Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hybrids too expensive? look at a 90's Geo Metro!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 12:41 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking hybrids too expensive? look at a 90's Geo Metro!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...tro/index.html

(CNN) -- It's a 12-year-old, oft-mocked clunker of an automobile.

Brenton Netz has made a side business out of fixing up Geo Metros and selling them locally and on eBay.

But Marci Solomon is hoping she'll be the one laughing -- all the way to the bank -- when her Geo Metro saves her from skyrocketing gas prices.

Solomon, like many others, was taking a huge hit when it came to gas prices. With her 100-mile commute to and from work each day she saw no end in sight. Then she rediscovered the Geo Metro.

"I used to be a car snob, and I used to be too vain to drive anything that doesn't shine," Solomon, an electrician, said. "But now it's about do I want to eat, or do I want to make it to work? I want to do both."

The Metro has been making a huge comeback, especially on eBay where Solomon bought the car, because of its extremely high gas mileage.

The 1996 Metro's average of 40 miles per gallon nears that of the hybrid 2008 Toyota Prius -- priced at $21,000 for the cheapest model -- and bests most current cars by a long shot, according to government ratings. Older models of the Geo Metro, specifically cars from 1991 and the XFi edition have the same average as the hybrid.

Solomon also toyed with the idea of purchasing a Prius, but decided that for a price of $7,300, the Metro was the more economical option.

For the most part, Solomon plans on using the car for commuting from her home in Rochester, Washington, to her job. The vehicle she has now, a Honda Element, was getting 28 mpg and she was filling up twice a week, costing her nearly $100. Stations were charging $3.97 a gallon in her area Tuesday, she said.

The Metro is an investment in the future, Solomon said, even if she did pay more than five times the Blue Book value of the car.

"It was all about saving money," she said. "I don't think gas is ever going to go down and these are going to be the types of solutions we have to turn to. I wanted to beat the rush."

The 1996, 2-door, 3-cylinder Metro Solomon now owns opened on eBay May 7 with a bid of $200. A week later, Solomon won the car auction with a bid of $7,300. In 1995, a new Metro hatchback sold for about $9,000, according to Auto Mall USA.

In May alone, 43 Metros of various years and models were sold on eBay ranging in price from $221.50 to Solomon's top bid of $7,300. The cars have been hot items, fetching upwards of 49 bids on certain vehicles, with many of the auctions coming down to last-second bidding wars. On Tuesday morning, 34 more Metros were still up for grabs.

Since her eBay purchase, Solomon has acquired another Metro, which she is considering flipping on eBay for profit. She also has her eye on a third at a local car lot.

"To be honest I'm thinking of scarfing up any Geo Metro I can find," she said.

Solomon isn't alone in trying to profit off of a gas-saving craze. Brenton Netz has been selling fixed up Metros and Ford Festivas for two years now.

After buying a Metro on Craigslist in Montana and driving it back to his home in St. Cloud, Minnesota, Netz realized how rarely he was making trips to the pump.

"I thought the gas gauge was broken," Netz said. "I couldn't believe the gas mileage I was getting."

He realized he stumbled upon a possible side business and began buying one-way tickets to states in the West to purchase as many of the cars as he could. Netz said he has sold about a dozen cars so far and has eight more sitting in his backyard.

His cars only go up for sale one at a time because he knows that putting up a couple at a time would drive down the value and cut into his profit.

Netz says consumers don't seem to mind paying more than the retail value, and if they do, they generally stop feeling that way after they pick up the cars. He's gotten phone calls and e-mails from customers saying how thrilled they are with the mileage.

It seems, Netz said, people are beginning to realize their car choices need to be focused more on practicality than status and appearance.

"Gas prices are definitely driving increased popularity in the Metro, which at times wasn't cool," he said. "Now the coolness factor is stemming from the fact that you're getting 50 miles per gallon and never having to fill up."

Last edited by bagwell; 05-20-08 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-20-08, 12:43 PM
ISF84
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how reliable they are...$7k-9k for a 12 year old car seems a lot.
Old 05-20-08, 12:49 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Those Geo Metros and Suzuki Swifts are ultra reliable if taken care of. Now, I wouldn't buy one myself, but a coworker of mine had his Geo Metro for many years until someone smashed into him and totaled it. He has no kids so the car is only for he and his wife. The car was getting well over 35 MPG I believe and never broke down. He used to use synthetic oil, and when they reached over 100K miles he asked his long trusted mechanic if he needed a rebuild soon. The engine was almost brand new looking. Very little mechanical wear internally.

Now, he has a Suzuki Swift since he couldn't find a replacement Geo Metro. He says the Swift isn't as good economy wise as the Metro, but it is still well above almost anything out on the road today.

I still personally couldn't bring myself to buy one of those cars, but they do work exceptionally well for what they are designed for.
Old 05-20-08, 12:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

mostly total beaters on autotrader.......(I only looked at manual trans, quite a few automatics)...this one was $900 @100k miles...BUT...clean this thing up and you can sell it for a profit like the guys did above. I couldn't drive one in that condition...no way.

Old 05-20-08, 04:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

stupid, if she kept the element even at $5/gallon gas that $7300 wouldve been almost 50k miles worth of gas. And you wouldnt be driving a POS subcompact like on freecreditreport.com baby
Old 05-20-08, 05:23 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read. But it is also hilarious. Who spends $7300 on a 12 year old Geo Metro? I hope its at least a convertible.

And for all of those wondering, no the Metro isn't reliable. My friend had one that conked out shy of 90k miles. It was an auto and was no more fuel efficient than a Toyota Corolla from two generations ago.
Old 05-20-08, 05:35 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what's her number? I have some beach front property for sale here in AZ.
Old 05-20-08, 05:42 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't see myself in a Metro, no matter how much gas it saves.
Old 05-20-08, 05:53 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I can't see myself in a Metro, no matter how much gas it saves.
+1 Those things are ugly
Old 05-20-08, 06:07 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

7300 bucks for a Geo! Absurd!
Old 05-20-08, 06:12 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is amazing that consumers don't realize they are paying a premium for these old cars that save gas. So, how many tanks will it take to break even on the premium paid?
Old 05-20-08, 06:21 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

This is pretty much one of the stupidest things I've ever read. She couldn't have just bought an old Civic or Corolla for $1000 and spent the $6000 on gas?
Old 05-20-08, 07:32 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just wait it out for the Plug in Hybrids from top makers in no more than 3 years from now. Chevy Volt plug and Prius are worth the wait.
Old 05-20-08, 07:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Those Geo Metros and Suzuki Swifts are ultra reliable if taken care of. Now, I wouldn't buy one myself, but a coworker of mine had his Geo Metro for many years until someone smashed into him and totaled it. He has no kids so the car is only for he and his wife. The car was getting well over 35 MPG I believe and never broke down. He used to use synthetic oil, and when they reached over 100K miles he asked his long trusted mechanic if he needed a rebuild soon. The engine was almost brand new looking. Very little mechanical wear internally.

Now, he has a Suzuki Swift since he couldn't find a replacement Geo Metro. He says the Swift isn't as good economy wise as the Metro, but it is still well above almost anything out on the road today.

I still personally couldn't bring myself to buy one of those cars, but they do work exceptionally well for what they are designed for.
I thought badges were silly and people should buy what they want?

Old 05-20-08, 09:09 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
stupid, if she kept the element even at $5/gallon gas that $7300 wouldve been almost 50k miles worth of gas. And you wouldnt be driving a POS subcompact like on freecreditreport.com baby

Quick Reply: hybrids too expensive? look at a 90's Geo Metro!