Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

We're all screwed!! (335 owners atleast)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08 | 10:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
That's against Federal Law. There's a little thing called the Magnussen-Moss warranty act, and one of its stipulations is that in order to void PART of your warranty for using "unauthorized components", there must be a failure, and the manufacturer must conclusively prove that the non-OE part directly caused the failure.
Not really. The Magnussen-Moss Act doesn't cover major aftermarket components as much as it does routine service and parts. The Act was not meant to deal with owners putting on different wheels, suspensions, exhaust systems, body parts, etc.... but the practice of some manufacturers of requiring routine service and parts ONLY at approved dealerships. That is a different issue from what this thread deals with. The M-M act simply allows you to use oil filters, spark plugs, air filters, etc..... that are a different brand from stock as long as they meet OEM requirements, or to have routine service done in an independent shop, and still keep the warranty.
Old 05-22-08 | 11:42 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

come on like you bimmer owners didn't see this coming???
Old 05-22-08 | 12:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I dont see why is everyone crying. BMW is doing the right thing, they are not preventing you from modding the car, so they are not being a "big brother" or anything. They just dont want to take the expense of replacing blown engines caused by mods.
Old 05-22-08 | 12:25 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

How does this affect leased vehicles that have been chipped? Will they force you to buy the car at the end of the lease?
Old 05-22-08 | 12:30 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. The Magnussen-Moss Act doesn't cover major aftermarket components as much as it does routine service and parts. The Act was not meant to deal with owners putting on different wheels, suspensions, exhaust systems, body parts, etc.... but the practice of some manufacturers of requiring routine service and parts ONLY at approved dealerships. That is a different issue from what this thread deals with. The M-M act simply allows you to use oil filters, spark plugs, air filters, etc..... that are a different brand from stock as long as they meet OEM requirements, or to have routine service done in an independent shop, and still keep the warranty.
Incorrect, read up on the latest SEMA reports on M-M Act, not some outdated info from 1972. A manufacturer has to prove that your specific part caused the failure in question. If you're a competent tech, that's easily done. But as many have said, you gotta pay if you want to play...there's no free meal ticket. It seems many of 335i owners may be lease owners and worried about what would happen after lease end. BMW may charge them a grip if they have plausible cause that the owners voided the warranty purposely and breached the contracts....
Old 05-22-08 | 12:59 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Exactly, I wondered about this exact item with Lease options. Why would anyone F with their car when it is a lease, right? Well, numerous people on the e90post.com site have done that exact thing with piggback systems thinking they can just pull it out with NO SIGN OF IT. Good luck with that! If you lease a car than you should not be purchasing items of that nature.
Old 05-22-08 | 01:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

like ST said, that's incorrect. not just oil filters, anything aftermarket will apply. coilovers, exhaust, chip, etc... they have to prove that part can cause the defect in order to void warranty. if i put on the chip and suddenly the brake caliper pistons got stuck, they have to replace it period
Old 05-22-08 | 01:28 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

I've been telling you guys for years that modding could void the warranty, and didn't recommend it. Nobody seemed to want to listen.

Now, it doesn't mean you CAN'T mod. That, of course, is your decision. But those who DO mod have to be willing to accept the consequences. It could also mean a more difficult resale or trade-in.
I'm surprised that more manufactureres haven't cracked down like BMW. Adding aftermarket parts that alter the OEM specifications would be reason for any manufacturer to void the warranty, if that part caused a problem. That would be like buying a HDTV, opening up the set and adding/deleting wires and circuit boards with aftermarket pieces. Then the TV stops working. Do you think the Manufacturer is going to be happy to honor their warranty? If it was my company, I would say you voided your warranty when you modified the machine. Period.

Last edited by ISF_GG; 05-22-08 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-22-08 | 01:35 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

I say its stupid policy. A BMW is an enthusiasts car. Why penolize people if they responsibly tune there car. If I'm going to pay close to 50k for a Bimmer then I want to mod it.
Old 05-22-08 | 01:36 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexmenow
I say its stupid policy. A BMW is an enthusiasts car. Why penolize people if they responsibly tune there car. If I'm going to pay close to 50k for a Bimmer then I want to mod it.
No one says you can't mod the car. they just won't warranty the car anymore. you can't blame BMW.
Old 05-22-08 | 01:40 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Ferrari is an enthusiasts car too. I wonder what Ferrari would say if you modded you engine, causing a problem. I'll bet they would say the repair bill is all yours.................. and by the way, and your warranty is void.
Old 05-22-08 | 01:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I'm surprised that more manufactureres haven't cracked down like BMW. Adding aftermarket parts that alter the OEM specifications would be reason for any manufacturer to void the warranty. That would be like buying a HDTV, opening up the set and adding/deleting wires and circuit boards with aftermarket pieces. Then the TV stops working. Do you think the Manufacturer is going to be happy to honor their warranty? If it was my company, I would say you voided your warranty when you modified the machine. Period.
most of the times things work a lot more complicated than what you think. if it's just about what you said, then it's very simple

however, some companies actually want to go a bit easy on that coz' they want the marketing and they want to grow the business, like they want to attract certain crowds of people, etc.... they are just doing it very carefully, not saying boldly what they do, and if it's mildly done, they know their products are strong enough for those "mods", they are ok. but if it's too extreme, then they void it from case to case. putting it in hard black and white won't do them much good in some cases

and in this 335 cases, bmw actually (initially, at least) attracted a lot of evo and sti owners (from what my friend told me) about ability of the car, etc... i can see why bmw is cracking down on that, but at the same time, they might drive part of the crowd away
Old 05-22-08 | 02:45 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
OEMs have been trying to do that for years. Now technology has just made it easier for them to do. I used to revert my car to stock when I went it for my annual safety inspection. Any modes without a reconstruction in my city means you fail your inspection and can't register your car. Most of us use to just take the few hours to remove all visible mods or any questionable mod, get our inspections, then put it back on. Now with technology, the OEM's are catching up. Doesn't matter much anyway since most modders would wait for their warranty was up anyway before performing a large possible warranty voiding mod. At least I know I would.
annual safety inspection? is that for all cars in your area? or was that a work related thing?

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I thought modding = voiding warranty automatically.
i also thought this

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think people listen. But people don't take RESPONSIBILITY.

The bad thing is that when the owner does something that stresses the car and breaks something, they blame the car maker, not themselves!

What ever happened to "You break it, you buy it..." ?

Why does an auto maker have to pay for aftermarket accidents?
Why doesn't the owner just say, "I made a mistake. I'll pay for it."

Instead, people who mod want the warranty to cover their expenses. Greedy people...

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
How does this affect leased vehicles that have been chipped? Will they force you to buy the car at the end of the lease?
I always wonder that myself when people have modded leased cars ... i guess so long as the manufacturer doesn't find out and you return the car at the end of the lease in stock condition it's ok

the more i hear about all the new rules etc on new cars the more i like the 2001 one that i drive
Old 05-22-08 | 02:45 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

reason why my bro is thinking twice about chipping his car..
Old 05-22-08 | 02:52 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Good for BMW for watching their backs.

BMW is now pulling warranty's left and right, causing people to whine about their voided warranty's.

This is a reality check people, appreciate what you got.

Quick Reply: We're all screwed!! (335 owners atleast)