand.

As far as 5 series being more comforable, many agree with you, and they end up gettin an E class or ES instead. Lexus has an advantage here, by having two competing models - the cushy ES and sportier GS. But the current ES is a disappointment in many ways, they need to revert back to the previous generation. They need to bring back high profile tires, bring back wood and leather trim, and fix rattling/ticking/wind noise issues that new ES seems to be plaqued with. And give it at least optional AWD.

And GS needs to be completely redesigned with more aggressive "in your face" styling such as the 2GS, and defenately have sportier handling and more imporantly, better steering feedback. I currently own a GS430 and LS400, and while the GS easily outhandles the LS, I have more confidence driving the LS since it has excellent steering feedback, even despite the fact that its steering is very light. It has a sloppy handling compared to todays sports sedans, but its very predictable, and I know exactly when its at the limit. With the GS, theres no feedback whatsoever, and you can be taking a corner hard, and next thing you know, you're spinning out, and you never felt it coming. Another problem with the GS, it sometimes gives you a false sense of confidence. It has a somewhat firm ride, and you would think it shouldn't have much lean around highway curves. But boy does it lean and wobble! It's pathetic.... I once took a curve on I-95N in Rhode Island at 80mph, and I almost lost control. I had no problem taking that curve comfortably at 80mph in my old 1st gen GS300, or my parents MDX... and my wife took that curve at 100mph in my parents S500. GS defenately needs to get better handling and steering.
Old 05-14-08, 07:43 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I think we were through it before. Nothing is wrong with BMW 1 series, besides it's fugliness, which is, like you said, subjective. But its just not a premium car. Since BMW has no non-premium subdivision, they have to sell it as BMW, but Lexus has Toyota, so they can stay true premium brand.
There is no reason for BMW to start "another brand" simply to sell the 1 series. This car is being marketed as having a historical connection to the legendary 2002 Turbo / 1802 models of the early '70s.

You cannot simply claim BMW "should do this and do that", because these guys have a division called "marketing research" which tells them exactly what the market wants, what it doesn't etc.

And yes, design is subjective. I'm not a fan of the 1 series from a styling point of view either. I adore the 135i coupe though.

Originally Posted by Och
As far as 5 series being more comforable, many agree with you, and they end up gettin an E class or ES instead. Lexus has an advantage here, by having two competing models - the cushy ES and sportier GS. But the current ES is a disappointment in many ways, they need to revert back to the previous generation. They need to bring back high profile tires, bring back wood and leather trim, and fix rattling/ticking/wind noise issues that new ES seems to be plaqued with. And give it at least optional AWD.
I wouldn't call the GS "sporty", that's Lexus marketing at work there. Compared to most cars in its class it's dead last in driving dynamics and handling. Ironically it isn't even that comfortable in my experience. The GS is a car looking for a mission, so I think.

I guess the ES is ok, but that FWD setup should be dumped if you're going to sell it with an overpowered 3.5-l V6. Have these guys ever heard of torque steer? It was bad enough that Cadillac offered us that ridiculous FWD Seville and Eldorado in the mid-late 1990s.
Old 05-14-08, 09:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is no way in hell a 2GS is sportier than a 3GS stock for stock, NO WAY. The difference is even greater with a 2GS 430 vs 3GS 430/450/460 b/c of the AVS. Both do share lifeless steering.

We have said it before, the 3GS drives like the 2GS with TRD blue sways and a drop. That is a big difference.
on the 3gs vs 2gs, i will just say. 2gs drives like a boat, way too much lean, rear way too loose, body not as rigid. it's a great car, but stock to stock the 3gs will outrun
I agree completely. However, somehow, to me at least, the 3GS doesn't look very sporty, but back in 1998 we sure thought the 2GS looked sporty. Comparing today though, stock to stock a 3GS350 probably looks sportier than a 2GS300, but times change and the stakes go up. To me, an Infiniti G and M both look sportier than the 3GS.
Old 05-14-08, 09:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is no reason for BMW to start "another brand" simply to sell the 1 series. This car is being marketed as having a historical connection to the legendary 2002 Turbo / 1802 models of the early '70s.

You cannot simply claim BMW "should do this and do that", because these guys have a division called "marketing research" which tells them exactly what the market wants, what it doesn't etc.

And yes, design is subjective. I'm not a fan of the 1 series from a styling point of view either. I adore the 135i coupe though.
I'm not saying BMW should start another brand, or anything else. In fact BMW is one brand that I just dont like, and I don't care what they are doing.

What I'm saying is, Lexus shouldn't make vehicles to compete with 1 series or X3, or A class, or some other upper-economy class cars and cute utes.

I wouldn't call the GS "sporty", that's Lexus marketing at work there. Compared to most cars in its class it's dead last in driving dynamics and handling. Ironically it isn't even that comfortable in my experience. The GS is a car looking for a mission, so I think.
Unfortunately GS does suffer from poor driving dynamics, but it's wickid fast (GS430/350/450h). And 2GS is just a sexy looking car with excellent interior. It is extremely comfortable too, an egronomic master piece of you will. More comfortable than my LS. Its unbelievably great for long trips.

I guess the ES is ok, but that FWD setup should be dumped if you're going to sell it with an overpowered 3.5-l V6. Have these guys ever heard of torque steer? It was bad enough that Cadillac offered us that ridiculous FWD Seville and Eldorado in the mid-late 1990s.
Yep, I agree, they need to put the ES on AWD platform.
Old 05-14-08, 10:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
Just on my LS...

1. Gas fill-up on the right side.
:
Some manufacturers do this for safety reasons. In countries like America with left-hand drive, research has shows that cars are more likely to be sideswiped and hit on the left side than the right. Locating the gas fill-up pipe and hardware on the right lessesns the chance that it will be damaged in an accident, with fuel spilling out and causing a fire hazard.
Old 05-14-08, 11:16 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

I wish the ES had AWD....other than that, it's perfect!
Old 05-14-08, 11:43 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

- let people use the nav when driving
- tighter steering wheel
- more road feel
Couldnt have said it better myself.

AND a better ipod interface.
Old 05-15-08, 08:42 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some manufacturers do this for safety reasons. In countries like America with left-hand drive, research has shows that cars are more likely to be sideswiped and hit on the left side than the right. Locating the gas fill-up pipe and hardware on the right lessesns the chance that it will be damaged in an accident, with fuel spilling out and causing a fire hazard.
so since then, most Japaneses cars have fuel doors on the left side, so if that were true, Japaneses stopped caring about us?

most if not all Japanese cars have it on the left and most German cars have it on the right.

I much prefer the fuel door to be on the passenger side, this lessen the chance of my opening the door into one of those stupid pole next to the pump, allows me a greater room to get out as well.
Old 05-15-08, 09:10 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

- let people use the nav when driving
- tighter steering wheel
- more road feel
That really sums it up for me. Lexus does everything else very well IMHO

Quick Reply: What do you NOT like about Lexus?