Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Comparo: 1) FX35 AWD, 2) X6 xDrive35i AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 07:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yeah but it won't be very drivable.

Bit, not true at all. You've posted a pick of a silly modified Civic that is undriveable to begin with. In seriousness, notice the rear wheel camber of that "overloaded" X3. It's already pretty undriveable, and if you drive like this for 1000 miles, you're buying new tires. Civic would suffer from the same thing of course, but not anymore than the X3, since the X3 is based on 3 series suspension, which isnt very tough to begin with, and even without load it already deals with the weight of X3 that it wasn't designed for.
Old 05-22-08, 07:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
because on the way home from home depot you got sidetracked and decided to goto a track with potting soil and bricks in your trunk? makes no sense.
Perhaps you've never seen or driven a small light sedan/coupe weighed down with a heavy load (can you say headlights pointing at the sky? ). And the handling (I'm not talking about tracking it, I'm talking about just driving slowly down a road) becomes downright scary quickly.
Old 05-22-08, 09:14 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Perhaps you've never seen or driven a small light sedan/coupe weighed down with a heavy load (can you say headlights pointing at the sky? ). And the handling (I'm not talking about tracking it, I'm talking about just driving slowly down a road) becomes downright scary quickly.
Bit, like I was saying before, the same exact thing happens to these cross overs. They are using the same suspension as the sedan they are based on - in the X3's case its lifted 3 series. It gets massive negative camber in the rear once you load it up, resulting in poor traction and steering (front is lifted and front tires get less grip, and rear tires get poor grip because the tire contact path is reduced). For carrying loads is the only situation where a live axle suspension starts to shine, because camber isnt affected by vehicles height.
Old 05-23-08, 03:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Bit, not true at all. You've posted a pick of a silly modified Civic that is undriveable to begin with. In seriousness, notice the rear wheel camber of that "overloaded" X3. It's already pretty undriveable, and if you drive like this for 1000 miles, you're buying new tires. Civic would suffer from the same thing of course, but not anymore than the X3, since the X3 is based on 3 series suspension, which isnt very tough to begin with, and even without load it already deals with the weight of X3 that it wasn't designed for.
Amazingly, the load did not weigh down my X3 down at all do to the firmness of the suspension and payload capacity. Oh, and if you know BMW's and X3 in particular, that negative camber is normal.. Can't say the same for a Civic sorry..
Old 05-24-08, 08:22 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Who cares about "driving feel" when you're lapping the Nurburgring in 7 minutes and 29 seconds.
Hmmm, to be honest, I didn't buy my car to play on the ring - its just too far of a drive, especially with these gas prices
Old 05-24-08, 08:25 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Again, that is your opinion of what a sporty car should feel like. I may like something completely different. Do you drive in the same manner as I do? Or others? Some would prefer to having slower steering. Vette owners and certainly Porsche owners are constantly bashing BMW for their poor driving feel. Again, would you agree? Not everyone can agree about the same thing and driving feel in a sports car or a limo is completely subjective.
Maybe - I would argue that it is more than subjective and while Porsches have incredible driving "feel" or so I've been told, I have not heard the same of the Vette with the exception of the 08 which seems to have gotten a lot better. Have not driven a Vette in a long long time however.

Last edited by doug_999; 05-24-08 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-24-08, 12:27 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by doug_999
Hmmm, to be honest, I didn't buy my car to play on the ring - its just too far of a drive, especially with these gas prices
I guess you talk the talk but not walk the walk. In other words, you're not the car enthusiast that you think you are.
Old 05-24-08, 12:30 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by F1Driver
I guess you talk the talk but not walk the walk. In other words, you're not the car enthusiast that you think you are.
Doug has contributed here on this forum as a Lexus and BMW owner, he is an enthusiast. Not everyone has to drive a manual 1800 lbs Lotus to be an enthusiast.

Please keep the personal commentary and attacks to yourself, we strive for a "community" feel.

Old 05-24-08, 01:45 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

For those that are curious, I believe it is about 4,000 miles between my house and Nurburgring (aka "The Ring"). A good portion of that distance is over the Atlantic ocean as well.
Old 05-24-08, 03:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Bit, like I was saying before, the same exact thing happens to these cross overs. They are using the same suspension as the sedan they are based on - in the X3's case its lifted 3 series. It gets massive negative camber in the rear once you load it up, resulting in poor traction and steering (front is lifted and front tires get less grip, and rear tires get poor grip because the tire contact path is reduced). For carrying loads is the only situation where a live axle suspension starts to shine, because camber isnt affected by vehicles height.
All CUV/SUVs use springs that are a good bit stiffer than sedans.