Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

We're all screwed!! (335 owners atleast)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 03:44 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Let me clear it up a little. I read in an earlier post that dealers had to prove your mod caused whatever trouble your having. One or two mods shouldn't void your whole warrenty.

I agree that chipping cars and doing major mods like turbos and crap should void your warrenty, but if I want to put a K&N filter or a better sounding exhaust on my car it shouldn't void my whole warrenty.
K&N filter can do a lot of damage. It is soaked in oil, and if your car is equipped with a MAF sensor, it will get contaminated by the oil, and start sending wrong reading to the ECU, which in turn will produce incorrect air fuel ratio. It happened to my GS, I had a huge thread on it in the 2GS forum, I had major enging "pinging/detonation", and it took me 6 month or so to get to the bottom of the problem. I'm lucky I didn't kill my engine. K&N is a phony company, I wish there was a class action suit against them and their phony products.
Old 05-24-08, 08:42 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
thats what you get for buying a BMW
WTH does that mean?

Originally Posted by Och
Interesting point... So If one was to lease a BMW and mod it with a ECU chip, what would happen upon the end of lease term if BMW finds out? Will the next buyer of the car have warranty or its void for all future owners? And will the orininal leaser pay a fine?
Och, I bet that the BMW lease agreement covers this and basically says you can't mod the car in a way that takes it away from stock. But I wonder what the penalty is?

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
5. BMW should step in. BMW is supposedly the "enthusiast" luxury brand and more and more they are stepping away from that. Electronic this and that. Americans had to cry foul to get a manual M5 (where you still can't deactivate the trac control). Heavier cars and the steering is no longer just an automatic win.
Mike, I thought they had fixed this (and then I read that some people were still having trouble). Do you have an update?
Old 05-24-08, 10:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999

Mike, I thought they had fixed this (and then I read that some people were still having trouble). Do you have an update?
Unless there is a "mod", manual equipped M5s and I believe also M6s do not have defeatable trac control, only SMG equipped cars.

Old 05-24-08, 10:50 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Unless there is a "mod", manual equipped M5s and I believe also M6s do not have defeatable trac control, only SMG equipped cars.
BMW announced they were going to allow it to be disabled. Here is the official bulletin. Like I said, not sure if it was ever implemented.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=107518
Old 05-24-08, 10:53 AM
LexFather

Thanks Doug, didn't know that.

Old 05-24-08, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

BMW announced they were going to allow it to be disabled. Here is the official bulletin. Like I said, not sure if it was ever implemented.
Why disable it, though, unless you want to do burnouts or powerslides, both of which waste expensive fuel and expensive tires?
Old 05-24-08, 12:02 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why disable it, though, unless you want to do burnouts or powerslides, both of which waste expensive fuel and expensive tires?
What else can you really do to enjoy such cars, these cars are built for the track and people buy them to commute to work.
Old 05-24-08, 12:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Sometimes when ure stuck in snow, u dont have much choice but to disable TC and burn tires until u get out.
Old 05-24-08, 01:36 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EDGE2
As to what the OP 1st said, It would be interesting to know what BMW did to the new ECU and how they can add a program to the old 1 to catch mods, I could see the new one having some sort of hard drive or black box to record any behavior outside of what BMW programed the car for, but the older ECU with a program update, I wonder if anyone with a 335 has noticed a new piece of hardware under the hood

This also seems like it was just a matter of time, countless threads on BMW forums have owners putting mods on cars, leading to odd noises and not running right so they take them to the dealer, with the internet and the obvious they probably realized what was happening.

BMW is the car for enthusiast but where do you draw the line, go to any car forum and everyone wants to know if I should remove my intake before I take it to the dealer, BMW is a little more extreme, nothings change but it's just harder to hide your mistake.

BMW new slogan should be "Don't hate the Player, Hate the Game"
What they did was BMW purchased all of the tuner piggybacks. And so now they have FASTA data of all the piggyback's signatures. So they can measure anything that goes slightly out of normal parameter, and BAM your caught. And you dont even realize they did it. You could have had your mod in for 15 months and when you bring it in, they red flag it and your effed.
Old 05-24-08, 01:38 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

For the track - best performance is normally obtained with all traction control off.
Old 05-24-08, 01:42 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

For the track - best performance is normally obtained with all traction control off.
Yes and most modifications are recommend for off road only and 100 octane.
Old 05-24-08, 05:06 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WTH does that mean?
pretty self explanatory should have stuck with lexus
Old 05-24-08, 05:50 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Unless BMW's traction control has changed DRASTICALLY in the past few years, it's dangerous to keep it on. I can't count the number of times the DSC in my 3-series has nearly gotten me killed by completely cutting power while I was in the middle of a left turn with traffic oncoming. It particularly likes to do this in the winter. A small amount of slippage or tirespin can make for very efficient driving, but the Bavarian nanny thinks getting T-boned is safer than skidding an inch.

Turning off the DSC is the VERY FIRST thing I do EVERY SINGLE time I start the car. Before I turn on the radio, or fasten my seatbelt. I asked the dealer to disable it permanently, but they told me the ABS would be disabled as well. So the button gets pushed every time the key gets turned.

Suffice it to say that I will NEVER own a BMW in which the traction control is not defeatable. I'm angry enough that there's no off switch in the RX. But at least it's only annoyed me on a few occasions and not attempted to murder me.

Last edited by geko29; 05-24-08 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-24-08, 05:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Unless BMW's traction control has changed DRASTICALLY in the past few years, it's dangerous to keep it on. I can't count the number of times the DSC in my 3-series has nearly gotten me killed by completely cutting power while I was in the middle of a left turn with traffic oncoming. It particularly likes to do this in the winter. A small amount slippage or tirespin can make for very efficient driving, but the Bavarian nanny thinks getting T-boned is safer than skidding an inch.

Turning off the DSC is the VERY FIRST thing I do EVERY SINGLE time I start the car. Before I turn on the radio, or fasten my seatbelt. I asked the dealer to disable it permanently, but they told me the ABS would be disabled as well. So the button gets pushed every time the key gets turned.

Suffice it to say that I will NEVER own a BMW in which the traction control is not defeatable. I'm angry enough that there's no off switch in the RX. But at least it's only annoyed me on a few occasions and not attempted to murder me.

I can concur to that, I hate VSC in my GS, it nearly got me into accidents on three occasions. Utterly useless and dangerous system.
Old 05-24-08, 07:31 PM
insider
Pole Position

I don't see what the big deal is. A stock 335i still pulls easily on cars such as the lexus is350 and if you want more power with warranty, you can get the Dinan with full warranty and over 400 torque

Quick Reply: We're all screwed!! (335 owners atleast)