Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Turn Any Car into a Plug-In Hybrid for $3,300

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 11:43 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Any Car into a Plug-In Hybrid for $3,300

Turn Any Car into a Plug-In Hybrid for $3,300

Toyota (Prius) and GM (the Volt and the Vue) seem to be in a race as to who will provide the first mass-produced plug-in-hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). The backfit market is building, with options coming to market for plug-in conversions for existing hybrids. But what about the 10s of millions of normal, internal combustion engines out there? Is there any hope for them?

If Poulsen Hydrid is to be believed, the answer is a resounding YES. The Poulsen Hybrid Power Assist System "creats a PHEV by retrofitting electric motors, DC motor controllers, storage batteries and an on-board charger to a conventional new or used automobile." The electric system would be used for maintaining speed, after acceleration.

The development is based on the observation that only 10-15 horsepower is required to propel a compact or mid-size automobile along a level road at a steady 60-70 mph. leading to the conclusion that this relatively small amount of electric power would be able to cope with 70-85% of normal driving, only aided by the combustion engine during start up and when extra energy is required for acceleration and hill climbing.

The systems puts hybrid electric motors on the outside of the rear wheels with an onboard charger. The system is expected to debut on the market next month. $3300 for purchase and $600 for "professional installation".

Mark me intrigued but questioning. For example,

* This system doesn't have regenerative braking, thus one is simply trading the cost of gasoline for electricity. At $4000, a break even point comes well after saving 1000 gallons of gasoline. Thus, how much gasoline is really saved as this system basically moves the ICE to idling while the electricity handles acceleration.
* The addition of this system outside the car will increase wind drag. A meaningful amount? Don't know.
* Also, some basic safety questions must arise. What are the implications for adding these systems outside the car?

But we're still pretty intrigued with this ingenious approach to tackling the challenges of the huge existing fleet of internal combustion engine vehicles and moving miles from gasoline to electricity.

Widespread adoption of PHEVs can reduce GHG emissions from vehicles by more than 450 million metric tons annually in 2050 – equivalent to removing 82.5 million passenger cars from the road.

There is an abundant supply of electricity for transportation; a 60% U.S. market share for PHEVs would use 7 percent to 8 percent of grid-supplied electricity in 2050. PHEVs can improve nationwide air quality and reduce petroleum consumption by 3 million to 4 million barrels per day in 2050.

But do we have 43 years to do this? Why not start with today's automobiles.

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1649/69/
Old 05-19-08, 11:51 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

It's interesting I suppose; but the practical implications make this one of those things that will only fly with the hard core tree-hugger croud (who probably already have a Prius).
Old 05-20-08, 12:59 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds very interesting. What do they mean my electric motors on the outside of the wheels? Does that mean the electric motors will cover up my nice aftermarket rims? Okay, kind of a joke there buy what do they mean?
Old 05-20-08, 01:07 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Here's a link to an interview with the guys from Paulsen Hybrid as they explain how the system works:

http://xprizecars.com/2008/03/interv...ik-poulsen.php
Old 05-20-08, 01:13 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Poulsen Hybrid

Let's take a simplified look at how hybrid cars work.

Hybrid electric car engines are made up of two different motors that are responsible for moving the vehicle. Because the load is now shared by two power sources, the fuel economy increases since some of the power comes from the electric motor and some comes from the gas motor.

Of course, it's not that easy. Because of the extra weight from the battery, it's actually harder to move the vehicle. Another problem is in how you charge the battery. If your only source of power for the battery comes from the gas engine, you would lose out in the energy transfer from the gas engine to the battery pack to the wheels, rather than a more direct route of gas engine to wheels.

That's where regenerative braking comes in. By taking in the energy you normally lose to friction and heat and put it back into the battery pack, hybrid cars can increase the fuel economy by a truly significant amount, depending on the system.

But, if you can recharge the battery pack through the electric grid, in other words plug the car in, you take even more of the pressure off of the gas engine.

The X-Prize
I know, it looks like I'm straying a bit, but stay with me.

The X-Prize is a $10 million competition to "design viable, clean and super-efficient cars that people want to buy." The team "that win a stage race for clean, production-capable vehicles that exceed 100 MPGe" will be the team that wins. The winning team will have developed a "real, production-capable cars that consumers want to buy, not science projects or concept cars."

Poulsen Hybrid

Alphacore, a business from CT, thinks it may have met the challenge presented by the X-Prize committee by doing things a little bit differently. Rather than building a new car altogether, they are putting together a kit (that will be ready to go in June!) that turns a normal car into a hybrid electric plug-in for only $3300 ($600 to install).

So, there's no regenerative braking system. No onboard computer system to check with. No complicated system to mate the two motors together. Since there are fewer parts, the cost comes down. More importantly, the system works with any car.

The electric motor is attached on the outside of the wheels and is powered by a 72V 120Ah Deep Cycle Lead Acid battery pack with six batteries inside, located in the trunk. Those batteries are recharged through an onboard charger, which is installed next to the batteries.

By doing so, the team at alphacore believes they can turn any car that gets a normal fuel economy into an extraordinary gas sipper.

Specifications:

* On-Wheel motors: Brushless DC construction. Dimensions 14" diameter x 2". Weight 35 lb. Rated power: 10KW = 13.5 HP (motors on two wheels).
* Adapter plates: 4 and 5 bolt patterns, available with 100, 108,114.3mm(4 1/2") and 120mm bolt circle diameters fitting app. 95% of cars.
* Motor controllers (2 pc) 72VDC max 120A (one per motor).
* Batteries: 6 pc. 12V 120 Amp hours lead/acid deep cycle, or 4 KWh Lithium-ion battery pack (Expected available from several sources by mid 2008).
* On board charger: 72 Volts/10 Amp.
* Total Weight: App. 300 lb with lead acid batteries, 200 lb with Lithium Ion batteries.
* Added un-sprung weight, 38 lb per wheel.

Question Marks

Everything I've seen on the Poulsen system lists the battery pack as a lead/acid deep cycle battery. But in the specs (from the poulsen site), they list a possible alternative as a Lithium-ion battery pack. That makes me wonder about what the measurements would be from the Li-Ion pack? Also, will the cost be different? I would assume it could go way up, but would you get more bang for the buck?

What kind of results are they seeing? I know the competition is to produce a car that can get over 100 mpg, but since the test vehicle they show is a 2003 VW Jetta Diesel, I'm wondering what a car with average fuel economy figures would get?

How durable is the system? How long will the lead/acid battery pack last? In modern hybrid cars, computer systems keep track of the charge remaining on a battery pack, making sure it doesn't get too depleted or too charged. That makes the battery last longer. Is the recharging system keeping track of the charge left? Or does it keep the electric motor running until it can't run anymore. If you had to replace the battery pack, how much would it cost and how often should you expect to do so?

What happens if you want to remove the system altogether? Is it hard to do so?

I would guess that if you had a short commute, you would do better than in a long commute, simply because you probably would not be able to recharge at your location, like you would at your home.

Conclusion

I think this is an exciting system. A fairly cheap method for updating any car? The cost savings in gas could be enormous if you really can go improve by 30, 40 or 50 mpg.

http://hybridreview.blogspot.com/200...en-hybrid.html
Old 05-20-08, 11:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
I can see smaller economy car owners, like a civic for example, doing this but I don't think many larger car owners like a BMW 5 series will go for this look (unless they have make the attachment in gold or something )
Old 05-20-08, 12:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Well, the fact that it covers the rim, and the bracket it bolted right to the plastic rear bumper cover turns me off, but not to the idea. Maybe one day someone will come out with an attachment similar to a wheel adapter where you bolt the electric motors to the cars hub, then bolt your own rims to it. Sure, you have to take into account rim offset and such, but I like that idea much better.
Old 05-20-08, 12:25 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Well, the fact that it covers the rim, and the bracket it bolted right to the plastic rear bumper cover turns me off, but not to the idea. Maybe one day someone will come out with an attachment similar to a wheel adapter where you bolt the electric motors to the cars hub, then bolt your own rims to it. Sure, you have to take into account rim offset and such, but I like that idea much better.
It's definitely not the most attractive contraption, but supposedly the Volkswagen TDI pictured is supposed to get 100mpg with their system installed. If I could get my GS to get even 40mpg or more with this system, I would seriously consider it, despite its looks. I'm trying to get more information about this to see if it's really worth the investment. Supposedly, they're going to start selling them next month, but if you go to their site, it doesn't give any information on how to order or pre-order. I tried calling and got transfered to the voicemail of the founder of the company. I didn't leave a message
Old 05-20-08, 12:30 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
It's definitely not the most attractive contraption, but supposedly the Volkswagen TDI pictured is supposed to get 100mpg with their system installed. If I could get my GS to get even 40mpg or more with this system, I would seriously consider it, despite its looks. I'm trying to get more information about this to see if it's really worth the investment. Supposedly, they're going to start selling them next month, but if you go to their site, it doesn't give any information on how to order or pre-order. I tried calling and got transfered to the voicemail of the founder of the company. I didn't leave a message
I'm sure technology will improve sooner than later. I was watching Discovery Channel a month or so ago. There was a show where they ripped out the V8 in the 69 Camaro and converted it to an electric car. Now, I still think it is blaspheme to do that to a 69 Camaro, but the car did outperform a comparable high HP V8.
Old 08-12-08, 12:36 PM
sebastian0
Driver

If the system lasted long enough, couldn't you just move it from vehicle to vehicle as you go through cars? That would make this a lot more appealing.

The main thing is if it even recovers its cost before the batteries die.