Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X6 Sold Out Already?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 08:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carguy101
Correction:

Nissan guys that knows anything about useless SUVs knows that the FX created the segment.
Fixed.

Again, you really overestimate the FX. This is a car that had sales fall off after 2 years and its a niche vehicle.

The BMW X6 will only help the FX.

Sean, hmmm, the X5, not sure where to place that. It is sporty and tidy like the FX and it did precede it. The FX is much more stylish though, the X5 is more of a "usual" SUV in the looks department.

I am not sure the X5 was the predecessor to this class but let me think about it. IMO for now, the FX is the creator of this segment, just no one knows that.

Old 05-16-08, 08:19 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The X6 opened up a new niche in the automotive market which will surely be entered by other premium manufacturers over the next few years."

That's just pure BS. Everyone knows that this niche was created by Infiniti with the FX.
Please, it was the Forester that started the CUV trend.

And the X6 is awfully expensive for a vehicle that is just plain hideous.
Old 05-16-08, 08:32 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And the X6 is awfully expensive for a vehicle that is just plain hideous.
not according to the first 40,000 customers.
Old 05-16-08, 08:35 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I like the Infiniti FX. Excellent vehicle at a bargain price compared to the competition. The styling during its debut back in 03 was revoltionary for sure. I never saw anything like it on the road. I will agree from a styling perspective, Infiniti was indeed ahead of the competion in this regard. As far as creating a niche the FX did not create one. This X6 is being marketed as a Sport Activity Coupe. I would consider such a vehicle as niche creator.

Here is some history on both the X5 & FX. I would love to have both ha haa..

The BMW X5 is a mid-size luxury crossover SUV sold by BMW since 1999. It features all-wheel drive and is available with a range of petrol inline-6s and V8 engines. Diesels are an option for models sold outside of North America. All X5s worldwide are manufactured in Spartanburg, South Carolina. BMW described it as an SAV (Sport Activity Vehicle) rather than an SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle), to emphasize its on-road ability despite its size
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X5

The Infiniti FX is a mid-size luxury Crossover Sport Utility Vehicle (CUV) produced by the Nissan-owned Infiniti luxury brand since the 2003 model year. The FX replaced the QX4 as Infiniti's mid-size luxury SUV, despite being larger than its predecessor. It was released at the same time as its competitors, the Porsche Cayenne, Volvo XC90, and Volkswagen Touareg. It shares the same FM platform as the rear-wheel drive Nissan 350Z, whereas the similarly-sized Nissan Murano is based on the front-wheel drive Nissan Altima platform.

In creating the FX, its designers sought what they called a "cool fusion" – the blending of a substantial, SUV lower body with the sleek, elegant upper body more reminiscent of a classic sports car or sports GT. [1] In addition, they sought to combine sports-car performance with SUV functionality. The FX is a unique combination of aggressive styling, performance and luxury car comfort. The FX was based on the notion of a "Bionic Cheetah," with advanced technology employed to create a premium crossover SUV
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_FX
Old 05-16-08, 08:35 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Great, now we got posts about X5, Forester and "Nissan guys".

I see where this is going.

Um, ok. So the BMW marketing people coins the term SAV and therefore the X6 created the niche.
Old 05-16-08, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Don't get me wrong, I like the Infiniti FX. Excellent vehicle at a bargain price compared to the competition. The styling during its debut back in 03 was revoltionary for sure. I never saw anything like it on the road. I will agree from a styling perspective, Infiniti was indeed ahead of the competion in this regard. As far as creating a niche the FX did not create one. This X6 is being marketed as a Sport Activity Coupe. I would consider such a vehicle as niche creator.

Here is some history on both the X5 & FX. I would love to have both ha haa..
Damn dude you are right, BMW did advertise the X5 as a "SAV" from day one. We probably debated that here

Still I feel the FX did take SUVs styling wise where they had not been before, love it or hate it. The X6 follows the FX in its styling.

Old 05-16-08, 08:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great, now we got posts about X5, Forester and "Nissan guys".

I see where this is going.

Um, ok. So the BMW marketing people coins the term SAV and therefore the X6 created the niche.
lol.. Welcome to the great melting pot called Club Lexus Good discussion here all in fun..
Old 05-16-08, 08:46 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
lol.. Welcome to the great melting pot called Club Lexus Good discussion here all in fun..
Old 05-16-08, 09:04 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now that BMW has done it, EVERYONE will know what this class is and BMW will be stated as a leader.

BMW is just seen as a leader by experts, the press and the public, even if they are late to the game.
exactly.

For example, when someone is looking for a new car, to specify what size/type/class, it's measured in bimmer class even if the person isn't concidering a bimmer!

"car shopping?"
"yea ..."
"what are you concidering?"
"oh, like a 5 or something"
Old 05-16-08, 09:38 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Oh please, I created this trend with robots and cows attached to a piece of plastic box.
Old 05-16-08, 09:49 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that the FX did take SUV's where they had not gone before. It took your normal car based SUV and turned it into a SUV/Wagon hybrid. There was also its cousin Murano as well as offerings later on such as Chyrsler Pacifica, Mercedes R-Class, etc.

BMW called the X5 an SAV. Lexus called the original RX300 an SLV. Its all marketing. The Aztec was a SRV. They are SUV's when it comes down to it.

The X6 though... Its starting a new niche called the WTFIIV (WTF Is It Vehicle).
Old 05-16-08, 10:18 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw is Lexus RX the closest to the X6 in the Lexus lineup?