Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Comparo: 1) FX35 AWD, 2) X6 xDrive35i AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 01:53 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
You've been living under a rock for the last year or so??? Read the reviews. Even with the $20,000 markup, it's still under $120,000 and will beat anything BMW has to offer, past, present or future.
The comment was
"I have tried to reason with myself that others drive just as good but nothing under $120k drives as good as most Bimmers"

Maybe you take "drive" to mean perform. I certainly did not take it that way as there is plenty out there that will outperform BMW at a lower cost. But does it "drive" as good? More often that not, it does not.

Now, couple of things
1. I have not driven a GT-R
2. Even at $20K markup, you probably still can't get your hand on a GT-R. Go for it, I dare ya
3. Drive is subjective, but here are two quotes from Autoweek in their GT-R comparison with the IS-F (and they DID drive the car)

"The GT-R is the faster car, but it is not necessarily better to drive. With the cars hot-shoed back-to-back, the character of the Lexus makes up for its power and overall speed deficit. When you tickle the throttle in mid-corner, the rear end is in your hands, controlled easily as it helps you steer. The V8 begs to be revved and loves to be machine-gunned through the eight-speed 'box."

"In comparison, the GT-R takes things a step further, with far more brake feel and power. And still, although the GT-R is flat-out faster, the IS-F manages to be more satisfying to drive. Nissan describes its stallion as an "anyone, anytime, anywhere" machine, but the GT-R leaves you feeling like a secondary part of the man-machine interface."

So yes, I have read the reviews. Have you?
Old 05-17-08, 08:42 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doug_999
The comment was
"I have tried to reason with myself that others drive just as good but nothing under $120k drives as good as most Bimmers"

Maybe you take "drive" to mean perform. I certainly did not take it that way as there is plenty out there that will outperform BMW at a lower cost. But does it "drive" as good? More often that not, it does not.

Now, couple of things
1. I have not driven a GT-R
2. Even at $20K markup, you probably still can't get your hand on a GT-R. Go for it, I dare ya
3. Drive is subjective, but here are two quotes from Autoweek in their GT-R comparison with the IS-F (and they DID drive the car)

"The GT-R is the faster car, but it is not necessarily better to drive. With the cars hot-shoed back-to-back, the character of the Lexus makes up for its power and overall speed deficit. When you tickle the throttle in mid-corner, the rear end is in your hands, controlled easily as it helps you steer. The V8 begs to be revved and loves to be machine-gunned through the eight-speed 'box."

"In comparison, the GT-R takes things a step further, with far more brake feel and power. And still, although the GT-R is flat-out faster, the IS-F manages to be more satisfying to drive. Nissan describes its stallion as an "anyone, anytime, anywhere" machine, but the GT-R leaves you feeling like a secondary part of the man-machine interface."

So yes, I have read the reviews. Have you?
Have you read the many other reviews? If you're so focused on "driving feel" you might as well strap a hemi engine onto a go-kart and call it a day.
Old 05-17-08, 08:46 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Magazines races
Old 05-20-08, 09:05 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Have you read the many other reviews? If you're so focused on "driving feel" you might as well strap a hemi engine onto a go-kart and call it a day.
Yes, a combo of a big engine and a go-kart often do make the perfect "driving feel"
Old 05-20-08, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Top Gear just tested the X6 and blasted it pretty badly. They didn't mind the drive but didn't get the point and they must have had 3 total paragraphs on how ugly it is.

Basically they summed it up with the name. 4.4 turbo become a X60 50. BMW tells people whatever the hell it wants. This is no coupe either.

Old 05-20-08, 09:09 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The bickering aside; keep in mind that ,"driving feel" is subjective. Many and I mean many people (minus magazines) do not like how BMWs ,"feel". Period. They would rate the ,"feel" down to the bottom. Just because one person likes how a car feels should not mean that everyone should believe and/or want the same thing and then to argue about it makes even less sense.
I like how my laptop feels, so what? I care less what anyone else things about my laptop or cars. It's MINE.
Old 05-20-08, 09:35 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
The bickering aside; keep in mind that ,"driving feel" is subjective. Many and I mean many people (minus magazines) do not like how BMWs ,"feel". Period. They would rate the ,"feel" down to the bottom. Just because one person likes how a car feels should not mean that everyone should believe and/or want the same thing and then to argue about it makes even less sense.
I like how my laptop feels, so what? I care less what anyone else things about my laptop or cars. It's MINE.
Well....
Agree and disagree...
I agree because my wife hates how my BMW "drives" - it responds rapidly to input and coming from her MDX, the car can be jumpy to her. So I agree with you that not everyone will enjoy the driving feel.

However, we are talking sporting cars here (BMW, GT-R, IS-F etc) and the fact is that these cars should be driver orientated and have "driving feel". Ya may not like this type of "feel" but then again, you probably aren't shopping in this category then.
Old 05-20-08, 09:41 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Well....
Agree and disagree...
I agree because my wife hates how my BMW "drives" - it responds rapidly to input and coming from her MDX, the car can be jumpy to her. So I agree with you that not everyone will enjoy the driving feel.

However, we are talking sporting cars here (BMW, GT-R, IS-F etc) and the fact is that these cars should be driver orientated and have "driving feel". Ya may not like this type of "feel" but then again, you probably aren't shopping in this category then.
Again, that is your opinion of what a sporty car should feel like. I may like something completely different. Do you drive in the same manner as I do? Or others? Some would prefer to having slower steering. Vette owners and certainly Porsche owners are constantly bashing BMW for their poor driving feel. Again, would you agree? Not everyone can agree about the same thing and driving feel in a sports car or a limo is completely subjective.

This thread is about 2 SUVs in a comparo and yet look at all of the threads over a few tangents that got started.
Old 05-21-08, 02:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use my "useless" X3 to haul items that can't be hauled in a wagon or sedan/coupe. Same can be said of the X6. Try loading this stuff in a 3 or 5 sries wagon without weighing it down.

Once the load is out, one can have some serious fun with these machines.. The X6 an offspring of the 6 series coupe..
Old 05-21-08, 03:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I use my "useless" X3 to haul items that can't be hauled in a wagon or sedan/coupe. Same can be said of the X6. Try loading this stuff in a 3 or 5 sries wagon without weighing it down.

Once the load is out, one can have some serious fun with these machines.. The X6 an offspring of the 6 series coupe..
Comeon, you can fit more crap into the trunk of a Honda Civic.
Old 05-21-08, 07:48 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER

Home Depot shopper, recognize those bricks and I used the same potting soil.
Old 05-21-08, 05:37 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Well....
Agree and disagree...

Who cares about "driving feel" when you're lapping the Nurburgring in 7 minutes and 29 seconds.
Old 05-21-08, 05:43 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Who cares about "driving feel" when you're lapping the Nurburgring in 7 minutes and 29 seconds.
I would love to give that course a run through. Doubt I would set any records.
Old 05-21-08, 09:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Comeon, you can fit more crap into the trunk of a Honda Civic.
Yeah but it won't be very drivable.

Old 05-22-08, 03:43 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yeah but it won't be very drivable.
because on the way home from home depot you got sidetracked and decided to goto a track with potting soil and bricks in your trunk? makes no sense.

Quick Reply: MT Comparo: 1) FX35 AWD, 2) X6 xDrive35i AWD