Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What Is The Most Prestigious Brand? (bound to stir controversy)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 12:58 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is The Most Prestigious Brand? (bound to stir controversy)

http://autoheadlines.blogspot.com/20...ous-brand.html

What Is The Most Prestigious Brand?

This is a touchy subject among car enthusiasts but we felt that we might as well bring it up since it always brings a lot of sub-topics to the table, and rightfully so.

From Ultra-luxury brands like Rolls Royce, Bentley, and Maybach to premium-luxury brands such as Audi, BMW, Jaguar, & Mercedes to modest luxury brands such as Acura, Cadillac, Infiniti, & Lexus all of these have the right to be prestigious in their own rights.

We randomly asked 30 people on the street to do a survey and that is why we have a 3 tier grouping system. It came to our surprise that Lexus wasn't mentioned in the same sentence as Audi, BMW, Jaguar, & Mercedes because they are such a powerhouse here in North America. However, that doesn't mean Lexus isn't prestigious.

Tier 1

Rolls Royce: beautifully sculpted body and ultra luxury amenities make this car one of the most desired barges to get around in. The perfect car for the ultra wealthy.

Bentley: they differs than the Rolls Royce in the type of consumers they attract. Rolls Royce is old money whereas Bentley owners seem to be born after the baby boomers. Cars like the Bentley GT coupe really gave the company new life.

Maybach: it's been called the private jet on wheels to other names like it. It's as luxurious as the two automakers just mentioned. It has even more amenities than it's competition and more room in the back seat. It's for the elite who don't want flash like a Rolls Royce but yet still desire the pampering cushioned ride of a Rolls Royce.

Tier 2

Audi: as VW's luxury division, Audi has become very well respected world wide. It's contemporary and modest design philosophy really grabs the attention of the buyers who want a fine built German saloon without the glitter and flash of a Mercedes-Benz.

BMW: the "Ultimate Driving Machine" as they call it and rightfully so. The 3-series BMW saloon and coupe have been the benchmark in it's segment for years for handling and comfort all in one package. It's definitely more sporty than an Audi or a Mercedes but it caters to those who want luxury but also those who love to drive.

Jaguar:
It's safe to say people who buy Jaguar are those who look for traditional British luxury. It's the next best thing next to Rolls Royce and Bentley (even though they are owned by Germans). Jaguar new XF models differs from traditional Jaguar so perhaps that may draw interest from consumers who typically turn to Mercedes as the luxury brand to own. They are very prestigious (especially the high end XJ's)

Mercedes:
Not much mentioning is needed for this marque brand. It's been the definition of luxury in a global scale for any person looking for a luxury car. Their innovative technology has benchmarked themselves as the most recognized brand in the world. They cater more to luxury seekers than consumers looking for a sporty ride. Mind you they have a great AMG division which makes adrenaline pumping, gas guzzling, acceleration a must-have.

Tier 3

Acura:
some call them overpriced Honda's but in reality they differ much from the parent company. We find that Acura's have more care put into their fine finishing. Acura's proposition seems to be more solid than their Honda counterparts. We feel that they are the most understated and under-rated luxury brand in North America. They bring well equipped and well priced luxury vehicles to the table which is a great alternative to the slightly more expensive Infiniti's & various Lexus models. As for it's prestige it lacks the luster of even a Lexus but does its job well and based from our studies, their customers are taken care of very well.

Cadillac:
the only American luxury brand maker that made our list. They make heavy comfortable cars and is the best domestic luxury brand in North America. They put Chrysler and Lincoln to shame. Their levels of quality is considered high compared to Chrysler's cheap plastic and Lincoln's inability to keep their door sills lined up with the set on the rear door. Cadillac has prestige and in country's such as China and among others in Asia, they are perceived as very respectable cars. In a world where there are many millionaires and billionaires these cars are a favorite.

Infiniti: has made themselves known for performance luxury vehicles. Their level of prestige is no where close to a Lexus but in our opinion their at the same level until you reach past the M35/M45 price range. They are probably the closest competitor to Acura since both brands don't exactly have a "flagship" vehicle. Not yet at least. So does this Infiniti brand have any prestige? of course! otherwise they wouldn't be considered a luxury brand. They just don't have the reputation of a Lexus. Not yet...

Lexus: has hired the best of the best marketers to promote their brand. They have separated themselves from their Japanese rivals enough that they can contend with the European brands. Some call them glorified Toyota's or expensive Toyota's. In fact, they do share similar components to this day despite them claiming their completely separate entities. Their marketers have built an image for their brand of cars to a level of prestige that their Japanese rivals only wish they could have.
Old 05-15-08, 12:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone forgot Aston Martin...

(amongst other brands)
Old 05-15-08, 01:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's an interesting analysis, and with sufficient reasoning on each. However the sample size of only 30 individuals is too small. The Luxury Institute survey quoted elsewhere had a sample size of 1,500+ respondents.

I think Tier 1 (in this survey), is ultra-luxury and truly few would dispute that. Tier 2 (in this survey, which in many other articles is Tier 1) and Tier 3 are more debatable.
Old 05-15-08, 01:04 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Audi above Lexus? Not so much. I really disagree with that list.
Old 05-15-08, 01:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ummm, yeah, they forgot Aston, Ferrari, Lambo, and a few others. They also included Jag in the tier 2, lol. Sorry, Jag of today doesn't even belong it tier 3.
Old 05-15-08, 01:14 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Well according to the Luxury Institute Survey 2008: Most Prestigious Brands 1) Porsche 2) Lexus 3) Mercedes

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=prestigious
Old 05-15-08, 01:16 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche anyone?
Old 05-15-08, 01:19 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

For the record. I think this is a half-baked... scratch that, not even thawed-out article. But it sure is interesting to see a new take on the whole thing.
Old 05-15-08, 02:43 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaguar ranks ahead of Lexus???
Old 05-15-08, 02:56 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
Audi above Lexus? Not so much. I really disagree with that list.
Def. not.

I think I would put Acura and Infiniti on a 4th tier.
Old 05-15-08, 03:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

as much as i love lexus, jag is above lexus just because they are right, it just comes to mind wjhen you think prestige. when i think sould and passion, ferrari and alfa, and when i think technology and luxury combined, i think lexus. i don't think of audi above lexus in prestige just bcecause i think of the really cheap, audi a4 1.8 not only that i think of audi more as a young, sporty, car for those who ride dirt bikes ( not saying others dont) i dont know if you guys get what ium saying but w/e.
Old 05-15-08, 03:35 PM
LexFather

I am going to go down the street and ask 30 people what Tier are the chicken brands.
KFC, Popeyes, Church's Mrs Winners, Snack in the box, Kroger, etc.

What moron does a sample size of 30 people for something as vast as automobiles?

They had 2/3 sentences on BMW/Audi? WTF? Then they say Acura/Honda is VERY DIFFERENT? What kind of ghanja are they smoking?

Then I read the part on Infiniti and Lexus. They have the nerve to say Lexus are basically still Toyotas no matter what they say yet totally forget to mention the FACT Inifnitis are rebadged NIssans. They say Infiniit has this and that coming and where they are going? The got damn article should be on WHAT IS WHAT NOW/TODAY. Now what YOU WISH in 30 years. They say they hired the best "marketers"? Guess what ********, its A MIX OF THE BEST PRODUCT AND THE BEST MARKETERS.

Who in the blue moon wrote such a **** poor article, Pacman Jones?

Its funny seeing the threads started by some of the members here, seems like a motive to me.

Bottom line this writers internet access should be revoked forever and may he go back to high school and get their GED.

Old 05-15-08, 03:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jmd93
as much as i love lexus, jag is above lexus just because they are right, it just comes to mind wjhen you think prestige. when i think sould and passion, ferrari and alfa, and when i think technology and luxury combined, i think lexus. i don't think of audi above lexus in prestige just bcecause i think of the really cheap, audi a4 1.8 not only that i think of audi more as a young, sporty, car for those who ride dirt bikes ( not saying others dont) i dont know if you guys get what ium saying but w/e.
I am a Jaguar fan and sorry, Jaguar has lost so much prestige its not even funny.
1. X-type is a joke and now discontinued
2. S-type was okay and is now discontinued
3. Jaguar has lost BILLIONS and been in the RED for over a DECADE. Yeah, real prestigious.
4. The XK and XJ I ADORE yet, you could sell more actual JAGUARS as pets than the acutal cars.
5. The XF is nice and seems to compete very well but it does not turn the brand around.
6. Ownership is changed again.

Sorry, Jaguar is RARELY mentioned when its time to buy a luxury vehicle. As much as I love them, Teir III is where they go.

Also, what about Lincoln and Buick? You can't have Acura AND NOT include those brands.

Old 05-15-08, 03:56 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink Germans vs Japanese

Interesting ... looks like the put the big 3 from Germany in Tier 2 & the big 3 from Japan in Tier 3. My guess would have been bc the Japanese brands came after their mass market parents & therefore will probably always have the stigma of glorified-Honda/Nissan/Toyota ... whether true or not. BMW & Mercedes do not have this issue ... but how did Audi make it up to Tier 2 when they have VW in its shadow? Perhaps there is some kind of bias ...

Old 05-15-08, 04:49 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS69
Interesting ... looks like the put the big 3 from Germany in Tier 2 & the big 3 from Japan in Tier 3. My guess would have been bc the Japanese brands came after their mass market parents & therefore will probably always have the stigma of glorified-Honda/Nissan/Toyota ... whether true or not. BMW & Mercedes do not have this issue ... but how did Audi make it up to Tier 2 when they have VW in its shadow? Perhaps there is some kind of bias ...

the only reason I think audi is up there with merc and bmw is because its been around for a while, audi also has a very strong racing heratige and there cars are real quality ( and yes Im baised :P )

Quick Reply: What Is The Most Prestigious Brand? (bound to stir controversy)