Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Finally: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Will Arrive in Showrooms in June

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 11:13 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR Will Arrive in Showrooms in June

At last! Mitsubishi says it will roll out the Lancer Evolution MR in U.S. showrooms in June.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR will get a new six-speed twin-clutch transmission.

CYPRESS, California — Mitsubishi announced on Wednesday that its highly anticipated Lancer Evolution MR will arrive in U.S. showrooms in June. This word finally dispels the vagueness in the timing of the Evo MR's release, said to be connected to delays in the advanced MR's tuning.

Mitsubishi has also moved beyond what it characterized as conservative estimates of the Evo MR's pricing. The top-of-the-line model will start at $38,940, including a $650 destination charge. Expect to pay $41,490, including shipping, for the Evo MR with the optional technology package. The previous Lancer Evo IX sedan started at $28,679 for the base car, and $35,189 for the MR trim.

Mitsubishi said the optional technology package includes a 30-GB hard drive navigation system with music server, a 650-watt Rockford Fosgate premium sound system, prepaid Sirius Satellite Radio capability and Fast Key entry, which allows passive vehicle unlocking and engine start/stop via a carried remote control and a sensor on the door handle.

The MR model gets Mitsubishi's new six-speed twin-clutch Sportronic shift transmission.

What this means to you: Now you finally know when to head to the Mitsubishi dealer to check out this coveted Evo X. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=126411#2
Old 05-23-08, 07:39 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

The only hope for the Evo X is the release of another RS version: lighter weight, 5speed box, and without ACD......
Old 05-24-08, 01:26 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's so expensive, people might just opt for a Lancer Ralliart and mod that.
Old 05-24-08, 07:54 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Holy moly.. thats too much for that kind of car! You can get so many other great vehicles for less..
Old 05-24-08, 09:32 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

This was confirmed by a salesman at my local Mitsubishi dealership yesterday. Now that I'm going to be in the midwest and want a year-round compromise car, I might be in line for one over the IS-F, tbh.
Old 06-01-08, 04:14 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

The first batch of MRs has been confirmed to be at port in LA awaiting release. So expect to start seeing them on the road this week, especially if you're in SoCal!
Old 06-01-08, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Holy moly.. thats too much for that kind of car! You can get so many other great vehicles for less..
Yes, including its own brother Lancer Ralliart, which, while not quite an Evo, is no slouch.

And while 38K might sound like a lot, it's right in line with loaded 2008 Subaru STIs. The Evo and STI are aimed at the same crowd, and the two of them, together, just about own that share of the market, with only very minor competition from other AWD pocket-rockets like the VW R32. So there is little incentive for either Subaru or Mitsubishi to cut prices.
Old 06-01-08, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Superb car surely but 40k? Ouch.

Old 06-01-08, 10:10 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

While $40k is certainly a lot to pay for a car that's ultimately still going to be a Mitsubishi, I think people have to keep in mind that the MR is the compromise version of the Evo X. For example, it has additional sound dampening compared to the GSR. There are also several premium features standard that are only available on the GSR as options. It does this to achieve mainstream appeal - notably, this is also something which could not be possible without the rather expensive TC-SST transmission, which can be driven as an automatic.

If you don't want these extra features (which, notably, also add weight - and the SST is harder to launch, making it slower off the line), you can always go back down to the base GSR. This is especially true if you want to tune it, since the MT should be more reliable at handling higher power (although it has been reported that the TC-SST is able to handle up to 450Nm, according to the manufacturer).

One more thing to keep in mind is that it's not like Mitsubishi is going to be able to sell these at MSRP, so there will be discounts to be had. I think most dealers right now would be happy to sell their ridiculously-overstocked GSRs at invoice - especially in this economy - and nothing is going to keep MRs from at least heading in that direction. Invoice on the tech-packaged MR is probably less than $37k, and I consider that a bargain for this vehicle.

I personally don't think there's any vehicle out there that can achieve what the MR does below its price point.
Old 06-02-08, 12:32 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
While $40k is certainly a lot to pay for a car that's ultimately still going to be a Mitsubishi, I think people have to keep in mind that the MR is the compromise version of the Evo X. For example, it has additional sound dampening compared to the GSR. There are also several premium features standard that are only available on the GSR as options. It does this to achieve mainstream appeal - notably, this is also something which could not be possible without the rather expensive TC-SST transmission, which can be driven as an automatic.

If you don't want these extra features (which, notably, also add weight - and the SST is harder to launch, making it slower off the line), you can always go back down to the base GSR. This is especially true if you want to tune it, since the MT should be more reliable at handling higher power (although it has been reported that the TC-SST is able to handle up to 450Nm, according to the manufacturer).

One more thing to keep in mind is that it's not like Mitsubishi is going to be able to sell these at MSRP, so there will be discounts to be had. I think most dealers right now would be happy to sell their ridiculously-overstocked GSRs at invoice - especially in this economy - and nothing is going to keep MRs from at least heading in that direction. Invoice on the tech-packaged MR is probably less than $37k, and I consider that a bargain for this vehicle.

I personally don't think there's any vehicle out there that can achieve what the MR does below its price point.
Very true.

The GTR, while badged a Nissan, has legendary performance figures that can lure people into it. While the EVO is also a great performance vehicle, it is not as out-of-this-world.

The GSRs, especially in CA, had heavy incentives starting from the early weeks of sales. I assume the MR will probably be the same, especially when its MPG is not impressive at all, and people need to get mortgages for gasoline.

I've considered an EVO X MR before, especially because of the SST. But like mmarshall and I mentioned earlier, the Lancer Ralliart is essentially an EVO 9 in an EVO X shell, plus SST, and will probably be 10k cheaper. We will just have to see.
Old 06-02-08, 01:39 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
The GSRs, especially in CA, had heavy incentives starting from the early weeks of sales. I assume the MR will probably be the same, especially when its MPG is not impressive at all, and people need to get mortgages for gasoline.
Actually, I just now read a salesman's post on an Evo forum saying he is already discounting the MRs - just have to call him and check what colors/option packages are available, as they already know exactly what they're going to get this week. He also said the delivery date will probably be the 5th (this Thursday), and that they'll continue to receive frequent shipments. They're obviously pushing hard to get these off the lot (probably because the GSRs got so backed up), so there are definitely deals to be had.

As I mentioned previously, I'm probably going to pick one of these up shortly.
Old 06-02-08, 02:08 PM
TruthTellr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
There is nothing better cheaper.