Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Acura TSX Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-08, 04:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

It's funny how Lexus is trying to be more sporty while Acura is trying to be more luxury/isolated.
Old 05-18-08, 04:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
What happened to the good old days of Honda engineering? Too bad management wont let the engineers have it their way.
They force them to quit like the great Shigeru Uehara. There was a time when as a Honda engineer it was mandatory to spend a round or two somewhere in Honda's racing program. That could have been in any of the motorsports racing they competed in. That was to give you the chance to learn race engineering and also perhaps learn to appreciate what Soichiro Honda stood for and was passionate about. I wonder if that is still required of today's Honda engineers?
Old 05-18-08, 06:58 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I can see the strategy behind smaller more fuel efficient engines, compromising on steering is completely unnaceptable.
Old 06-03-08, 09:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Saw one on the road today in front of me - it looked better than the pics I'd seen.

And that pic above actually looks better to me than previous pics I saw.
Took a while to find this thread again...

Saw another one today - black one, and I have to say, besides the big aluminum shnoz on it I thought the car looked good.

So maybe I can see why this car is selling...
Old 06-03-08, 10:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I saw a silver one on the road, and IMO they ruined the clean, sleek and sporty look of the 1st gen. The new TSX IMHO has awkward character lines and proportions, and the rear tails look really strange in person.
Old 06-03-08, 10:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen a few ads for the car and I think Acura is marketing it very well... specifically to the young hip 20-35 year old crowd.. they're marketing it as the ultimate ride for those in touch with business sense, technology, style, and youth.

Pretty appealing ads.
Old 06-03-08, 10:49 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just saw one today too for the first time. Looks nice and classy in back, angular, and modern... nice on the side.. then I saw the front and the car suddenly looked like a protege...

Old 06-03-08, 11:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It is not really about if the TSX will sell well or not. It is the fact that with the last gen TSX and 04+ TL, and even the 05+ RL Acura was IMHO actually headed back in the right track.Unfortunately, their grill style took a turn downward the last year, then they are repeating the mistakes that stalled them like it did back in 1996. The 06 RL over all was indeed a better built car than the 95 Legend. It just didn't seem like it. Same with this TSX. Surely it is a better over all car, but it just doesn't seem like it at all. The engine HP is a major part of that. The last TSX was a mid to lower 7 second car. The new one is an 8 second car. Who cares how much more torque it has if it is slower.
Car and Driver achieved a 0-60 time of 6.7 seconds for the new TSX in the current issue which means it is somehow quicker then the previous lighter one which had a few more horsepower. Maybe the added torque and flatter curve aided the power delivery more then most thought. Then again Car and Driver does get some pretty high times and usually higher then other magazines. Looking at the specs I don't really see how the new TSX could do a 0-60 in under 7 seconds let alone 6.7, maybe Honda underrated the engine a little bit or maybe Car and Drivers test track runs down hill.
Old 06-03-08, 11:40 PM
stoked
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have owned a 2006 Acura TSX and an 05 Accord Tourer (while living in Europe) . I actually had the accord and the first thing I did when I got back to the States was head to the Acura dealer and bought a TSX. Love that car, they are great to drive and have a great look. The Accord was great. The cargo area and the smooth ride are something I still miss. I went and test drove the new '09 TSX and liked a few things, yet also had some things I did not like. The electronics updates are on par with the rest of the car industry...the improved stereo, trip computer, and bluetooth interface. I do not mind the new look. It will grow on everyone I am sure. The '06 will not be dated as fast as other car models are outdated when a new model comes out (nothing could be as worse as the '05 GS and the '06 GS). The steering does feel more numb, but the ride works for the demographic that the car will fit in. I did not mind the steering, but driving on '08 compared back-to-back with an '09, it is instantly apparent. I loved the new seats, the 1st gen TSX lacked severely in the seats (transplanted honda accord) compared to the awesome seats in the TL. The gauges are cool, and now the GPS looks funny hiding behind the plastic window, it looks like it is so far away. I prefer the looks and drive of the 1st gen, but live in the interiors of cars, and the new TSX has a much better interior.
Old 06-03-08, 11:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Car and Driver achieved a 0-60 time of 6.7 seconds for the new TSX in the current issue which means it is somehow quicker then the previous lighter one which had a few more horsepower. Maybe the added torque and flatter curve aided the power delivery more then most thought. Then again Car and Driver does get some pretty high times and usually higher then other magazines. Looking at the specs I don't really see how the new TSX could do a 0-60 in under 7 seconds let alone 6.7, maybe Honda underrated the engine a little bit or maybe Car and Drivers test track runs down hill.
Well, if they really did get 6.7 or anything around 7.0 that is actually not bad at all. How the original review got an 8.X or whatever they did is beyond me. I can see this car with a flatter torque curve getting a 0-60 of 7.0 or less. I would bet the 1.4 mile time would be about the same with a lower trap speed than the outgoing TSX though.

I also was able to see the TSX in a parking lot for the very fist time in real life the other day. It looks much better in person. The only major gripe I had exterior wise was the front grill and that is still true. I was surprised at how much smoother the car looked in real life than in pictures though. In pictures I can see all the hard lines, but in real life the car body panels and creases look much smoother and blend in which is a good thing for me. I haven't gotten to experience the interior though buy from what everyone is saying it is a notch down from the previous one. For now, exterior I'm okay with, interior doesn't sound good but I haven't seen it in person yet, and engine no good if they don't plan on releasing the I4 Turbo.
Old 06-04-08, 06:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
Car and Driver is toilet tissue and they hump BMW and Honda/Acura like no other, making sweet literary love to them. The didn't mention the **** poor electric steering and barely touched the grill. One of the counterpoint editors got it right, they didn't try hard enough.

My Road and Track came in yesterday, they got 7.5 seconds in the manual.

Car and Driver will do anything to make Acura/Honda and BMW look better, including the same issue where the M3 beat the GT-R and 911 Turbo.

Old 06-04-08, 10:53 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Car and Driver is toilet tissue and they hump BMW and Honda/Acura like no other, making sweet literary love to them.
LMAO!!! Once again you make me spit out my morning coffee (yes at 1:50pm) all over my keyboard!

I really do think you need to start a web blog! I'll even pitch in a few bucks for the web-domain hosting.

Back to subject on hand though, do you all think what we see with this car signifies a future direction Honda is taking? Seeing how Honda vehicles are often bought for their reliability, value, and economy, is Honda perhaps deciding not THAT many people care about their once-superb FWD steering racks?
Old 06-04-08, 11:03 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

new tsx wagon/euro accord tourer

starting at 26800 with 6spd

not liking the fact that this and the sedan has gotten bigger..the predesesor was perfect..like a 3 series size.
Old 06-05-08, 09:43 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
I've seen a few ads for the car and I think Acura is marketing it very well... specifically to the young hip 20-35 year old crowd.. they're marketing it as the ultimate ride for those in touch with business sense, technology, style, and youth.

Pretty appealing ads.
I have to agree. I love the ones that say, "This isn't trust fund luxury--this is work-your-tail-off-and-take-pride-in-what-you've-accomplished luxury." It could be a dramatic marketing campaign for all of Acura which would hit the nail on the head that they are the undisputed VALUE luxury brand.

As for the comments that the car itself is bumpy and uncoordinated in the lines and curves on it, I agree with a few previous posters that (other than the almost unforgiveable ugliness of the grill) it looks better in person. I will also point out that although all the Bangle-era BMW's are monstrosities of design (talk about a clash of lines, curves, bumps, etc. that in no way at all converge to a pleasant gestalt), they are distinctive and sell quite well. Perhaps the marketplace overall values uniqueness more than harmony when it comes to automotive design these days?