Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drives: 2009 Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-08, 12:17 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subaru Legacy GT, faster than all of ya's!

IMO too much power through the front wheels. AWD that ish.
Old 05-18-08, 12:38 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Read carefully. Wait, you didn't read it. Look at the memo at the bottom left of that page. "This car will go below 14 before addl mods-the 14.08 was into a 10 mph headwind." With everything in good track and weather condition the car is capable of 14.0 seconds flat, or better. It's basically a 14 second car, the TL 6MT cars that is. The mods you saw in that page is minor. They don't add much of power to get considerably better times. You want to see modded TL 6MT go looky here: http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura-TL-Timeslip-10607.html - 13.7 @ 102 mph
THAT'S with mods. And give yourself a rest, a short shifter doesn't add power. It just allows you shift quicker.
The notes say without the head wind it would run 14.0 flat, WITH the mods. I understand that CAI, exhaust, and drag radials are not serious mods, but in most cars a CAI is worth at least a tenth, as is a cat back exhaust, and drag radials are worth a couple tenths. A short shifter doesn't add power but it does allow for quicker shifting, and guess what quicker shifting does... it gives you faster times.

As drag times on the TL 6MT cars shown they are capable of hitting low 14s. I knew I was right and will be right. This is the obvious. it's a faster car, period.
I don't disagree that they're capable of hitting low 14s @ 98-99 mph with a great driver and ideal circumstances... I've never disagreed with that. What I have been disagreeing with from the beginning is your assumption that because one person managed a 14.1 @ 100 then your car would do the same, even though you've never taken it to the track. There are plenty of other magazine times that have been slower... so assuming your car would pull off the most ideal time you've ever seen published is a pretty big assumption... especially if you're talking with YOU behind the wheel if you have no experience at a 1/4-mile track at all. It's obvious you are an excellent internet racer... you've raced just about every car in your fantasies out loud on the internet... yet you seem to refuse to actually try going to a real auto cross or drag strip and seeing how real life and magazines tend to be very different from each other.

Thinking an AUTO tranny TL do over 15's in the quarter means all TL cars will get the same.
Oh my god... we're back to this one again? You said that I said this earlier in the thread too, when I never did. Last time I asked you to point out where I ever even insinuated that the TL auto's times had any bearing on the TL manual and instead of showing me where I said that, you just said something about how I should grow up, which conveniently dodged my question... but now you're right back to saying I said this, so I'm going right back to asking you to point out where I ever said such a thing.

Stop basing performance on the 5AT cars and apply it on the 6MT versions. The gear ratios are so different that you can't take that and go around and spread such info.
Once again, where did I ever do that?

You're getting so upset by somebody questioning the infallibility of your car that you've started reading things that aren't even there..

Now THAT is funny what you are saying. It is so ridiculous. Just read what you just said. Funny thing, and yet those numbers on the 2009 Maxima is from the same source Car & Driver. I suppose they put up the worst time on the 2009 then? Your excuse just doesn't add up. Sorry.
Car and driver doesn't always produce the best times... it depends on who is driving, what conditions they're driving in, etc.

You are definitely biased. I can see from your entire posts here. You are losing it. Oh dear.
Sorry, the only one here with a bias issue is you and your TL... you can't go for more than one thread without bringing around your any magazine articles and time you can find on the internet that would suggest that your car is still better than car X, Y, or Z.

What am I biased toward or against? Am I biased against Acura?
I've clearly stated I like the TSX better than most people here - I have defended it. I recommended the 05 TL to my friend when he bought it... if I hadn't he would not have bought it... that's how strong of a recommendation I made. I still like the TL a lot! I just think you're nuts for telling the entire board wow it's the best thing on the race track since sliced bread... even telling us the TL-S faster than a 335i on the road course when the only track times you've ever presented suggesting such a thing was shown to be a very shady source of information.

Am I biased toward BMW? I can't even begin to count the number of negative things I've said about this 335i. Plenty of positive things too, but that's what being unbiased is about... telling the full story... not just trolling threads about other cars to toot my own horn with how much better my 335i is according to this or that article.
Old 05-18-08, 12:51 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

bench racing ftl....anyhow, this maxima continues its fugly tradition. Last true good looking Max was the '97 model...the true 4DSC...
Old 05-18-08, 02:04 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I seriously don't get this Maxima. I used to really like Maxima's before. Why the hell would I spend nearly $40K on a Maxima when I could get an Infiniti G35-S for the same price? There really isn't anything that the Maxima does better than the G35 and they cost the same. In fact, I know you can negotiate G35-S for a fare good amount under $40K.
Old 05-18-08, 02:20 PM
f22cb9
Driver School Candidate

First, Apples to Apples guys. Second, apparently it looks like if you read an article, you'll know everything about a car without ever touching or driving it...
Old 05-18-08, 02:31 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is this for mag racing...

2004 TL, 6MT
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...2004172540.pdf

0-100: 15.9s
0-60: 6.3s
1/4-mile: 14.8 @ 96.6

Yet C&D has them at 14.4 @ 99 and 0-100 in 14.6

http://www.caranddriver.com/content/...le/CD01_TL.pdf

And a skid pad differential from .81 to .87.

I actually can't find a single editorial or even time slip backed forum post that has anybody hitting 14.0 and/or a 100mph trap in 100% stock form. Though maybe I just haven't seen it.

Oh noes.. how is such a disparity even possible?

Or... maybe it's just best to not magazine race and just leave the trash talk for after we actually go to the track and beat the opponent's car in person?
Old 05-18-08, 02:45 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by f22cb9
First, Apples to Apples guys. Second, apparently it looks like if you read an article, you'll know everything about a car without ever touching or driving it...

You are right. The Maxima is clearly not even in the same class as an Infiniti G35. About the only thing it really competes with it is on price. Kind of makes the Maxima priced as tested at $37K all the more lack luster when you can get a much more upscale luxury car from the the parent luxury division for the same price.

Obviously I haven't driven the new Maxima but I have driven the new G. I can't imagine the FWD 290HP Maxima driving any better than a RWD 306HP G35S. The G also comes with a manual.

Seriously, there is just something wrong when your lower division cars offer less and cost just as much as your luxury division cars. If the cost were cheaper I can understand that. But a $40K Maxima? Nissan isn't alone. I find no value in $30K Accords and Camrys as well.

Reading the article showed me enough specs to make some sort of comparison. 3.5L 290HP FWD V6 for $37K. 3.5L 306HP RWD V6 Infiniti that can be had for the same price. Aside from a CVT tranny the Maxima doesn't offer anything over the Infiniti to warrant a near equal price point. Not even gas mileage is all that much better if at all. They can't use service as a selling point unless they are willing to say their own luxury division service isn't any better than Nissan. They can't use value since it cost just as much money. They can't use performance since its still beat. They can't use materials quality unless they are willing to say it is equal to or better than their own luxury division.

Again, maybe I totally missed it, but what is the point of a near $40K Maxima when you can get a G35 for the same price again? I just can't see what the selling point would be. Unless one really wants a CVT tranny that is about all I can think of and that isn't worth $40K IMHO. I mean, its not like I'm comparing it to another competitor. Infiniti is their own brand.
Old 05-18-08, 02:57 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed

Seriously, there is just something wrong when your lower division cars offer less and cost just as much as your luxury division cars. If the cost were cheaper I can understand that. But a $40K Maxima? Nissan isn't alone. I find no value in $30K Accords and Camrys as well.
Yet people still buy them. Just look at the Avalon. It sells really well compared to the ES350. Granted most Avalons sold are not "Limited", but there are those who do opt for a Limited Avalon over an ES350. Of course with the Avalon you get the additional interior space which I guess is a selling point over the ES. However, with this Maxima, being smaller and pretty much equal to the size of an Altima/G35, I see your point. I think they should have just made a longer wheel base, same design, and make it a real full size Nissan Flagship. At least having the additional front and rear legroom would help justify getting it over a G35.
Old 05-18-08, 04:54 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
Very well said. I am in complete agreement. The price difference is so small between the Maxima and the G35S. I freaked out when I checked out the new G35's interior. Absolutely impressive, not to mention some staggering performance. With the end of the year approaching the brand new G35 Sport Sedan 6MT w/ Premium package/ NAVI for $35~ 36k range! I just think the price of the Maxima is too much.

Keep in mind that that this is only Car and Driver's estimated price. They have been way off base on these before. Official prices have not yet been announced.
Old 05-18-08, 04:58 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedflex
Keep in mind that that this is only Car and Driver's estimated price. They have been way off base on these before. Official prices have not yet been announced.
Well, it better be way off because a Maxima should barely sell over $30K fully loaded. Same with the Maximas competition. If we already have the Maxima, Accord, Camry, Avalon selling for well into the $30K range, what is next? Will the Civic, Corolla, Sentra, all be selling for $25K or higher?
Old 05-18-08, 05:06 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Well, it better be way off because a Maxima should barely sell over $30K fully loaded. Same with the Maximas competition. If we already have the Maxima, Accord, Camry, Avalon selling for well into the $30K range, what is next? Will the Civic, Corolla, Sentra, all be selling for $25K or higher?
The current Max starts at something like $28,600. The Altima held its price point when it was redesigned so I would predict that the new Max would start around $29K but be optioned up to $36-37K fully loaded. But don't hold your breath for a fully equipped Maxima for 30K. A maxed-out Altima SE already goes for that much.
Old 05-18-08, 05:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedflex
The current Max starts at something like $28,600. The Altima held its price point when it was redesigned so I would predict that the new Max would start around $29K but be optioned up to $36-37K fully loaded. But don't hold your breath for a fully equipped Maxima for 30K. A maxed-out Altima SE already goes for that much.
Isn't it amazing at how expensive cars have become? Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans are no longer economy branded cars. Well, they still are in ways, but now they are expecting luxury car prices. I guess there are a lot of people out there willing to spend nearly $40K on a non luxury car, but I'm sure not one of them. I'd take an entry level luxury car from one of the luxury manufacturers any day. I don't really see any advantage in buying a fully loaded economy class car for luxury prices when you can buy an entry level equally optioned out luxury car for nearly the same price with the same performance and fuel economy.
Old 05-18-08, 05:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, MSRP doesn't mean jack nowadays anyway. I think most people lease new vehicles anyway, so you have to look at lease rates before anything.
Old 05-18-08, 05:47 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read most of this thread and all I got out of it was TL > all ...did I miss something?
Old 05-18-08, 05:48 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Isn't it amazing at how expensive cars have become? Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans are no longer economy branded cars. Well, they still are in ways, but now they are expecting luxury car prices. I guess there are a lot of people out there willing to spend nearly $40K on a non luxury car, but I'm sure not one of them. I'd take an entry level luxury car from one of the luxury manufacturers any day. I don't really see any advantage in buying a fully loaded economy class car for luxury prices when you can buy an entry level equally optioned out luxury car for nearly the same price with the same performance and fuel economy.
I hear ya. Believe it or not, even a loaded Mazda 3 can run you 25K.

Quick Reply: First Drives: 2009 Nissan Maxima