Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pyscholgy 101: The name "Lexus" and it's stereotype...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 11:53 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always get that with mine if its someone around my age or older. You probably didnt get that with the audi because audi isnt that recognized by non enthusiasts.
Old 05-21-08, 11:55 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought my 1GS in 2002 and took another job shortly thereafter. I had to go with my soon-to-be-ex-employer and let our client know that I was leaving. The CEO of the company I was leaving told the client, "he has a Lexus now, so he needs extra money to make the payments." I shrugged it off despite the fact the car was already 8 years old and cost me under $16K. Not too extravagant, really.

These people making comments are compelled by the same factor that causes people to say, "mine's next" whenever you wash your car; stupidity.
Old 05-21-08, 01:48 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boss already made a comment like "I must be paying you too much" and I'm actually wondering if it will come into play when I have my yearly review later this month. I would hope that wouldn't be the case, but in today's world you never know.
Old 05-21-08, 02:12 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by link13
I bought my 1GS in 2002 and took another job shortly thereafter. I had to go with my soon-to-be-ex-employer and let our client know that I was leaving. The CEO of the company I was leaving told the client, "he has a Lexus now, so he needs extra money to make the payments." I shrugged it off despite the fact the car was already 8 years old and cost me under $16K. Not too extravagant, really.

These people making comments are compelled by the same factor that causes people to say, "mine's next" whenever you wash your car; stupidity.
O M G ... can i just say how much i SUPER DUPER ULTRA HATE AND CANT STAND IT when someone says that to me

No buddy, yours is NOT next, I just spent an hour making sure my car was pristine and you want me to clean yours now? which is about 12x dirtier than mine was when i started and have it look just as good as mine? AND do it for free because i'm just such a nice person like that? ... why dont you stand on the other side of this hose nosile and say that again ...
Old 05-21-08, 03:12 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGearLA
this is pretty interesting in accordance to something I just recently read on a blog. There is a project site called http://www.brandtags.net where people input the first word they correlate with a brand name.
nice. it's gonna take a while to shake off the perception of lexus being an:

expensive
toyota

interestingly, audi isn't perceived as often as an overpriced VW

Last edited by dunnojack; 05-21-08 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-21-08, 03:38 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
nice. it's gonna take a while to shake off the perception of lexus being an:

expensive
toyota

interestingly, audi isn't perceived as often as an overpriced VW
There's not as many shared platforms with Audi/VW and when there is it's not as obvious.

Who is really going to be able to tell that a TT uses the same platform as the GTI or that the Phaeton, when it was out, shared its platform with the Audi A8 (and Bentley continental, for that matter)
Old 05-21-08, 06:20 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
There's not as many shared platforms with Audi/VW and when there is it's not as obvious.

Who is really going to be able to tell that a TT uses the same platform as the GTI or that the Phaeton, when it was out, shared its platform with the Audi A8 (and Bentley continental, for that matter)
well, most of their crap is fwd, or fwd biased awd.
so I'd say a lot of sharing is going on with vw.

which platform is the A4 based off of? the jetta? they got that fwd 1.8L version.
Old 05-21-08, 06:26 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
well, most of their crap is fwd, or fwd biased awd.
so I'd say a lot of sharing is going on with vw.

which platform is the A4 based off of? the jetta? they got that fwd 1.8L version.
Audi's design philosophy is FWD or FWD based on AWD... doesn't mean they're sharing anything. Does the IS share anything with the LS or LX despite them all being RWD based?

The A4 used to be roughly based off the Passat two generations ago... but starting with the 6th gen it no longer shares its platform with any VW sold in the US... though for the 8th generation about to come out I've heard its new platform may be used as the foundation for the A6 much like the GS platform is used for the IS and SC.
Old 05-21-08, 06:48 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after reading some of these comments, it's almost as if some of these people who make the snide comments actually expect LESS from you and are surprised that you drive a nicer car.

could this be almost insulting?
Old 05-21-08, 06:48 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

agree- I could care less about the name- i love Lexus quality. If a car manuf. named Turd sold the SC I would still buy one if they had the same quality standards- Did that make sense? I confused myself
Old 05-21-08, 07:04 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_NIICE
im actually kind of embarassed sometimes. one time last year i was driving around and i accidentally cut off my teacher in his jeep. the next day in class he gave this speech about suburban kids with their expensive cars and how they act like they're on top of the world =\ stared
right at me and then said '"right Ron and Gabe?" im ron and my friend gabe had a newer f150 on 24's at the time (currently has an a4)...in his situation he was playing music too loud and annoyed the teacher.

not only that--when family or my parents friends come over and they see my car outside they're always saying how lucky i am but inside theyre just saying wow you're spoiled. w/e

in general people do see you differently when you have a car like a lexus--although usually it isn't bad.

You're how old and driving an IS350? I'm sorry, but odds are you are spoiled. Atleast most of the people on here worked for theirs.
Old 05-21-08, 07:47 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^^ i think we are not to say whether someone is spoiled or not,. i mean im getting a es300 for my car, but i don't consider myself spoiled due to the fact i will pay gas, insurance, upkeep, and along with that i do a lot of other things, keep in mind though it is a 2001. and to what people saying things about lexus, let em. because in the end, i'll know that i enjoy the fact that i am fotunate to be able to have something this nice. people may think you got money because you drive a lexus, or an audi, or a bmw or mb'z, but why does it matter? i say the people who make those comments, are just kidding and like messing with you, or people who think they can't have it and try to make people who do have it, rethink about it. just my opinion
Old 05-21-08, 07:59 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

It's funny, in another thread someone was mentioning how Ferraris and Lambos are pretty common in their area, and in this thread people are describing the reactions of people that are impressed by an IS. I guess it really depends on where you live and what kind of people are around
Old 05-21-08, 10:31 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mteele
You're how old and driving an IS350? I'm sorry, but odds are you are spoiled. Atleast most of the people on here worked for theirs.
im 19 attending pepperdine university now. i got my lexus when i was 17 in high school (when that story occurred). say what you'd like about me being spoiled--if you read anything i wrote before you would realize that obviously my age was a factor in why i was treated differently. i've already heard it all . the funny thing is that i have one of the cheaper of my friends' cars. my best friend drives a 911 and an IS350 daily driver and my other friend has an 07 gallardo and a 08 c-class daily driver, these are the kids that i grew up with and have known for many years and have stuck with. yes they're spoiled but it doesn't make them bad people. i have gone to private school all my life and among all my school friends the least-expensive vehicle owned is an 06 Mustang GT. this is what i have been surrounded by since i was young--so for me my car is the "norm"
Old 05-21-08, 10:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by link13

I have a boss who literally gauges a customer's potential by which car they drive. He'll also thinks he doesn't need to give raises out to those employees who have nice cars. You wouldn't believe the things I have gone through to hide from him what I drive. lol I think he still thinks I have my old 1992 GMC pick-up truck.

Quick Reply: Pyscholgy 101: The name "Lexus" and it's stereotype...