Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pyscholgy 101: The name "Lexus" and it's stereotype...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 10:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by HighImStan
Yes, I have similar experiences. During the first few months, I actually tried to keep the car in private; parked my car far and not even mention I purchased a new car. After awhile I just didn't car what people think or how they react. It is a car that I paid for and I can enjoy it anyway I like. Being in my line of work (piano teacher), it is hard to avoid such remarks. Maybe if I were in another field I would not be treated this way...
I hear ya. I too parked far away and didn't want my co-workers and customers to see. That got old of course, and now everyone knows. What I find really funny and ironic is many of these people who poke fun or are jealous, could actually afford the same car if they went through the same work I went through to get such a deal. It takes some sweat, but it can happen.
Old 05-21-08, 10:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by meefer
I've gotten my share of eye rolls - hell the director of my department asked me straight up how much I paid for it. He's a fan - owns an ES and wanted to know but STILL.

In the end, what are you going to do, change their minds? Explain your whole life story to them? It's like a tall guy explaining why he's not good at basketball. I'm a little out of context here, but if they start complaining about your bread, say "Bread is for peasants, I eat cake, biatch!"
LOL!!! Good one!
Old 05-21-08, 10:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Brian231
I think we all have experienced the jealousy in one way shape or form. Personally, I could care less because I love these cars. I would not let it bother you at all. I also would refrain from developing resentment and hostility as a result. This will only act to add fuel to the parties involved in their jealousy. I had a couple of people at my last job in wonderful Corporate America constantly comment on my gen 1 in a snobbish way. It was always clean and I parked far out to avoid dings. I basically stated, go buy one if you are that infatuated. If you notice, these parties concerned are typically those of lower class who sustain a woe-is-me attitude but do nothing to correct it. They subsequently lash out at those enjoying life. Having said all this, have fun with your "IS" and remember, you have great taste.
Good advice, thanks! Recommending they get the same car is actually not a bad idea. And for the type of lease deal I got, many of these people could afford it too. I am in the low 300's/mo, the same as a nice Altima or Accord or Camry. If someone does their research, they can have a nice car too.
Old 05-21-08, 10:53 PM
calichris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just give them one of these
Name:  DX_SUCK_IT__ID_by_D_Generation_X.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  13.1 KB
Old 05-21-08, 11:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Buds
My boss already made a comment like "I must be paying you too much" and I'm actually wondering if it will come into play when I have my yearly review later this month. I would hope that wouldn't be the case, but in today's world you never know.
I have the same fear. Little does my boss know I have a small apartment and can barely afford bills and basic living. While he has a typical house, vacations, and the rest. Everyone has their interests and priorities... just because I got a good lease on the car I wanted doesn't mean I am wealthy. Stereotyping is a bummer sometimes.
Old 05-22-08, 08:55 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Swap L for TRD or something ;]
Old 05-22-08, 10:08 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't get it? Why does it bother you that people think you have money? Let them think you're a baller and enjoy the compliments on the nice car, enjoy the jealousy and the haters that wished they had the same car ... I am the youngest person in my office and have one of the nicest cars here. I'm only 20 and everyone else is in their 30's or later, I am also one of the lowest paid here lol, and everytime a boss or a corporate guy sees my car they're like damn we must be paying you too much ... Half the people in my job have asked me for a ride in it, and most of them literally when I tell them I take the car to the track ... I love my car

-Since I don't make more money, and since I don't give orders around here, I'm at least glad I can make my bosses jealous
Old 05-22-08, 04:32 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Dubai, even though they like German cars more, they admit that Lexus is the most reliable of them all.
Old 05-22-08, 04:47 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
the comments people make reflect more about them than they do about you so don't worry man.
Very true! When I first got my Lexus a few acquaintances said essentially "Oh, now that you have a Lexus are you going to act better than everyone else?" I just laughed and said, of course I am! Some people are just so insecure about everything, it is ridiculous.

Last edited by ISF_GG; 05-22-08 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-22-08, 06:52 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had more than one person tell me "Wow, look at your car...you must be rich!"...my standard response is..."Have you seen my car? I'm broke!"

One of the nice things about the SC430 (and I know that many disagree that this is a GOOD thing) is that they haven't really changed much. People are shocked when they find out that my car is 4 years old.

I paid around $40K for my 2003 in 2006. For around $36,800 (I just priced it at honda.com) I could have had a brand-new fully-loaded Accord that no one would have thought/looked twice about. Pass.

There's a guy at work (good friend of mine) who sometimes makes little snide comments like "Talk to the guy with the Lexus" or "I'm not the one driving the fancy car". This guy AND his wife...both drive Acura's (He's got an MDX and she drives a fully-loaded TL) but I'm the pretentious one in my "fancy car"?. Just for fun, I just went to Acura.com and priced out the TL. If they paid anything in the general neighborhood of list, I paid less than they did for my car.

My wife drives a POS 1999 Suzuki. We have one nice car and I'm not going to apologize, be ashamed, or hide it from anyone.

I don't think that driving a Lexus means "I'm better than you" but, when I price out some new cars these days and read the reliability discussions on some of the boards (some of the BMW stories are frightning), I begin to think that driving a Lexus means "I'm smarter than you".
Old 05-22-08, 09:53 PM
Mugen_1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been catching a lot of flack from owning my '97 LS400 since I got it a year ago.

I had a '99 Accord EX-L V6, and when my brother turned 16 last October, he got that car and I bought the Lexus from an old man in town (had 96,000 miles on it at the time).

My professors at the college I attend has been giving me flack about it since I told some of them. Examples(s):

When I had to go to one of the transfer offices to get information for the college paper (I was the editor this year), the journalism adviser told everyone in the room: "This is Nick, the editor this year...and HE owns a LEXUS! Isn't that sad he has a nicer car than all the professors here?"

My sociology teacher one day asked what a couple of us drove...so I told him..."a pearl white/beige '97 Lexus LS400..." He says: "An LS400, eh? That's the top of the line! Your humble professor here can barely afford an Oldsmobile!"

Also

One of my friends just bought an '04 Mazda RX-8, and another friend bought a '97 BMW M3...yet when we're all together at our town's "cruise nights," it seems like everyone is quick to say something to me about "...yeah, well you have a Lexus...lucky punk..."

I work at a Wal-Mart, and when we were in the process of transferring from our old store to the new Supercenter that opened in early March, like five of us at a time had to go to the "new store" for orientation. I told them I would drive when it was my group of five, and they were all like "Awesome, I get to ride in a Lexus!! You're so lucky! yada yada yada..."

It kinda gets annoying...but I've learned to deal with it.

On the contrary, I was driving around the local Nissan dealership the other day killing time, and one of the salesmen approached me while I was driving and asked what I'd take for the car right there on the spot. Then he went on and on about how awesome of shape my car was in for being 11 years old, and I let him crawl around in it (I had just swept, washed, waxed, etc it). He said he'd always wanted a Lexus...about how they command such street presence and are so classy and elegant. But unlike everyone else's comments, I could tell his were sincere and he truly appreciated it for the fine piece of engineering it was, not just because "it's a Lexus, lol..."
Old 05-22-08, 11:24 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by crzyis
Well Im kinda facing the same. Normally with my 335 no one really says much but its a nice car. When i got the X5 no one said much and or cared I Drive an X5 but ever since i got my Lexus every one is on me like white on rice. Ohhh now you drive a Lexus you can afford this and that and this and that. Honestly I don't get it. people spend 500 600 a month paying for a other crappy cars when they to can be in a Lexus but i guess they choose not to be.

I too try to hide my Lexus now from everyone just so I don't hear it from anyone. Im so sick of it!
THE CURSE OF LEXUS!!!!

You get alot of compliments but you also notice the people who get jelous!!!
Old 05-23-08, 01:31 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you buy any luxury car you should expect that. After all, in most cases people who buy luxury cars are in a position to afford one. Even the cheapest near luxury car is $30K and that is a lot of money. Most people can't afford a $30K car much less a $40K+ car. I let my wife take our 94 Accord to work now. She is in PR so driving around herself or clients in a simple car can't harm anything but potentially clients can get turned off a bit if you have a nice luxury car.
Old 05-23-08, 09:24 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS_NIICE
im actually kind of embarassed sometimes. one time last year i was driving around and i accidentally cut off my teacher in his jeep. the next day in class he gave this speech about suburban kids with their expensive cars and how they act like they're on top of the world =\ stared
right at me and then said '"right Ron and Gabe?" im ron and my friend gabe had a newer f150 on 24's at the time (currently has an a4)...in his situation he was playing music too loud and annoyed the teacher.

not only that--when family or my parents friends come over and they see my car outside they're always saying how lucky i am but inside theyre just saying wow you're spoiled. w/e

in general people do see you differently when you have a car like a lexus--although usually it isn't bad.
lol ron you are spoiled jp i have the same until they see my car and realize its like 1000 years old
Old 05-24-08, 06:00 AM
timer00
Pole Position

Well I have had my car for about a year now and love it of course.
I finally got my first public comment on it from a stranger at the local gas station. I was coming home from work.

HE: That is a nice Leuxs
ME: Thanks!
HE: Your inspection is out.
ME: Yes, I know!
HE: Man that is a really nice car
ME: Yea I got it for the same price as a new Chevy Cobalt or so
ME: I gotta go, cya later

lol true story !

He drove a late model champagne Subaru Forester