Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Paul McCartney's carbon footprint is criticized - LS600hL Gift! (New Picture)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 07:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by silvervett
Whoops, sorry I forgot they now call it climate change. They found out it really isn't getting warmer so it is now called climate change. Now they can have it both ways, if it gets warmer or cooler they can blame us for driving our cars
Yup. It's also referred to as "weather happens."
Old 07-05-08, 07:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
It has cloth seats . . .
if I could get a nicer car that way, I would.
Old 07-05-08, 09:52 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of the articles say it was flown in via Korean Air. Do they have cargo-only flights???
Old 07-05-08, 10:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Such is vegetarian Sir Paul’s passion for animal rights issues and the environment that he took out the leather interior and had it replaced with cloth
....and this brought the animal back to life,........ how?

It's already sewn into your seat frame paul, enjoy.
Old 07-08-08, 08:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.

It doesn't, & I'm no animal rights activist, I like premium leather seats, but I can certainly understand why he replaced them with fabric.

First, you are surrounded by leather & in direct contact with them when you're seating in a 600hL, you won't feel comfortable about that if you are repulsed by the idea of dead animal skins for seats & trims, plus its the image he wants to portray with the cloth seats.
Old 07-08-08, 08:19 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

But then what happens to the old seats? Are they just thrown out? Are the cows killed for no reason then?
Old 07-08-08, 08:35 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.

Originally Posted by RX_330
But then what happens to the old seats? Are they just thrown out? Are the cows killed for no reason then?
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I hope Paul is happy that an animal died in part for nothing. They might as well have thrown all the beef away too.
Old 07-08-08, 08:37 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Come on people give the guy a break, he is just standing up for what he believes in. The seats will be used in another car but that makes one less set and a few less dead cows of seats that will be used in a Lexus.

I don't think it really matters at all because my guess is they are just using the skins from the thousands of cows that a killed every day for food. If they kill them for food the may as will not throw away the skins. If a cow is killed it is better to use as much of it as the can and using every part of the animal shows more respect than just throwing the skin away.

You dont have to agree with him to respect his commitment to his beliefs.

I happen to be very pro gun and pro 2nd amendment, but what if Sarah Brady was given a pick up truck with a built in gun rack in the back. I am totally against what the Brady bunch stands for but I would respect them for not wanting a truck with a gun rack.
Old 07-08-08, 08:38 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, all this brings up another thing I take issue with.

That the rich and famous get so much handed to them for free.

Why do they even need to make money? Everywhere they go probably ends up being a complimentary visit by the business.

It's like being the President. He get's paid but doesn't actually need money.
Old 07-08-08, 08:49 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Come on people give the guy a break, he is just standing up for what he believes in...
He should be driving a Honda Civic then. If he "cares" so much for the environment then he wouldn't feel the need to lavish himself with excess.
An LS600hL uses a lot of resources to construct and is no gas miser as the hybrid system is there for added power.

I don't think it really matters at all because my guess is they are just using the skins from the thousands of cows that a killed every day for food. If they kill them for food the may as will not throw away the skins. If a cow is killed it is better to use as much of it as the can and using every part of the animal shows more respect than just throwing the skin away.
I agree with this. That's why I have no problem buying leather goods. The cows aren't being killed for leather but rather for beef. The leather is a bonus.
Old 07-08-08, 08:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Come on people give the guy a break, he is just standing up for what he believes in. The seats will be used in another car but that makes one less set and a few less dead cows of seats that will be used in a Lexus.
We don't know if the seats will be used on another car, because it does not look like Lexus replaced them for him, more likely custom fabric that he replaced the leather with, since it's green fabric that he got :
Such is vegetarian Sir Paul's passion for issues surrounding animal rights and the environment that he took out the leather interior and had it replaced with cloth.

The singer demanded that no animal products were used in his new car and it has been fitted with a hand-stitched green woven fabric.
FROM : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...les-Japan.html

AFAIK, there are no green fabric seats directly from Lexus for any model. The fabric seats for the base IS250 in Canada are black fabric only. I am not aware of other Toyota models with green fabric seats either. So I think it's more likely that McCartney ordered custom fabric to replace the leather ?

You dont have to agree with him to respect his commitment to his beliefs.

I happen to be very pro gun and pro 2nd amendment, but what if Sarah Brady was given a pick up truck with a built in gun rack in the back. I am totally against what the Brady bunch stands for but I would respect them for not wanting a truck with a gun rack.
I agree
Old 07-08-08, 06:30 PM
LexFather

Wow, I guess we need to find out of the people that built the LS 600h L are vegetarians or do they eat meat.....and what cars they drive....

Old 07-08-08, 08:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
BTW, all this brings up another thing I take issue with.

That the rich and famous get so much handed to them for free.
Your bitterness/jealousy/envy at those you define as rich or famous is wasted energy. Better to put it toward becoming rich and/or famous.

Why do they even need to make money? Everywhere they go probably ends up being a complimentary visit by the business.
What famous people get given doesn't come anywhere close to what these folks SPEND so the gifts are pretty meaningless as a source of wealth. Paul McCartney could buy several thousand LS600hLs and not even notice the money gone.