Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what do you guys think of the infiniti g35?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 03:53 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink Engine

Pretty much agree w/ everything said so far - especially how improved the interior is.

The 1 thing that really turned me off of the G35 is how loud the engine is. Some like the roar of an engine but coming from a Lexus LS 400, you might not ... ? My neighbor has 1 & I can hear every time he leaves or comes home; even from inside. Infiniti is kind of like the opposite of Lexus in the luxury world: they stress performance over luxury.

And yeah, the interiors are 1 of the main reasons I have never bought a BMW. In general, I am not fan of German interiors compared to their Japanese counterparts.

Old 05-15-08, 08:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

I can't say I really like any of those interiors. I think the Cadillac CTS is easily better than all of them.
Old 05-15-08, 09:14 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being in the unique position of owning both cars (as per my signature below) I can offer an educated opinion here. The build quality for both cars is excellent. Infiniti has come a long way in this regard (I owned a G35 coupe before), so the differences are not really there. The G37 is more powerful than our IS250 of course, but I must say the G37 actually is quieter and offers a better ride.

What I like most about my G37 over our IS250 is the technology not present in our Lexus. Items include:
• Traffic alert information including nav screen traffic flow colored line graphics
• 9.3GB hard disk where I can load up to 300 CD’s, including screen views of each album title, artist and song titles.
• Multi-colored guideline graphics in the backup camera view
• Excellent voice recognition system the virtually eliminates the need for nav hacking
• Other new nav graphics like a GPS satellite position diagram, latitude/longitude and height above sea level for the car, and a MPG bar chart for last ten fill-ups.

There are more, and I love this sort of stuff. Of course the G35 sedan has the same interior and technology as the G37, but it’s a different car in terms of size and, for now, the engine. Frankly, I chose the coupe because the sedan was just too large for my needs. In a way, the back seating room for the G37 is more of a joke than the IS (and somehow even less than my G35 coupe) so if you need to carry adults back there on a regular basis, you may prefer the G35 sedan.

Last edited by Magellan; 05-15-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-15-08, 10:54 AM
LexFather

If Mike and myself and every car mag is in agreement about the interior being good but still a slight notch below the competition, how can anyone really debate that? Every single review.

If INfiniti THEMSELVES is UPGRADING the interiors for Europe, how can YOU debate against the company? You know more than them about their own interiors?

I do agree the CTS interior is refreshing and very well built as well, a total shocker from Caddy and the best interior in their lineup. YOu all simply MUST sit and use it to believe it. Its different without going overboard, elegant, well built and has very good materials.

I also LOVE how someone posted the G35 interior with NAV and then posts a rare IS MANUAL with no NAV and a 3 series with NO NAV.

Be fair, post either all of them WITH NAV/LOADED or all of them BASIC.

Most reviews state, Infiniti is the sportier car, Lexus is the more luxurious one. Somehow we have people in here that want to go against the grain and of course claim they are unbiased.

Old 05-15-08, 04:48 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If Mike and myself and every car mag is in agreement about the interior being good but still a slight notch below the competition, how can anyone really debate that? Every single review.
not every mag believes the updated G interior to be a notch below "the competition."

but even if they did, it's still subjective and based on opinion. the fact that 90% of people think something may not matter to the 10% that think otherwise. if someone has experienced both and comes to the opinion that one to be preferable, you can't say that because magazines prefer something else, their opinion is wrong.

If INfiniti THEMSELVES is UPGRADING the interiors for Europe, how can YOU debate against the company? You know more than them about their own interiors?
first off, unless you work with nissan/infiniti you don't know why the interior is upgraded. my guess (which is at least as valid as yours) is that the car is due for its mid model update, so they're launching the updated car in europe first and will apply it here as well. not unlike the gt-r revisions which will apply to US cars and also go into effect on the rest of the line.

but even if they did upgrade the interior just for europe, by logical argument, that does not mean they felt that the interior was inferior to the is/3.

and even if they did feel that way, that's still not relevant to those who sit in the is/3/g and prefer the g.

I also LOVE how someone posted the G35 interior with NAV and then posts a rare IS MANUAL with no NAV and a 3 series with NO NAV.

Be fair, post either all of them WITH NAV/LOADED or all of them BASIC.
I also LOVE the sarcasm. Especially when the underlying implication is wrong.
All G35s come with an LCD.

Most reviews state, Infiniti is the sportier car, Lexus is the more luxurious one. Somehow we have people in here that want to go against the grain and of course claim they are unbiased.
because the "grain" (you, the other member here who does writeups, and a bunch of magazines) is unbiased, right?

---

Yes, many mags might agree with some of your opinions. However, that does not make any of those opinions facts. It is probably worth noting in an internet argument you are trying to make to others who might not know better, but at the end of the day everyone is free to believe what they want - you and those who have different views.

Last edited by Tekknikal; 05-15-08 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 05:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
not every mag believes the updated G interior to be a notch below "the competition."
Show me one then. Stop being so defensive, no one said its poor, just in most peoples expert opinion it is still not "there".
but even if they did, it's still subjective and based on opinion. the fact that 90% of people think something may not matter to the 10% that think otherwise. if someone has experienced both and comes to the opinion that one to be preferable, you can't say that because magazines prefer something else, their opinion is wrong.

If one mag said it, yeah, that is something to note. If ALL the experts say it, well then, you have to take it as having serious validity.

first off, unless you work with nissan/infiniti you don't know why the interior is upgraded. my guess (which is at least as valid as yours) is that the car is due for its mid model update, so they're launching the updated car in europe first and will apply it here as well. not unlike the gt-r revisions which will apply to US cars and also go into effect on the rest of the line.

No I am not guessing. In CAR AND EVO and Infiniti execs stated they are UPGRADING THE INTERIORS B/C THE EUROPEAN MARKET IS MORE FUSSY. Maybe you don't read as many reviews as I do, that is fine. I am telling you what I read, i've said it here a few times before. THis is a FACT. Don't take it as a "slight" b/c you see ME posting it. I don't scan anymore. Maybe you can find the link to the article at their site.

but even if they did upgrade the interior just for europe, by logical argument, that does not mean they felt that the interior was inferior to the is/3.

You do realize the IS/3 interiors are the same in Europe as here. So why would Nissan feel the need to change? Its b/c the feel THEY COULD DO BETTER and the Euro market demands more.

and even if they did feel that way, that's still not relevant to those who sit in the is/3/g and prefer the g.

They can. I really like the interior of the "G", it flows VERY VERY well and is easy on the eyes. NAV screen is great, I really like the aluminum trim's feel. Again, I and no one here says its bad. It seems we would mostly agree the 3 is the worst of this bunch BUT it is VAULT solid.

I also LOVE the sarcasm. Especially when the underlying implication is wrong.
All G35s come with an LCD.
Sir, it is Not sarcasm, that is truth, look at the pics. YOU DON'T THINK THAT IS BIAS? How about lets post pics salma hayek, mylessa ford and Eva Longoria, Salma is in a bathing suit and the other two fully clothed. of CHOOSING BARE BONES 3/IS TO POST AND THEN A LOADED G35? That is just a bad and unfair decision. Here is FAIR

But hey, lets play YOUR game, so let me post pics of the IS-F interior. Yeah, that is fair.

because the "grain" (you, the other member here who does writeups, and a
bunch of magazines) is unbiased, right?

---

Yes, many mags might agree with some of your opinions. However, that does not make any of those opinions facts. It is probably worth noting in an internet argument you are trying to make to others who might not know better, but at the end of the day everyone is free to believe what they want - you and those who have different views.

I agree 100%, 100%. They can think the Kia Rio has the best interior ever.

We dance this dance all the time. The usual Nissan guys vs Me. I think though, we have gotten better and it is CLEAR all these cars are superb and making MANY owners very happy.

If you read my posts (not just the ones yall want to argue with) I point out the IS shortcomings and Lexus in general.

BTW, Infiniti has a nationwide G35 sedan lease for 24 months for $349 a month and I think 3k down. THAT IS A SMOOOOKING deal.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-15-08 at 05:56 PM.

Old 05-15-08, 06:28 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by McMuffin

man, BMW really needs to overhaul their 3 series interiors...embarassingly plain blah.

no comparison to G35 + IS.
Old 05-15-08, 06:50 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
man, BMW really needs to overhaul their 3 series interiors...embarassingly plain blah.

no comparison to G35 + IS.
Why do they? they have a large market share and it is not decreasing... seems like their designs work to the consumers...
Old 05-15-08, 06:57 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by darkdream
Why do they? they have a large market share and it is not decreasing... seems like their designs work to the consumers...
Which does show the power the the BMW badge, b/c even most owners here admit, the interior is not a selling point. They are very well built though, IMO better than anything else in this class.

They cannot rest on laurels though. Audi and Benz's new A4/C class is great. Now the Japanse are serious with the IS/TL/G35.

Speaking of the TL, that is another really good interior.

Old 05-15-08, 07:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

their interiors are not selling cars....its the handling/engines/exterior/badge.
Old 05-16-08, 02:54 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

There's no doubt that the G/IS have better interiors than the 335i.

Now, when it comes down to the G vs IS interior debate, it all comes down to personal preference. The IS is nothing more than your expected luxuries interior, whereas the G mixes luxury with sport for their interiors.

Old 05-16-08, 11:00 AM
soakgame
Lead Lap

i think i like the IS interior out of the three.. there's just something about seeing that "L" on the steering wheel

bmw interiors =
Old 05-16-08, 11:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69

The 1 thing that really turned me off of the G35 is how loud the engine is. Some like the roar of an engine but coming from a Lexus LS 400, you might not ... ? My neighbor has 1 & I can hear every time he leaves or comes home; even from inside. Infiniti is kind of like the opposite of Lexus in the luxury world: they stress performance over luxury.
That is ESPECIALLY true of the coupe--you hear that thing coming blocks away. I would get tired of that real quick
Old 05-16-08, 12:00 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When car companies rest on their laurels and past reputation is when they falter. You could make the same argument about BMW reliability--why bother improving it when they have a large market share that isn't decreasing?

Look thru CL--there's always a raging debate BMW vs. Lexus. I'm sure that it's the same on Infiniti, MB and Audi forums too. In the Lexus forums, from what I've seen, a majority of posters favor Lexus interiors. If BMW upgraded its interior, wouldn't there be one less reason to lose customers to competitors?
Old 05-16-08, 01:16 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
When car companies rest on their laurels and past reputation is when they falter. You could make the same argument about BMW reliability--why bother improving it when they have a large market share that isn't decreasing?

Look thru CL--there's always a raging debate BMW vs. Lexus. I'm sure that it's the same on Infiniti, MB and Audi forums too. In the Lexus forums, from what I've seen, a majority of posters favor Lexus interiors. If BMW upgraded its interior, wouldn't there be one less reason to lose customers to competitors?
You can make that exact same argument about Lexus and their driving dynamics and ride. Many people in this topic have responded to NOT make Lexus like a BMW. If Lexus made a car or a few cars that had more BMW like driving dynamics wouldn't that be one less reason for them to loose customers to the competition?

Quick Reply: what do you guys think of the infiniti g35?