Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT Comparo: 1) FX35 AWD, 2) X6 xDrive35i AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 07:33 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT Comparo: 1) FX35 AWD, 2) X6 xDrive35i AWD

FX35 AWD
0-60: 6.1s
0-100: 15.7s
1/4 mile: 14.5s @ 96.4 mph

X6 xDrive35i
0-60: 5.9s
0-100: 16.3s
1/4 mile: 14.5s @ 95.2 mph

The interesting thing was that they found the FX to be more fun to drive even though it had all-seasons vs. and summer tires in the X6. It doesn't often happen that a review finds a BMW less fun to drive.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/results.html
Old 05-15-08, 07:42 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

WOW, unfortunate for BMW that it makes the X6 seem even more useless. For the price difference and the lack of cargo room, you are paying either for the name or simply because you really like this thing, whatever that X6 is Coupeactivityvehicle?
Old 05-15-08, 08:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch. That doesn't sound right for a $60k BMW...
Old 05-15-08, 12:20 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

"The X6 wobbles, shudders, plows at the limit-and does so much damage to BMW's reputation for building fine driving automobiles, it's almost obscene.
Damn, they seem very disappointed.
Old 05-15-08, 12:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GFerg
Damn, they seem very disappointed.
The X6 comments are very similar to the X3 comments when it debuted. BMW did fine tune it to make it better.

I said it in my "mutts" thread, Infiniti pretty much did create this class and the new FX is building upon the first one. While they don't make much sense, I am begining to understand why car makers offer them.

From a looks perspective, its like comparing a Rhino vs a Moose.

Kudos to Infiniti here.

Originally Posted by carguy101

The interesting thing was that they found the FX to be more fun to drive even though it had all-seasons vs. and summer tires in the X6. It doesn't often happen that a review finds a BMW less fun to drive.

R&T found the IS 300 more fun to drive than the 3. The Boxter wipes the floor with the Z4 in every review. I think people automatically think the BMW is the most fun to drive and sometimes that is not the case. Overall as a lineup, yes they are more drivers focused than all other luxury brands.

Old 05-15-08, 02:28 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Those strut towers in the FX35 are damn close to the engine, thats amazing how they did that
Old 05-15-08, 03:51 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

MotorTrend also ranked the G37 above the 335ci in a recent comparo. It looks like BMW has lost their "magical feel" or that simply the competition has caught up.
Old 05-15-08, 05:06 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i predict the X6 will be as big of a failure for BMW as the R is for Mercedes
Old 05-15-08, 05:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Heh, BMW has always been nothing but overrated bunch of crap. The only thing they ever had going for them is "steering feel", which is overrated to begin with, and isn't even that different from other cars.
Old 05-15-08, 07:22 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I think BMW pissed off MT somehow since last year.
Old 05-15-08, 08:15 PM
LexFather

Bottom line? Fashionistas and BMW fans will flock to the X6's traffic-stopping style and familiar features without even glancing at an Infiniti dealership. Those who can look past the FX's exotic curves will find an equally pretentious but far more liveable ride. The FX35 has many of the X6's strengths, none of its weaknesses, and a few great advantages of its own-for a lot less money.

1ST PLACE Infiniti FX35
Less sexy, with more utility and a surprisingly smooth ride. Add in a far thriftier price tag, and the FX is clearly the more rational buy.

2ND PLACE BMW X6 xDrive35i
Slaves to fashion will look no further than this boulevard strutting beauty queen. Shame she doesn't drive as good as she looks.

Old 05-15-08, 08:23 PM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by F1Driver
MotorTrend also ranked the G37 above the 335ci in a recent comparo. It looks like BMW has lost their "magical feel" or that simply the competition has caught up.
The new FX50 beat the Cayenne-S in this review also:

The 1G FX never beat anything in a review.

Until then (a day we hope comes soon), we'll take the FX.
http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature...ayenne_S.shtml

For the as tested price of the X6 xDrive35i, you could get a fully loaded FX50S.

Last edited by R1R; 05-15-08 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 08:51 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bottom line? Fashionistas and BMW fans will flock to the X6's traffic-stopping style and familiar features without even glancing at an Infiniti dealership. Those who can look past the FX's exotic curves will find an equally pretentious but far more liveable ride. The FX35 has many of the X6's strengths, none of its weaknesses, and a few great advantages of its own-for a lot less money.

1ST PLACE Infiniti FX35
Less sexy, with more utility and a surprisingly smooth ride. Add in a far thriftier price tag, and the FX is clearly the more rational buy.

2ND PLACE BMW X6 xDrive35i
Slaves to fashion will look no further than this boulevard strutting beauty queen. Shame she doesn't drive as good as she looks.

While the FX is no real beauty queen the X6 is no better. In this photo it looks downright... military.
Old 05-15-08, 09:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
While the FX is no real beauty queen the X6 is no better. In this photo it looks downright... military.
The FX in that trim looks scary, the black trim and small wheels and that face.

The X6, looks better but as I stated like a Moose looks better than a Rhino (I guess Catfish)
Originally Posted by R1R
The new FX50 beat the Cayenne-S in this review also:

The 1G FX never beat anything in a review.

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature...ayenne_S.shtml

For the as tested price of the X6 xDrive35i, you could get a fully loaded FX50S.

How about posting the entire last part, this is a no spin zone

If we were richer, or actually went off road, or towed two classic 2.7RSs, or had more people to impress, we'd choose the Cayenne. Until then (a day we hope comes soon), we'll take the FX

Last edited by LexFather; 05-15-08 at 09:22 PM.

Old 05-15-08, 09:45 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

MT is a piece of crap. I wouldn't use it to wipe my butt. I canceled my subscription years ago....

(sorry, couldn't resist sounding like certain people here who flip out when their favorite brand comes in last place).....

(ps, I think my subscription is still good - although I have not gotten this issue yet).

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Guilty as charged Mike. As a big X6 fan I never even considered the FX. Truth be told, if I were to consider the X6, I would have to go test drive the FX.

Quick Reply: MT Comparo: 1) FX35 AWD, 2) X6 xDrive35i AWD