Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hypermileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 09:11 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mean while i blaze past him in my V8 with 103 octane, foot the floor, windows open and ac on full blast.
Old 05-25-08, 09:49 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've tried a few of these things, like coasting downhill, and coasting up to stop lights, and I noticed my needle is moving down a little more slowly this time....
Old 05-26-08, 07:27 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I coast frequently and it helps. If I hold 70 MPH I can eek out 32 MPG, even with passengers and luggage in the car. Pretty sweet for a vehicle that was estimated to only get 27 MPG Hwy.

My dad used to never coast and his MPGs went from 22 to 26 when he began doing so. Still not the fuel economy that BMW claimed.
Old 05-26-08, 10:16 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by f=ma
mean while i blaze past him in my V8 with 103 octane, foot the floor, windows open and ac on full blast.

It's nice to have endless money.
Old 05-26-08, 10:45 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
This stuff does work quite well. I've gotten 27mpg combined (50/50) out of a tank of gas by trying some of that stuff, and i have the 1UZ vvt-i
i average 42mpg (all hwy) or 30mpg even (all city)...

OH AND...

I can put in the cheap gas.
Old 05-26-08, 11:20 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Hypermileage is a very common topic on forums dedicated to already very fuel efficient cars like the Prius, Yaris, Fit, Insight, ect.

These people are already inherently very interested in high mpg so it becomes in many cases a hobby to push it further and to document it on mpg sites like "cleanmpg.com" and "feuleconomy.org".

I may get into mileage like this (not extreme) when I get a Fit or Yaris.
Old 05-26-08, 11:26 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
It's nice to have endless money.
Or it could just be one saving his money in different ways. How much money annually do you think you save driving with these techniques vs just normally with the same car?
Old 05-26-08, 11:44 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
i average 42mpg (all hwy) or 30mpg even (all city)...

OH AND...

I can put in the cheap gas.
Yes, but you drive a 4 pot with 1/3rd the horses/tq, that weighs 2/3rds what the GS weighs.
Old 05-26-08, 12:29 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I like doing the opposite - seeing how little mileage I can get out of a tank of gas.
Old 05-26-08, 01:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

I coast to stoplights and use my anti-gas mileage pedal (commonly called the brake pedal) as infrequently as possible. I also learned on the racetrack that overusing the brakes leads to poor lap times. I'm sure this is part of why I'm still on my original discs and on my TSIB pads with my IS350 at 50k miles and am projecting pad/disc life of around 90k when many on the 2IS forum are complaining about needing brakes in 15k - 20k miles.

I don't drive slow though. I've tried. I just can't do it.
Old 05-26-08, 03:55 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i hate people who slam the gas to the next stoplight 300 ft away.

but hypermiling is nuts.
the opportunity cost is just not worth it. longer commutes, longer drives.
clock is ticking, and money is going down the toilet.

take the backroads and gun it! yeehaw!!
Old 05-26-08, 04:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

They can do whatever they want just as long as they do it in the right lane. I hate it when I come up to a slow Prius in the left lane. Seriously, nothing wrong with trying to save gas, but get the hell out of the left lane. If you are not going to keep up with traffic even if that said traffic is technically speeding, move over to the right lane and be merry and make everyone else happy.
Old 05-26-08, 05:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
They can do whatever they want just as long as they do it in the right lane. I hate it when I come up to a slow Prius in the left lane. Seriously, nothing wrong with trying to save gas, but get the hell out of the left lane. If you are not going to keep up with traffic even if that said traffic is technically speeding, move over to the right lane and be merry and make everyone else happy.
there's been slow pokes in the left "fast" lane loooooong before the Prius was ever around

...so don't blame it on hypermilers......
Old 05-26-08, 05:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
there's been slow pokes in the left "fast" lane loooooong before the Prius was ever around

...so don't blame it on hypermilers......
In a way true, but you can tell the gas and glide guys as even if you set the cruise control you keep closing in on them. I guess maybe some are better at it than others, but if you keep dropping below the speed limit and then speed up it gets very irritating. Our freeway speed limits are pretty low as is. When you start going 45 MPH on the freeway, then speed up to 50, then back coast back down its just different than catching a guy traveling at a constant 50 MPH.
Old 05-26-08, 06:27 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
In a way true, but you can tell the gas and glide guys as even if you set the cruise control you keep closing in on them. I guess maybe some are better at it than others, but if you keep dropping below the speed limit and then speed up it gets very irritating. Our freeway speed limits are pretty low as is. When you start going 45 MPH on the freeway, then speed up to 50, then back coast back down its just different than catching a guy traveling at a constant 50 MPH.
no idea who those idiots are but P&G on the highway is stupid. P&G is supposed to be on city roads and B roads. P&G on the highway does jack since the air resistance will slow you down more than if you just cruise (at 65mph, the Prius is barely turning over 1,900rpm)

Quick Reply: Hypermileage