Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what do you guys think of the infiniti g35?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 11:05 PM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 07 G35 right when it came out, I must say the power feels alot like the GS4 and the handling is way better my modded GS4 ( Bilstein PSS, Daizen sways).
You cant go wrong with the new G, for the price you wont regret not purchasing a 3series or the IS...
Old 05-14-08, 04:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Your opinion is that it is NOT the best car in its class, but many people do consider the G35 best in class regardless of its value.
The OP is soliciting OPINIONS.
Old 05-14-08, 04:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Mike and Mike,

How do the interior materials of the new G35 compare to other cars in its class? The reason I have been recommending people think carefully before getting the G is because I've seen on a few different examples how the previous G35 interior wears down just after 3 years. My sister, who it took 1 hour to explain the difference between an alloy and steel wheel, said on her own that she thought the IS and 3 series felt much higher quality on the inside compared to the new G35 when she was shopping for one.

Soakgame, have you driven the car yet? The GS and G35 are still very different cars. Go with your gut. The G is a great value.
I think if you take Lexus out of the mix, the Infiniti G35 interiors are now on par with most cars in its class.

If it wasnt for the fact that I just loved the IS's styling so much more than the Infiniti, I would have had no reservations buying a G35.
Old 05-14-08, 04:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Mike and Mike,

How do the interior materials of the new G35 compare to other cars in its class? .
I'd say overall, about equal to the new Lexus IS. The leather seems a little nicer than that of the 3-series, but the 3-series offers more interior trim choices. The Audi A3 and A4 are a little more detailed inside. The Cadillac CTS is about equal or slightly better in interior looks than the G35, but some of its underlying materials under the nice surface fit/finish are more plasticky.

The main difference between today's G35 and yesterday's G35 is that today's was was not designed with yesterday's cost-cutting in mind, interior most of all. It doesn't quite equal the M35's superb interior materials, but the M, of course, is more expensive.
Old 05-14-08, 05:10 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

excluding audi due to lack of experience:

interior = par with best in class and any you of its competitors might pick
handling = par with best in class (BMW) and some distance from the others
power = 2nd to BMW. Some point out the IS is faster up to 100 or so but time slips do not consistently reflect that and if so, the difference is marginal.
exterior = eye of the beholder
reliability = no major issues...
price = more competitive with its smaller engine competitors

interested buyer would be remiss to not consider it, unless of course it doesnt meet a basic need of some kind.
Old 05-14-08, 09:12 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I test drove the IS, G35, and 335 back to back to back. The IS350's handling wasn't good compared to the other 2, but it was faster than the G35. The G35 had a better interior...the IS350 had too much plastic IMO and the back seats were worthless. After all said and done, I decided to keep my car but if it were my money, I would have picked the 335
Old 05-14-08, 10:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I test drove the IS, G35, and 335 back to back to back. The IS350's handling wasn't good compared to the other 2, but it was faster than the G35. The G35 had a better interior...the IS350 had too much plastic IMO and the back seats were worthless. After all said and done, I decided to keep my car but if it were my money, I would have picked the 335
The IS back seats are indeed worthless.......an important consideration if you are comparing the two cars.
Old 05-14-08, 03:20 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ

I also agree on the part you said about the interior of the g35 being better than the IS. I havent sat in a regular IS250/350, but my friend did recently get an IS-F. If the IS-F's interior is anything like the regular IS250/350, then i do have to say that the G35's is better. I've been in my friends 328i and the interior is just okay. To me, the G35's interior feels more inviting and feels more luxurious when you sit in it..especially with the sport seats. If i had to choose a car in this class, i would get a 335i just because of its engine. Aside from that, i would choose a g35 over a C, A4, IS
Old 05-14-08, 04:51 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-14-08, 04:53 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the G35 interior looks TONS better than the 3 series interior, and better than the Lexus interior.

G35 is just an all around excellent vehicle, even if Infinit priced the G35 exactly like the IS350, I'd still choose the Infiniti.

However, if Infiniti priced the G35 like the 335i, I'd have to take the 335i.
Old 05-14-08, 05:17 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the IS with nav and wood looks significantly better than the picture chosen above.
Old 05-14-08, 06:12 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

You can't go wrong with a G35. IMO, it is one of the top three cars in this class. The interior is excellent. It has good materials all around and build quality is superb. A buddy of mine has had his '07 G35s for a little over a year now and I have yet to hear a single rattle come from the interior. The engine is marvelous and has plenty of torque. The only complaint I have about the engine (and pretty much the whole car really) is that at high revs, the engine isn't as smooth as most of the other cars in this class. It has a slight bit of a harshness to it. One of my favorite things about the G35 is that, unlike some other manufacturers, Infiniti actually offers a true 6-speed manual transmission. Design wise I would again put it with the top three. It looks like a true sport-luxury sedan. Another big plus about the G35 is the fact that it has a real backseat. Additionally, if you plan on modding, the G35 has an almost endless amount of after market support.
Old 05-14-08, 08:27 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by McMuffin
I think the G35 interior looks TONS better than the 3 series interior, and better than the Lexus interior.

G35 is just an all around excellent vehicle, even if Infinit priced the G35 exactly like the IS350, I'd still choose the Infiniti.

However, if Infiniti priced the G35 like the 335i, I'd have to take the 335i.
I think the 335s interior is a joke. Completely unacceptable for this class of car. When you spend all of your time inside of the vehicle and you've spent well over 30k for such vehicle, you'd better have nice surroundings. BMW interiors in general have always looked cold and boring - they really need help in this department. As for the G35 vs. the IS, I would probably go with the G35. To me, it just looks a bit more luxurious and sporty. Also, I detest the round air vents in the IS - looks cheap in my opinion.

Having said all that, none of these cars even compare to the CTS interior, which IMO is the best in this class and probably one of the best interiors in general I've ever seen.
Old 05-14-08, 08:33 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

yea those are some pretty slick vehicles
Old 05-14-08, 11:59 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by McMuffin

These pics clearly show which is the better interior. Obviously people have their own opinions, but to say that the g35's interior is below bmw and lexus is a joke. Ive now sat in all 3 including the 60k+ IS-F and i can honestly say..bias aside that the g35s interior is better. The interior materials felt better in the G. The interior materials in the G and IS are better than BMW for sure. But like most people have stated before, lexus made the interiors of the new IS and GS cheaper. ANd yes, the g35 is often referred to as the value leader. It is. It gives a great engine, arguably equal or better interior than its competitors for a cheaper price. Also, a usable back seat

Quick Reply: what do you guys think of the infiniti g35?