Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08 | 06:23 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
so what will be good sales for Genesis - 1k per month? 2k per month?
The yearly allocation for the Genesis is 35,000 for the domestic market and 20,000 for the overseas markets. Obviously, most of the 20,000 will be for the U.S.

So if the Genesis sells about 1,500 per month, it'll have met it's internal sales goal.
Old 05-31-08 | 01:45 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Really? I would.

I don't know what you're referring to as model-for-model, Infinitis cost just about the same as any comparable Lexus. We're talking maybe a difference of 1 or 2 thousand, depending on the model, but I doubt anyone is opting for an Infiniti over a Lexus because of its "value". Now, as far as someone choosing an Infiniti over a BMW, then yes, they are getting a much better value because they can essentially have just about the same handling, same or better features and a much nice interior for a lot less (not to mention better reliability).

The Genesis may take away from Acura sales as they are clearly a notch below Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, Benz, & Audi. I see the Genesis competing with cars from Buick, Chrysler, Acura, Lincoln, & Saab, and the Avalon & Maxima. That's about it.

I don't know how things are down in Atlanta, but up here in New York (especially long island), the streets are flooded with Infinitis. I see more G35s/G37s than I do Lexus ES350s or ISs. Of course, there are also tons of BMWs and MBs (not as much Audi). Brand & image are very important to many folks up here and I don't know of many people that think Infiniti has any less "badge power" than the others. You personally may feel differently however.
I would agree that Infiniti doesn't have the brand recognition Lexus, BMW or Mercedes do, but I certainly haven't had 5 of them in the past few years because of the "value". I've chosen them over Lexus because the M and the FX are much more fun to drive than the GS and RX. (Also, I would rather have the I-pod interface that came with my M than the cassette player that comes with the GS.)

Many Infiniti owners are loyal to that brand and are repeat customers because Infiniti makes great cars. I've had Lexuses. I've just chosen to go a different route this time because Infiniti hits my "sweet spot".

Re: The Genesis, we'll have to see. Doesn't do anything for me, and contrary to the predictions I'm certainly not going to dump my Infiniti for a Hyundai to save a few bucks.
Old 05-31-08 | 05:29 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
I would agree that Infiniti doesn't have the brand recognition Lexus, BMW or Mercedes do, but I certainly haven't had 5 of them in the past few years because of the "value". I've chosen them over Lexus because the M and the FX are much more fun to drive than the GS and RX. (Also, I would rather have the I-pod interface that came with my M than the cassette player that comes with the GS.)
Infiniti may not have the brand recognition, but with their latest G35/37 and the M35/45 those two cars IMHO are class leading. I wouldn't buy the F50 Q over an LS430 during its time, I wouldn't buy a Q56 over a Lexus SUV, but I would pick the new G35 and/or the M35/45 over almost anything in the class they are in. Those cars are great and IMHO better than the competition. Infiniti is one of the only brands I see headed in the right direction very quickly.
Old 05-31-08 | 07:30 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Yup, we were right a long time ago. Considering the Genesis is superior to the RL in many ways and on par in others, it REALLY makes the car (and some others) seem overpriced now.

With the dollar dropping though, car companies can't afford to drop prices. We should see price increases as a matter of fact.

Like I said, I didn't think we were geniuses back then, just aware consumers. I liked the RL and to tell you the truth, I really like it now but they never recovered.

I agree with bit that in comparo's in the mid or bottom of the pack but in all honesty, the Asian imports still don't do it as well as the Europeans. Sacriliege I know but I am talking about being a driver's car. Not saying they can't, they just don't to any significant degree. But if Hyundai learns and can keep the pencil sharp, I'm all for them.
Old 05-31-08 | 09:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carguy101
The yearly allocation for the Genesis is 35,000 for the domestic market and 20,000 for the overseas markets. Obviously, most of the 20,000 will be for the U.S.

So if the Genesis sells about 1,500 per month, it'll have met it's internal sales goal.
If the Genesis sells only 1500 a month, that would equate to only 18,000 a year. Even if that is Hyundai's internal goal, it's largely irrelevant as sales numbers like that will mean the Genesis is a market failure.

Considering the competition of the Genesis, all of Hyundai's hype regarding the Genesis, and the ambitious marketing campaign Hyundai is planning in the US, I think that 1,500 per month will be quite dissapointing yet not really surprising.
Old 06-01-08 | 01:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

looking at spec sheet - obviously steering wheel is both tilt and telescopic - it only says tilt on the sheet? Surely that has to be an mistake...
Old 06-01-08 | 08:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dseag2

Many Infiniti owners are loyal to that brand and are repeat customers because Infiniti makes great cars. I've had Lexuses. I've just chosen to go a different route this time because Infiniti hits my "sweet spot".

Re: The Genesis, we'll have to see. Doesn't do anything for me, and contrary to the predictions I'm certainly not going to dump my Infiniti for a Hyundai to save a few bucks.
Thanks for chiming in. I do greatly disagree with the Infiniti loyalty part as they are near the lowest with customer retention, these last 3 years there has been minimal improvement.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=retention
2006 Make Retention Rates

Toyota 63.9%
Lexus 63.2%
Honda 60.3%
BMW 56.5%
Scion 56.3%
Cadillac 55.5%
Chevrolet 55.3%
Mercedes-Benz 53.6%
Ford 53.3%
Hyundai 51.6%
Subaru 51.1%
Nissan 48.8%
Industry Average 47.9%
Porsche 46.5%
HUMMER 44.5%
Suzuki 43.9%
Kia 42.8%
GMC 41.4%
Land Rover 41.2%
Jeep 40.5%
Saturn 40.4%
Dodge 40.1%
Buick 39.9%
Chrysler 38.2%
Acura 37.6%
Lincoln 37.3%
Audi 35.6%
Volkswagen 35.5%
Volvo 35.5%
Saab 33.4%
MINI 32.4%
Mercury 31.9%
Mitsubishi 30.5%
Jaguar 29.8%
Infiniti 29.0%
Pontiac 27.8%
Mazda 26.8%
Isuzu 4.7%

Old 06-01-08 | 09:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If the Genesis sells only 1500 a month, that would equate to only 18,000 a year. Even if that is Hyundai's internal goal, it's largely irrelevant as sales numbers like that will mean the Genesis is a market failure.

Considering the competition of the Genesis, all of Hyundai's hype regarding the Genesis, and the ambitious marketing campaign Hyundai is planning in the US, I think that 1,500 per month will be quite dissapointing yet not really surprising.
well, Genesis could outsell 7 series... One of the cars that their marketing campaign will target :P
Old 06-01-08 | 10:23 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, Genesis could outsell 7 series... One of the cars that their marketing campaign will target :P
I doubt they would steal their customers though..... they'd probably just bring in new customers who wouldn't or couldn't buy one b/c of price
Old 06-01-08 | 01:08 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Every single day there is a new potential luxury car buyer that just became capable. So, while the Genesis may not steal aways loyal customers of other luxury brands right now or in the future, they still may get their fair share of the luxury car buyers market. I'm partial to Lexus, BMW, and Infiniti. However, I would buy the Genesis myself if it pans out to be the right car.
Old 06-01-08 | 04:26 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Every single day there is a new potential luxury car buyer that just became capable. So, while the Genesis may not steal aways loyal customers of other luxury brands right now or in the future, they still may get their fair share of the luxury car buyers market. I'm partial to Lexus, BMW, and Infiniti. However, I would buy the Genesis myself if it pans out to be the right car.
It's also worth keeping mind that the sun no longer rises and sets in the US for determining the success of a car. The Genesis could be even more attractive in countries developing their middle class.
Old 06-01-08 | 04:47 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
It's also worth keeping mind that the sun no longer rises and sets in the US for determining the success of a car. The Genesis could be even more attractive in countries developing their middle class.
the largest middle class growth is occurring in China... and they prefer designer brands and the big names... I doubt most would turn to Hyundai
Old 06-01-08 | 05:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by darkdream
the largest middle class growth is occurring in China... and they prefer designer brands and the big names... I doubt most would turn to Hyundai
True, while Lexus is enjoying considerable success in China, Acura is struggling with the TL there.

Top 10 Most Unpopular Cars in China (with sales figure during first half of 2007):

1. Acura TL: Less than 200
2. Mitsubishi Galant: 4,062
3. Fiat Perla: around 2,000
4. Kia Rio: 4,996
5. FAW Vitz: 904
6. Suzuki Liana: 5,416.
Old 06-02-08 | 10:04 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Hyundai is making a mistake by not making an AWD version available. On the east coast, I'd bet that 50% of the V6 GS's and M's are AWD.
Old 06-02-08 | 02:28 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

If anybody has it, could someone post the pic of the Genesis logo/emblem? I remember seeing it in the last Genesis thread but I can't find it. I also remember it being removed from US version of the Genesis.

Quick Reply: MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis