Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Mulls Two Dedicated Hybrid Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 09:50 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
So the Lexus version of the Prius won't be here until calendar year 2010?
CY 2009 as a 2010 model... you know.. Sept 2009 as a 2010 model.

Originally Posted by Faymester
i'm concerned about the lexus prius ... are there any concept drawings around?

never mind, i found this pic and remembered we've already seen the concept, and i'm still concerned

I dunno but I kinda like the front design of it. The headlights look quite nice but the square foglights remind me of the Sonata.
Old 05-25-08, 08:30 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is axactly what Lexus needs to conquer europe...
Old 05-25-08, 04:34 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer

Knowing Lexus it might actually come out in March 2009 as a 2010. Less than a year away.
Old 05-25-08, 04:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I'm hoping for something less Prius looking and a little more Lexus looking. Those sketches as it is now just looks like a Prius with a Lexus grill. Maybe something like a baby IS style or something. Leave the "Hybrid Looking" cars to dedicated hybrid lines like the Prius. Keep the mainstream hybrids more traditional looking. That way, the "Gotta look like we are saving the planet" hybrid owners that want be different can continue to buy the Prius type cars and the rest of us can start getting into the hybrid market without having to pay $50K+. I realize you also have a lot of other normal looking hybrids, but I'm just saying we need more of them
Old 05-25-08, 08:23 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i would not look at that japanese magazine for indications of the next lexus
trusting in a japanese magazine's speculation is like believing that you can survive licking the urinal of a truck stop

crappy fake drawing = fail
Old 05-25-08, 11:56 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'm hoping for something less Prius looking and a little more Lexus looking. Those sketches as it is now just looks like a Prius with a Lexus grill. Maybe something like a baby IS style or something. Leave the "Hybrid Looking" cars to dedicated hybrid lines like the Prius. Keep the mainstream hybrids more traditional looking. That way, the "Gotta look like we are saving the planet" hybrid owners that want be different can continue to buy the Prius type cars and the rest of us can start getting into the hybrid market without having to pay $50K+. I realize you also have a lot of other normal looking hybrids, but I'm just saying we need more of them
Totally agree. I know some research has shown that hybrid owners want to stand out and make a visual statement with their cars, but really, many potential buyers such as myself, do not. If they make this dedicated hybrid to look anything like the IS, then sign me up right away. A nice solid looking sedan with some unique styling accents would be just fine.
Old 05-26-08, 07:17 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Totally agree. I know some research has shown that hybrid owners want to stand out and make a visual statement with their cars, but really, many potential buyers such as myself, do not. If they make this dedicated hybrid to look anything like the IS, then sign me up right away. A nice solid looking sedan with some unique styling accents would be just fine.
Funny, my mom was just saying that she is glad that Lexus added the hybrid badging to the RX400h for '07. She doesn't neccessarily want people to think that she's all green. More that she wants to stand out as not having your regular RX330/350. Which, when you have a car that is fast and fuel efficient, well thats just plain cool. However, I told her that I don't think most people associate the word hybrid with V8 power.
Old 05-26-08, 10:42 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Funny, my mom was just saying that she is glad that Lexus added the hybrid badging to the RX400h for '07. She doesn't neccessarily want people to think that she's all green. More that she wants to stand out as not having your regular RX330/350. Which, when you have a car that is fast and fuel efficient, well thats just plain cool. However, I told her that I don't think most people associate the word hybrid with V8 power.

First thing I would do is debadge the car Cars should come with no badges at all, and if buyers want to advertise or feel the need to brag about their cars brand, it should be a paid package option they can buy. That way the rest of us can save a little money by not buying those stupid little plastic badges and emblems and have a nice clean slick car
Old 05-26-08, 06:32 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Knowing Lexus it might actually come out in March 2009 as a 2010. Less than a year away.
Well the new Prius is scheduled to make an appearance at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show.. who knows what else Toyota will showcase.
Old 05-26-08, 08:59 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

First thing I would do is debadge the car Cars should come with no badges at all, and if buyers want to advertise or feel the need to brag about their cars brand, it should be a paid package option they can buy. That way the rest of us can save a little money by not buying those stupid little plastic badges and emblems and have a nice clean slick car
Meh, automakers use that badging as advertising.
Old 05-26-08, 10:33 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd buy a dedicated Lexus production CUV hybrid. I know their standards and that it would make a great daily, luxury vehicle. I trust Lexus to build me a great car but by 2010/2011, with gas prices probably around the $6-$8/gal. range, the MPG better be 50-60+
Old 05-27-08, 10:20 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
According to the article in the lead post:

"Inside Line has learned that the new Prius is expected to go on sale in North America in late spring 2009, as a 2010 model. The first dedicated Lexus hybrid won't arrive in dealerships until calendar year 2010, according to Japanese sources. A second Lexus hybrid is tentatively slated for production in 2011."

Calendar year means 2010. Model year starts in 2009 but if they say calendar year, they mean not until after Jan. 1 2010. And how long after is anyone's guess, Lexus isn't exactly known for rushing models out. If the article is wrong, fine. But that is what I based my comments on and they are still
Old 05-27-08, 10:54 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Meh, automakers use that badging as advertising.
So whyt aren't they paying the customers for advertising space? That is my point. I don't want to be a free advertising billboard for any company unless I'm getting something out of it. The company I work for doesn't just give out free advertising time. The make the client pay for it, or its bartered with a trade of some sorts. Those who actually like the badges should be the one to pay for it. Those that don't want it should have to pay for it. But I guess that will never happen. We are in a consumer world of paying for what you don't want.
Old 05-27-08, 02:34 PM
LexFather

Could be a great DD. BY 2010/11 gas will be $7 a gallon!!

Old 05-27-08, 02:53 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Could be a great DD. BY 2010/11 gas will be $7 a gallon!!
I think it is possible, but I tell you what. If gas really does cost anything over $6 a gallon in just 2-3 year you can bet out economy will tank even worst than what it is today. That could literally put a great deal of people on the streets. If you think housing foreclosure is bad today, it will drive hundreds of thousands of people bankrupt.

Going up to $6-$7 a gallon for gas is literally double what people were paying just a year ago and scraping by. Even buying a hybrid or electric car wont save the economic disaster. I know for a fact our food prices on the Island is going to increase a lot if/when that happens. Wont be able to eat lunch for $10 anymore. Probably would cost $18 just for lunch. Airline tickets off this rock would cost $2000+ round trip. Shipping goods into the Island is going to skyrocket.

At this rate I'm thinking not only the automotive industry needs to come up with alternative fuel, but the boating/shipping industry and even airline industry will also have to come up with alternative fuel means.

Quick Reply: Lexus Mulls Two Dedicated Hybrid Vehicles