Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Paul McCartney's carbon footprint is criticized - LS600hL Gift! (New Picture)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Since McCartney is a noted animal-rights activist, what's he going to say about the LS600H's leather seats, trim, and steering wheel?

Hmmmmmm.........a strange silence.
Old 05-15-08, 11:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I know where I wanna leave my carbon footprint.

There is good tree hugging and bad tree hugging. This is bad and done more for publicity more than anything.

Are they outside Bugatti bishing about a W12 quad turbo 45000 lbs coupe? Nope.

Originally Posted by Threxx
Sounds like the 600h is a lot more expensive over there.
Every car is more expensive there.

Old 05-15-08, 12:42 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Since McCartney is a noted animal-rights activist, what's he going to say about the LS600H's leather seats, trim, and steering wheel?

Hmmmmmm.........a strange silence.
Good point! I'm looking forward to the spin Paul puts on this.
Old 05-15-08, 12:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The leather may be an issue but the wood in Lexus vehicles comes from sustainable plantations, which should assuage some environmental concerns.
Old 05-15-08, 04:14 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hippies....

everytime i eat mexican i leave a huge carbon footprint
Old 05-15-08, 08:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I don't believe McCartney ordered the car - it was a thank you gift from Lexus, right? So he probably wasn't involved in the shipping logistics either.

So anyone criticizing him is a bit off base perhaps.

If Lexus did a flight JUST to ship over his car that's absurd, but I doubt they did that. It was probably either with other cargo or just part of a bigger shipment of Lexus stuff.
Old 05-16-08, 05:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't believe McCartney ordered the car - it was a thank you gift from Lexus, right? So he probably wasn't involved in the shipping logistics either.

So anyone criticizing him is a bit off base perhaps.
Yes, I agree the car was a gift beyond his control, but if his convictions about animals are as strong as he says they are, he would not acccept it. It would not be a money issue either..........with his money, he could afford a more expensive car than an LS600 if he wanted. He's one of the richest musicians in the world.

I happen to believe in some animal rights myself, though not to the extent he does.
Old 05-16-08, 08:15 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know where I wanna leave my carbon footprint.

Could not have illustrated that better myself. For once, based on the statement: "It's like driving the car 300 times around the world," says Gary Rumbold, the director of the British branch of co2balance, which helps businesses and individuals gauge their carbon emissions footprint McCartney should "Not Listen To What The Man Says!!!"
Old 05-16-08, 07:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

OMG people bug out about the stupidest things. like this guy that is always telling people to walk to work and not abuise the enviroment ( also smells like dog crap) thats always at a coffee place by my school. i mean really, stupid things like this dont help the enviroment, they just **** people off. he told some guy in a hummer he had a " nice car" (sarcasm intended) and he almost got his *** kicked by him. off topic but anyways. instead of worrying about stupid **** like this, find a way to lower the price of gas
Old 05-27-08, 04:58 AM
dfiorito
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paul McCartney - LS600lh

See article below - It seems the more money you have, the less you have to spend

Paul McCartney's carbon footprint is criticized
May 14, 2008, 10:38 AM EST
Sometimes it seems Paul McCartney can't win for losing.

The former Beatle has long been an outspoken advocate of environmental causes and animal rights. He is a vegetarian who won't even wear leather shoes. But now he's being criticized for having a hybrid Japanese car flown to him in Britain rather than having it sent by ship.

It must have seemed like a good idea at the time. The car in question is an $158,000 Lexus LS 600h, a luxury sedan that offers both high performance and a reassuring "green" patina because it uses a hybrid system that relies on an electric motor at low speeds.

Best of all, it was to be a gift from the Lexus car company, which sponsored McCartney's 2005 tour of the United States.

But environmentalists quickly pointed out that the use of a cargo plane to deliver the car to England completely offset any environmental gains resulting from the car's use.

"It's like driving the car 300 times around the world," says Gary Rumbold, the director of the British branch of co2balance, which helps businesses and individuals gauge their carbon emissions footprint. "It seems like somebody at Lexus made an error in judgment. They wanted to get something to McCartney promptly, but it backfired. They should have waited a few weeks and sent it by ship."

He said it would have been far less damaging to the environment in terms of carbon emitted into the atmosphere to have shipped the car by sea because so much more cargo can be fitted on a ship than in the cargo hold of a jet.

Rumbold also questioned whether a high performance car such as the LS Lexus 600h — with a powerful 1.3-gallon (5-liter) V-8 engine and a top speed of 155 mph (250 kph) — is actually the best use of promising hybrid technology.

It was not clear if McCartney knew the vehicle would be sent to him via air freight rather than by ship. Rumbold said it seems likely the singer was an innocent victim of a mistake made by Lexus executives.

McCartney's spokesman, Stuart Bell, confirmed that the musician had received the car as a gift and that it had been flown to Britain, but said he could not comment about the decision to use a plane until he had all the details.

David Crouch, a spokesman for Lexus in Britain, said the company also would not comment on the McCartney car delivery.

He did say the LS 600h is a top-of-the-line hybrid designed to compete against the expensive Mercedes S Class and BMW 7 Series since its introduction in Britain late last year. Some 227 have been sold despite the starting price, which rises quickly when more options are added, he said.

"It's selling very well," he said. "You have a gasoline engine which works in conjunction with an electric motor. What it means is the car can run on either power source. At lower speeds it runs on electric power so there is no fuel consumption and no emissions, and if you need higher speeds, the petrol works with the electric motor to give you what you need."

McCartney has had an unusually close relationship with Lexus in recent years. In addition to the sponsorship deal, the ex-Beatle — who shies away from product endorsements — has publicly praised Lexus for producing environmentally sensitive cars.

The carmaker also produced a one-of-a-kind McCartney-themed hybrid SUV that was sold off to benefit an anti-landmine charity favored by McCartney and gave one of his recent CD releases a special spot on the company's Web site.
Old 07-03-08, 07:10 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Picture of McCartney with LS600hL

Posted in the LS forum by encore888, update it here as well

It has cloth seats . . .

MORE : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...eamacca103.xml

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-03-08 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 07-03-08, 08:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Such is vegetarian Sir Paul’s passion for animal rights issues and the environment that he took out the leather interior and had it replaced with cloth
thats why he got cloth
Old 07-03-08, 08:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Wish there will be pictures of the cloth interior . . .
Old 07-03-08, 09:26 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't blame Paul, he got real ticked off when he found out how it was transported

If we would only follow Al Gore's example we can solve global warming

Whoops, sorry I forgot they now call it climate change. They found out it really isn't getting warmer so it is now called climate change. Now they can have it both ways, if it gets warmer or cooler they can blame us for driving our cars
Old 07-05-08, 07:18 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The good news is that Paul's recent ex-wife only leaves half the carbon footprint that he does...

Quick Reply: Paul McCartney's carbon footprint is criticized - LS600hL Gift! (New Picture)