Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Paul McCartney's carbon footprint is criticized - LS600hL Gift! (New Picture)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 09:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Paul McCartney's carbon footprint is criticized - LS600hL Gift! (New Picture)

By GREGORY KATZ – 12 hours ago

LONDON (AP) — Sometimes it seems Paul McCartney can't win for losing.

The former Beatle has long been an outspoken advocate of environmental causes and animal rights. He is a vegetarian who won't even wear leather shoes. But now he's being criticized for having a hybrid Japanese car flown to him in Britain rather than having it sent by ship.

It must have seemed like a good idea at the time. The car in question is an $158,000 Lexus LS 600h, a luxury sedan that offers both high performance and a reassuring "green" patina because it uses a hybrid system that relies on an electric motor at low speeds.

Best of all, it was to be a gift from the Lexus car company, which sponsored McCartney's 2005 tour of the United States.

But environmentalists quickly pointed out that the use of a cargo plane to deliver the car to England completely offset any environmental gains resulting from the car's use.

"It's like driving the car 300 times around the world," says Gary Rumbold, the director of the British branch of co2balance, which helps businesses and individuals gauge their carbon emissions footprint. "It seems like somebody at Lexus made an error in judgment. They wanted to get something to McCartney promptly, but it backfired. They should have waited a few weeks and sent it by ship."

He said it would have been far less damaging to the environment in terms of carbon emitted into the atmosphere to have shipped the car by sea because so much more cargo can be fitted on a ship than in the cargo hold of a jet.

Rumbold also questioned whether a high performance car such as the LS Lexus 600h — with a powerful 1.3-gallon (5-liter) V-8 engine and a top speed of 155 mph (250 kph) — is actually the best use of promising hybrid technology.

It was not clear if McCartney knew the vehicle would be sent to him via air freight rather than by ship. Rumbold said it seems likely the singer was an innocent victim of a mistake made by Lexus executives.

McCartney's spokesman, Stuart Bell, confirmed that the musician had received the car as a gift and that it had been flown to Britain, but said he could not comment about the decision to use a plane until he had all the details.

David Crouch, a spokesman for Lexus in Britain, said the company also would not comment on the McCartney car delivery.

He did say the LS 600h is a top-of-the-line hybrid designed to compete against the expensive Mercedes S Class and BMW 7 Series since its introduction in Britain late last year. Some 227 have been sold despite the starting price, which rises quickly when more options are added, he said.

"It's selling very well," he said. "You have a gasoline engine which works in conjunction with an electric motor. What it means is the car can run on either power source. At lower speeds it runs on electric power so there is no fuel consumption and no emissions, and if you need higher speeds, the petrol works with the electric motor to give you what you need."

McCartney has had an unusually close relationship with Lexus in recent years. In addition to the sponsorship deal, the ex-Beatle — who shies away from product endorsements — has publicly praised Lexus for producing environmentally sensitive cars.

The carmaker also produced a one-of-a-kind McCartney-themed hybrid SUV that was sold off to benefit an anti-landmine charity favored by McCartney and gave one of his recent CD releases a special spot on the company's Web site.

Source: Associated Press
Old 05-14-08, 09:36 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People need to calm down about this stuff. What about the thousands and thousands of Trans-Atlantic flights every day? You don't think those leave a mark on the environment? And I bet none of the environmentalists have ever been on an air plane...

Last edited by PVlexus; 05-14-08 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 09:51 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PVlexus
People need to calm down about this stuff. What about the thousands and thousands of Trans-Atlantic flights every day? You don't think those leave a mark on the environment? And I bet none of the environmentalists have ever been on a air plane...
This is what I think about every time someone has something to say about reduction in fule usage ... talk to me when they stop flying people places ... especially intercontinental flights
Old 05-14-08, 10:12 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

LOL....People are just jealous Lexus Corp. didn't give them a free LS600h to drive around...jkjk

No one will ever be happy!!!

I bet the cargo plane had more than one car, I mean c'mon, this just makes me angry!!!

Its like saying the President shouldn't ride Air Force One because he is trying to be environmentally friendly!!!

If Al Gore was elected would he ride Air Force One, always thought about that!!!
Old 05-15-08, 06:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

oh good lord, get off his back and complain about something worthwhile like Chevron buying the patent to the NiMh batteries that go 120 miles on one charge for $180 million...a piddly sum for them.
Old 05-15-08, 07:24 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Default Gotta love Paul McCartney...

Good call Sgt. Pepper...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126285
Old 05-15-08, 07:53 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Are you serious?

If I were Paul, I would make them all happy by buying up a Hummer dealership and burning it to the ground...oh, wait, the amount of pollution a burning factory would have on the environment is like 2 dealerships of hummers being driven forever! You just can't win!
Old 05-15-08, 08:12 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the 600h is a lot more expensive over there.
Old 05-15-08, 08:27 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People are so stupid with this whole carbon footprint thing. In 20 years, we're going look back on it with similar reverence to the War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast that scared the stink out of a lot of people. I think the Southpark episode got it right
Old 05-15-08, 09:02 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another classic case of the corporate world just not quite in tune with what's going on. To ship that LS by huge jet offset any ecological savings that the hybrid car would have made for probably the next 5 years. It will be interesting to see what sir Paul says.
Old 05-15-08, 09:16 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

It'll be interesting to hear what sir Paul says about it. I'll bet he keeps the car!!
Old 05-15-08, 09:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I know where I wanna leave my carbon footprint.

Old 05-15-08, 09:36 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

^^^ That is hilarious! Thanks for a good laff!
Old 05-15-08, 10:09 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If he rejects it, you gotta believe they'll just fly it back . . .
Old 05-15-08, 10:14 AM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Maybe they were trying to pay tribute to his "Band on the Run" era.... "Jet" is a pretty good song

Doesn't say if the plane was carrying anything else.... maybe it was just headed that way anyways Nothing wrong with hitching a ride

Quick Reply: Paul McCartney's carbon footprint is criticized - LS600hL Gift! (New Picture)