Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sportiest Brands -- How would you rank them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 08:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
i'm surprised to see MB not up there, Mercedes Benz has a great racing heritage starting from 1914 when MB won the French Grand Prix...
I thought them over and they do have racing history and their AMG cars are incredible. However, I don't see them over any of the brands I listed. To this day, when you think Mercedes-Benz, you think prestige and luxury. Not sport.

CAddy, Benz, Lexus have that image, even as they offer some sporty cars (Benz more than Caddy/Lexus).

Old 05-17-08, 08:32 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I thought them over and they do have racing history and their AMG cars are incredible. However, I don't see them over any of the brands I listed. To this day, when you think Mercedes-Benz, you think prestige and luxury. Not sport.

CAddy, Benz, Lexus have that image, even as they offer some sporty cars (Benz more than Caddy/Lexus).
Lexus has pretty much had zero performance centric cars until the IS-F... very new territory for them.

Somewhat new for Caddy too... I mean they've only been doing their -V lineup for what... 4-5 years now? Though they've got a pretty broad range of offerings in the -V series...
Old 05-17-08, 08:49 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.TATA
2.Toyota
3.Lexus
4.Scion
5.Hino
Old 05-17-08, 08:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
Lexus has pretty much had zero performance centric cars until the IS-F... very new territory for them.

Somewhat new for Caddy too... I mean they've only been doing their -V lineup for what... 4-5 years now? Though they've got a pretty broad range of offerings in the -V series...
I'm sorry did u miss the part where I said Benz more so than Caddy/Lexus. Clearly their racing history is far superior.

The IS is sporty and the GS while no Porsche is sporty compared to an ES or LS. The 1st gen SC was pretty sporty too. The IS-F clearly is the sportiest thing they offer.

Even before the IS-F, when people think Lexus, they think ES/RX/LS and luxury. THey don't think sport at all or they can be modded.

Caddy is the same way but as you stated the V range is more broad. Still though you think Caddy, you think Escalade and Fleetwood.

It will take a lot of time to change that image and they may not even want too.

Old 05-17-08, 09:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

My top 5 performance defining brands.

1. Ferrari - I mean come on. They have it all. Known for making race cars for the street. Strong racing heritage. Still regarded as the leader in performance oriented vehicles. And every so often they come out with the "super Ferrari's". F40, F50, Enzo etc which have all been game changers and have proved to be major advancements in street performing vehicles. Performance is still there, but IMO todays cars are overproduced and many companies have caught up and some have surpassed them. Add to the fact that the current crop is down right disgusting to look at. They seem to be riding on its history and marketing more than anything else these days IMO.

2. Porsche/Lamborghini (tie) - I just cant label one brand more performance oriented than the other!!

Porsches racing history is just as strong as Ferrari's. The cars they pump out are absolutely perfect. Known to make high performing, but everyday usable cars. Its magical how these cars seem perfect for the track and perfect for the street. And in typical German fashion they make about 30 different renditions of 1 car. From a base cruiser/GT model all the way to pure race car status in the GT3 RS. They cover all bases with one freakin car!! Downside, they make SUV's for baby mommas!! A total act to make money, nothing else. They might have shot themselves in the foot by making something that is the total opposite of what should define performance. Some are tired of the same basic shape and others actually think Porsches are too tame and feel that they engineered it so perfectly that they lost some of the hard edge feel you get from a Ferrari/Lambo.

Lamborghini really is badass. And jsut because it doesnt have race history doesnt mean its less performance oriented than anyone else. These are outrageous cars with big horsepower and are downright devilish. They are known for making the first supercar, the Muira. The leader when it comes to raw power and commanding attention. They dont do retro, they look toward the future which you can see in their designs. Always adding new features to stay ahead of the game year after year. And they attract owners who actually drive them like they should. HARD, instead of sitting in a garage collecting dust like that other Italian brand who flaunts racing heritage but has owners who dont use it. Now with Audi backing them, they have more money than ever and have a gem of a car in the Gallardo which is starting to prove to be one of the first true exotics that can be easily modified with numerous owners TT it and producing over 1000awhp. Everything about the brand is INSANE!! Their downside is that they are also owned by Audi! Some feel that they have to many Audi parts (Navi, materials etc), have become more affordable and not as exclusive. Many thought adding a second model = death.

4. BMW - The performance car that the average joe can buy. You dont need to spend big bucks to get a great performance vehicle. Another brand with outstanding racing heritage. Flaunts its engine expertise and makes cars that can handle like no other. Its M-line is a game changer and has now produced numerous followers. So much so that every car maker including Hyundai wants to be compared to them. Clearly the benchmark in sporty daily drivers. A truly influential brand. Downside, Bangle *^&^( everything up. iDrive, ugly *** cars, vehicles that provide no use. High asking price and they charge for little things like metallic paint as well as having low quality interiors.

5. Lotus - Lotus has been true to keeping vehicles light. Never big on power, but big on keeping it light. The Esprit is iconic. It lasted decades with minimal changes and performed with the best of them till it retired. The Exige can be seen taking down cars with double to triple the amount of power. A track car nothing more. Downside, to small, not enough power, high price, kit car-ish appeal IMO.
Old 05-18-08, 07:27 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm sorry did u miss the part where I said Benz more so than Caddy/Lexus. Clearly their racing history is far superior.
No I didn't miss it, smart ***... but saying Benz has more racing history and experience in the premium performance market with AMG than Lexus does with the -F series is like saying Michael Jordan has more experience with playing basketball than I do.

It's a huge understatement.

The IS is sporty and the GS while no Porsche is sporty compared to an ES or LS. The 1st gen SC was pretty sporty too. The IS-F clearly is the sportiest thing they offer.
If we're talking racing heritage and cars like the AMG lineup then I'd say none of this qualifies as true sports heritage. Having cars that don't quite drive like a boat is not where I'd draw the line for a manufacturer having true sports car offerings in its lineup... but that's just my opinion. I would have never told anyone my GS400 was a sports car... even after the suspension mods I did. It was a somewhat sporty luxury sedan at best.

It will take a lot of time to change that image and they may not even want too.
Nothing wrong with that.. I've never been one to tell Lexus that they're stupid for not competing with the AMG/M/-V lineups. I think they're better off doing what they do best.