Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

24 Hours of Nürburgring this weekend **Live updates by CL members and a live stream**

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 10:45 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did a 350Z really finish that high? haha I guess whoever said endurance matters more than performance was right...
Old 05-26-08, 10:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Since Lexus hasn't confirmed any of this isn't it pretty "silly" to speculate?
But Toyota DID confirm that the LF-A was entered into this race for "development purposes". It would be common sense that Toyota was testing stock, or near-stock mechanicals on the car.

You're implying that since nothing is *officially* confirmed the production LF-A will be enough of a dramatic difference to render this speculation "silly", and that in itself is a silly notion.

Using common sense, the small amount of official information on the LF-A that we DO have from Toyota, and using consistently persistent rumours from Japan, then yes I stand by my speculation and I stand by the opinion that this race-spec LF-A was near-production stock, save for the temporary body and the race modifications that were necessary.

Toyota has *already* pretty much confirmed such things as the V10 engine, rear-mounted transmission, and also the carbon fiber torque tube. The rest of my speculation is supported by common sense, persistent rumours, and some general knowledge of supercars and mechanics.

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Did a 350Z really finish that high? haha I guess whoever said endurance matters more than performance was right...
The LF-A was pretty much running near-production stock, where as the other cars such as the S2000, 350Z, and other such cars seen finishing high up in the order were full-out RACE cars that have little to do with their production cousins. The '350Z' was only such in exterior, mechanically I will bet it was nothing like a stock 350Z.

If Toyota wanted to bring a RACE car to this event, they could have easily brought the Supra HV-R hybrid which likely would have done extremely well, but they did not.

The only meaningful reason to race the LF-A at this event was precisely to test the car in near-production specification.

Also, yes; in a 24 hour race, endurance matters more than performance, but both are important.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 05-26-08 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 07:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

TRD, I'm done debating with you since you criticize anyone else's speculation as 'silly' yet you speculate constantly.
Old 05-27-08, 07:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
TRD, I'm done debating with you since you criticize anyone else's speculation as 'silly' yet you speculate constantly.
You did not even bother to offer any explanation or insight as to why my speculation is 'silly'. You make these accusations and assumptions, yet don't back them up. I already explained to you where my speculation comes from.

Can you explain why you find my speculation 'silly'? Is it because you doubt the production car will be this serious and hardcore? Is it because you doubt that Toyota can go this far?
Old 05-27-08, 09:38 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
VERY interesting pics, from both Automobile Mag and Motor Authority.

A few things:

- V10 is confirmed pretty much
- the LF-A suspension system is not even CLOSE to ANY Lexus or Toyota production car ever built before.
- the suspension setup closely resembles that of a race car
- the rear end is F1-inspired, with at least some of the suspension links directly attached to the transmission.
- the underbody pic reveals more F1 inspiration, with the CF floorpan and aero fins.
- based on the engine bay pics, the car is definitely built on a space frame, likely aluminum but possibly using more exotic materials to keep weight super-low
- the engine is mounted very deep inside the engine bay, confirmed it's front mid-mounted.
- the engine heads do not look like they are of aluminum. The engine pics suggest rather exotic materials are being used.
- looking closely at the big mess of wiring and tubing in and around the engine, I predict the engine is a direct injection V10, with a dry sump lubrication system.
- on either side of the monster air intake setup, there are two tubes sticking straight up, that happen to correspond with the vents on the LF-A's hood.
- there is A LOT of chassis bracing in and around the car; vertical braces, horizontal braces, diagonal braces, you name it.
- there is a stark difference in the design philosophy of the LF-A compared to the GT-R.

Now, will the production LF-A be exactly the same as this race-spec unit was? Probably not, but expect it to be very similar and expect further refinements and improvements in a variety of areas.

My overall opinion of these new LF-A pics is one of surprise. The engine bay and underbody pics confirm that Toyota is dead serious about this project. IMHO, I've never seen such commitment from Toyota for a vehicle project since the 1st gen LS400, and we all know what a game changer that was.
Seems like reasonable assumptions to me. Just imagine that aluminum space frame (a common approach for limited production/light weight) combined with Carbon Fiber body panels all around. T'aint cheap but....

"weight is the enemy" - Colin Chapman
Old 05-27-08, 07:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Upon further observation, the two tubes sticking out on either side of the intake setup look to possibly be exhaust/inlet ducts. Such ducts would enhance combustion speed, and this would be similar to ducts used by the Ferrari Enzo's V12.