Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Mulls Two Dedicated Hybrid Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 03:44 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Mulls Two Dedicated Hybrid Vehicles

Toyota's upscale Lexus brand is considering the addition of at least two dedicated hybrid vehicles to its rapidly expanding product portfolio, including a premium-priced companion to the Toyota Prius as well as a midsize crossover that could be the industry's first dedicated gas-electric CUV, industry sources tell Inside Line.

Lexus currently offers both conventional and hybrid versions of several existing models but does not market a dedicated hybrid-only vehicle such as the Prius.

The next-generation Prius, which is slated to go into production in Japan in less than a year, is expected to make its world debut in January at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show.

It will be joined at the Detroit show by a new Lexus hybrid, which may also feature Toyota's first use of advanced lithium-ion batteries in place of the current nickel-metal-hydride system.

It is not known if the Lexus hybrid concept for Detroit will be a crossover or, like the Prius, a five-door hatchback sedan, nor whether its sheet metal will reflect the final production styling.

Inside Line has learned that the new Prius is expected to go on sale in North America in late spring 2009, as a 2010 model. The first dedicated Lexus hybrid won't arrive in dealerships until calendar year 2010, according to Japanese sources. A second Lexus hybrid is tentatively slated for production in 2011.

All three models reportedly will be built on an updated version of Toyota's corporate midsize platform, known internally as MC, which underpins the Camry as well as the Lexus RX. The RX currently is offered in both gas and hybrid variants.

The new hybrids from Toyota and Lexus are expected to be powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine mated to an electric motor.

The Lexus companion to the Prius will get unique sheet metal with distinctive Lexus styling cues. It will be equipped with more luxurious features and will likely be priced at more than $30,000, according to Japanese press reports.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126395

Last edited by Sens4Miles; 05-22-08 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 12:23 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles

The new hybrids from Toyota and Lexus are expected to be powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine mated to an electric motor.
humm, no whining yet about this....that's a good thing!

4 cyl in a Lexus?......oh the humanity!!!!
Old 05-22-08, 12:45 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bagwell

Looks like the car based on the Prius is going to essentially be a rebadge. I have no problems with that. As long as the shape of the body is more Lexus-like and the interior design is worthy of a Lexus.

Overall, I think a 50mpg Lexus sedan starting at a little over 30k is a great idea..

The CUV hybrid sounds interesting. There's been talk about them bringing out a CUV for awhile to compete with the X3, RDX, & EX and perhaps they've now decided to make it a dedicated hybrid. It won't be a high performer, but it may very beat the others in terms of sales.

Last edited by Sens4Miles; 05-22-08 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-22-08, 01:50 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I could see such a CUV being high performer. The 2.5L V6 is very efficient. There is no reason why such a vehicle couldn't weight 4000 lbs, put out 240 HP and still average 30 MPG. It might not be as powerful as an FX, but it could hold its own I think.
Old 05-22-08, 02:03 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

i'm concerned about the lexus prius ... are there any concept drawings around?

never mind, i found this pic and remembered we've already seen the concept, and i'm still concerned

Old 05-22-08, 02:10 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

All three models reportedly will be built on an updated version of Toyota's corporate midsize platform, known internally as MC, which underpins the Camry as well as the Lexus RX.

This is good. This is without a doubt the most widely used platform in the US and should help save costs.

So I guess the Lexus hybrids will have less power than the Camry hybrid, but better fuel economy.
Old 05-22-08, 02:12 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

At today's gas prices of $4.00, these things should sell well. If gas goes to $6.00 or so, these things should be sold out before launch.
Old 05-22-08, 02:41 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carguy101
So I guess the Lexus hybrids will have less power than the Camry hybrid, but better fuel economy.
Well the important point is that the new Prius/Lexus hybrid will have probably 50 more HP than the outgoing Prius. And if it can stay below 3000 lbs. that will make for some good acceleration. I wouldn't be upset though if Lexus sacraficed a 1 MPG and added 10 HP over the Prius just for showmanship.
Old 05-22-08, 03:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Just wait a day or two
Old 05-22-08, 06:27 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faymester

never mind, i found this pic and remembered we've already seen the concept, and i'm still concerned

to me that's UGLY. I don't think the final production version will be like that
Old 05-22-08, 07:05 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The Lexus "Prius" isn't supposed to look like the Prius at all. They've learned from GM's mistakes.
Old 05-23-08, 05:33 AM
LexFather

It is a HYBRID, not a stand alone 4-cylinder. Also Lexus doesn't depend on it to help increase sales.

Stop with the flame baiting.

Old 05-23-08, 12:22 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faymester

i seriously doubt the final product will look like that. we have learned from past experience that early renderings never closely resemble the real thing. but i sure hope the production version will look better than that.
Old 05-23-08, 12:41 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

So the Lexus version of the Prius won't be here until calendar year 2010?
Old 05-23-08, 08:55 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

I doubt Lexus will give its hybrid the different sort of styling the Prius gets. They have, in general, been making attractive designs (at least from the exterior).

Quick Reply: Lexus Mulls Two Dedicated Hybrid Vehicles