Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what do you guys think of the infiniti g35?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 02:31 PM
soakgame
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you guys think of the infiniti g35?

i've been thinking lately about trading in the GS400.. it's getting up there in miles and i'm starting to get the new car itch.. it's going to be hard to leave the lexus family though

what do you guys think of the g35 (sport)?

i don't plan on getting it anytime soon.. i want to buy a used 2008 in a year or two (when the car depreciates a little bit)
Old 05-13-08, 02:39 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soakgame
i've been thinking lately about trading in the GS400.. it's getting up there in miles and i'm starting to get the new car itch.. it's going to be hard to leave the lexus family though

what do you guys think of the g35 (sport)?

i don't plan on getting it anytime soon.. i want to buy a used 2008 in a year or two (when the car depreciates a little bit)
I'm a big fan of Infiniti right now. I love the new redesinged G35 Sedan. I was always a fan of the previous coupe, but not so much the sedan. Now, I actually like the sedan more than the G37 Coupe. There are a lot that I like about the G35S. The fit and finish and interior quality is worlds better than the previous version. I would say on par with Lexus. Obviously when I test drove one it was brand new compared to my 99 LS400, but I enjoyed the comfort and feel of the G just as well. My LS4 only had 50K miles on it so it wasn't like it was in bad shape either. I like the A/V inputs. I love the sports seats similar to those in my BMW 3. Loved the handling. Power from the 306 HP V6 felt just as smooth and good as the V8 power in my LS. The 5-Speed tranny also shifted smooth. Over all, I think it is a great car.
Old 05-13-08, 02:53 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

I test drove a G37 S the other day and absolutely loved it! Perfect balance of technology, power, handling, and reliability.
Old 05-13-08, 03:12 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I test drove an 07 G35 sedan when I was narrowing down my choices of cars to buy (ended up with an IS350!). It is a nice car. It handles well, and has good power. For me, the styling was not quite as good as the IS, or I might have bought one.
Old 05-13-08, 06:14 PM
LexFather

I had a thread saying its the best value in class but NOT the best car. For the price and the usual Infiniti low lease deals, its hard to beat.

The interior is better than last, its faster than the last one, handles just as good and has more features. Its also a good size, nearly the size of the GS for 20k less.

It handles great and the engine is torquey and the usual Wards Winner.

The exterior to me is an absolute mess, like a melted gummy worm. The brand does nothing for me as I cannot forget all their failures in the past and their so so future. Europe gets an ugraded interior and 7 speed auto, America has to wait.

So value wise, its almost a no brainer. Overall, for me, its missing an "S" and a "0" at the end of its name

Old 05-13-08, 06:23 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it looks ugly and such although the interior is many times better than the previous one... i am glad i was talked out of it... you should get the G37 instead...
Old 05-13-08, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Definitely a nice sport/luxury sedan. The interior is now much better than the initial models of several years ago. I like the fact that it offers an AWD version for bad weather. Also, for a little more money, check out the M35 and M35 Sport...their interiors are even nicer, and they also offer AWD.
Old 05-13-08, 07:03 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice car especially for the money - I like the coupe much better tho.....even better than the IS coupe, wait......never mind.
Old 05-13-08, 07:34 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I had a thread saying its the best value in class but NOT the best car. For the price and the usual Infiniti low lease deals, its hard to beat.
Your opinion is that it is NOT the best car in its class, but many people do consider the G35 best in class regardless of its value.
Old 05-13-08, 08:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'm a big fan of Infiniti right now. I love the new redesinged G35 Sedan. I was always a fan of the previous coupe, but not so much the sedan. Now, I actually like the sedan more than the G37 Coupe. There are a lot that I like about the G35S. The fit and finish and interior quality is worlds better than the previous version. I would say on par with Lexus. Obviously when I test drove one it was brand new compared to my 99 LS400, but I enjoyed the comfort and feel of the G just as well. My LS4 only had 50K miles on it so it wasn't like it was in bad shape either. I like the A/V inputs. I love the sports seats similar to those in my BMW 3. Loved the handling. Power from the 306 HP V6 felt just as smooth and good as the V8 power in my LS. The 5-Speed tranny also shifted smooth. Over all, I think it is a great car.
I feel the same way, loved the original G35 coupe and not really impressed with the sedan but now with the new ones I think I might like the sedan better then the new coupe although the difference is not nearly as big as how I felt about the originals. The original G35 had some bad areas like pretty cheap low rent easily scratched plastics. The silver plastic trim is horrible and scratches and wears easy. Also the poor gas mileage is dissapointing especially these days, there was poor headroom in the rear seats too and it felt pretty cramped where a 3 series or Acura CL at that time had more room and were more comfortable. The new G37 coupe just does not look as good as the original and lost most of the curves and shape that made the original so good looking, the interior has nicer materials but the overall interior design looks more Nissan to me then something upscale. The G37 coupe even with all the extra hp is not really much faster then the sedan and slower then less powerful competing cars(IS350,335i) which is dissapointing.

Still I think they are one of the best looking coupes on the road and are good performers too. I heavily considered getting one but some of the negatives kept me from going through with it. If I wanted a second car and found a good deal on the original G35 coupe in black, grey, or silver it would be very tempting.

Last edited by UDel; 05-13-08 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Saw one recently and immediately thought "why would anyone buy a GS for more money?"

Great package.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-15-08 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 09:23 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the G37 is impressive, but the G35's engine is overrated... If they
are coming out with a G37 sedan I would wait (it looks way better than the
coupe anyways).
Old 05-13-08, 09:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Your opinion is that it is NOT the best car in its class, but many people do consider the G35 best in class regardless of its value.
My opinion= Universe
other opinions= mercury, I'll give them Neptune

Of course some people think its best in class, probably owners for one. That is fine with me.

If you read most reviews, "Value" comes up and the new G35 has not won any comparo. Those are facts.

Please, no one is saying the G35 is a poor car. You can search under 1SICKREVIEW to see my feelings after driving it. I really was impressed.

Old 05-13-08, 10:19 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Mike and Mike,

How do the interior materials of the new G35 compare to other cars in its class? The reason I have been recommending people think carefully before getting the G is because I've seen on a few different examples how the previous G35 interior wears down just after 3 years. My sister, who it took 1 hour to explain the difference between an alloy and steel wheel, said on her own that she thought the IS and 3 series felt much higher quality on the inside compared to the new G35 when she was shopping for one.

Soakgame, have you driven the car yet? The GS and G35 are still very different cars. Go with your gut. The G is a great value.
Old 05-13-08, 10:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
Mike and Mike,

How do the interior materials of the new G35 compare to other cars in its class? The reason I have been recommending people think carefully before getting the G is because I've seen on a few different examples how the previous G35 interior wears down just after 3 years. My sister, who it took 1 hour to explain the difference between an alloy and steel wheel, said on her own that she thought the IS and 3 series felt much higher quality on the inside compared to the new G35 when she was shopping for one.

Soakgame, have you driven the car yet? The GS and G35 are still very different cars. Go with your gut. The G is a great value.
Good question. My sentiments (I'll let Mike speak for himself) are consistent with mag reviews. The new G35 interior is leaps and bounds better than the previous version but it still is not as well put together and the quality of materials is a step behind Lexus/BMW. I have to say it LOOKS better than the 3 series to me and to be honest, you have to be one that "knows" about cars to tell the difference, it is no longer blatantly obvious. Nissan/INfiniti is coming a LOOOONG way with their interiors. The new Murano interior is just as good as a G35, I was floored by it.

Look no further than comparing the 1st gen steering wheel with the 2nd gen. Big difference. Infiniti now has Lexus-like electroluminescent lights, no longer the puke orange, big difference in feel.

Considering the car IS a Nissan Skyline, just rebadged here, it does a great job to me with the interior.

As I stated before, Infiniti knows it has opportunities, thus they will sell ALL Infiniti's in Europe with upgraded interiors, leather/switches, etc. Those interiors should be truly superb.

I have no issues with the G35 interior today, especially considering its price, which is lowest in class with a big V-6. I do have issues with the 3 interior, b/c for the price I feel it should be a lot better than something that looks designed from 1972.

Quick Reply: what do you guys think of the infiniti g35?