Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 08:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the genesis might be able to take away some sales from infiniti....... if the buyer needs the space on a budget.

the genesis will def be cross shopped with nissan's flagship.

New york is weird. There are more Nissans and infinitis than lex/toyos.
Why is that? Even dogs and cats drive altimas.
The running joke I've read on VWVortex might help explain it

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=guido

Its perception, Lexus has sold over 4.5 million cars here compared to barely 1 million Infinitis.

Old 05-26-08, 10:23 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
If I wanted to buy a BMW knock-off, I'd get an Infiniti...
Yeah Phil but don't forget Lexus had its days as well. Late 80's early 90's it was the same chapter but only with a name change.
Old 05-26-08, 08:06 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
If I wanted to buy a BMW knock-off, I'd get an Infiniti...
Does that make Lexus a Mercedes Benz knock-off?

Back to the subject: Hyundai really tries too hard with its "Its cheaper than _________ and is less than ________ the price" marketing. They are not going to be taken too seriously in the Luxury market if they keep on doing that type of marketing.

Old 05-26-08, 08:21 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I would not bunch Infiniti in that catagory.
Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Really? I would.
Trust me, give it up. He's one of the few who will forever deny Infiniti's progress/success in the luxury market. Every Infiniti thread will prove that point

Car reviews always seem to bunch them together. That says alot.

Last edited by S8B; 05-26-08 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 12:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by skater
Trust me, give it up. He's one of the few who will forever deny Infiniti's progress/success in the luxury market. Every Infiniti thread will prove that point

Yes b/c Car reviews= all reality. You're one of the "few" who come here and only post in Nissan threads.

If you would actually READ what I say instead of getting mad and posting ridiculous crap, you would CLEARLY see I know Infiniti has made tons of progress. Only a moron would NOT see that today. Funny but you and your cronies NEVER quote or agree anytime I give the brand props. God forbid I say a FACT that you may not like, like the M35/45 is FM based.

Its not like the competition has stood still and they continue to have misses with the QX and looking at early EX sales.

I strongly suggest staying on topic and not try to call people out b/c it is ultimately futile.

Basic examples are like this, Lexus used in popular culture to describe things, "Lexus like". You never hear "infiniti like".
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=357545
Little things like that along with big things stick with people, which helps my point on why the Genesis would be cross shopped more with lesser known brands than luxury powerhouses.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-27-08 at 12:09 AM.

Old 05-27-08, 01:03 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

If you would actually READ what I say instead of getting mad and posting ridiculous crap, you would CLEARLY see I know Infiniti has made tons of progress. Only a moron would NOT see that today.
The only comical thing I have heard here is the fact that based on your implications, you would rather group Infiniti along with Saab/Lincoln/Hyundai than you would with BMW/Lexus/Mercedes. Trust me, im not getting mad or worked up here. You're just one opinion of the millions out there

Funny but you and your cronies NEVER quote or agree anytime I give the brand props. God forbid I say a FACT that you may not like, like the M35/45 is FM based.
I think any Nissan/Infiniti enthusiast would know that most of the Infiniti line-up is based on the FM platform. And how exactly would that be a bad thing? I'm sure you agree that the FM platform is an excellent platform for a Luxury Sports vehicle.

Its not like the competition has stood still and they continue to have misses with the QX and looking at early EX sales.
QX is a failure. I'm sure Infiniti will learn from the Q45/QX56 mistake.

Basic examples are like this, Lexus used in popular culture to describe things, "Lexus like". You never hear "infiniti like".
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=357545
Little things like that along with big things stick with people, which helps my point on why the Genesis would be cross shopped more with lesser known brands than luxury powerhouses.
Without a doubt Lexus is a more established Luxury brand in the views of the general public since Infiniti just crawled out of their hole. But you're underestimating their appearance.

I think it says alot that Hyundai based their inspiration of the Genesis Coupe on the Infiniti G37 Coupe. They understand the impact Infiniti gave to the Luxury Sports market with the G line-up.
Old 05-27-08, 02:28 PM
LexFather

It is clear the Genesis sedan and coupe have Infiniti styling cues, I actually prefer the Hyundai coupe, looks a lot more aggresive to me. The G37 interior blows the coupe away though.

You said it right, my opinion is one of millions that agree with me

Old 05-27-08, 02:47 PM
Raph TT
Pole Position

no way in hell hyundai could offer a better luxery car than the competion,im a GM/E service tech(OPEL), a Master Tech and we fix Hyundais at work too(always drawing straws for those jobs)as our dealership also sells those (to attract more customers..it working lol)korean rust buckets

Hyundais have absolutley NO long term quality .. not even the grandeur (sentinnel? in the US?) has impressed me, you can smell the cheap materials the minute you get in one of those cars..if you buy a hyundai..its best to trade it in after 3 years(trade in sucks,hyundais age rapidly)

At least the Hyundai customers in germany arent very picky (compared to BMW/Audi,MB and even Opel/vw customers..as those cars (and Lexuses) are expensive compared to a Hyundai..so they have every right to expect a noise,rattle free,and neutral(Luxurious)smelling car.)

i Myself am glad to see Hyundais top of the range SUV (terracan-abbominable qaulity,leaking diffs,smelly plastics,AWD issues etc etc))finally go ..leaving the Santa Fe as the only SUV ..

New Hyundais greet their owners with rusty bolts/clamps under the hood and on the underbody.. looks like Hyundai uses alot of cheap recycled Chinese Steel in their cars. ..i will never recommend a Hyundai to anyone.

Good point : Hyundais keep the Shop filled and the spares /service parts are expensive - lots of warranty work going on too :-)

My $0.02

People need to see what theyre paying for.. i would rather spend the extra 10000 for a decent german car(or japanese lexus ) .

Look at a new Santa Fes/Tibby/Sonata/Grandeurs paint job..thats how new cars are supposed to be painted??? WTF?

Edit:the genesis should sell like Maximized Menus at Mcdonalds..more car for less money LOL yummee

Most people in the markets this car is intended for are blinded by the "look how much u get for soo little" factor.

the genesis is autobahn tested? you can drive a 15 year old bmw for hours at topspeed on the Autobahn..
weve had tons of AWD system and Tranny Failures on Hyundai SUVs (who thought their crap can hang on the bahn like Toaregs) because of overheated trannies..go figure..

Last edited by Raph TT; 05-27-08 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 02:50 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Without a doubt Lexus is a more established Luxury brand in the views of the general public since Infiniti just crawled out of their hole. But you're underestimating their appearance.

I think it says alot that Hyundai based their inspiration of the Genesis Coupe on the Infiniti G37 Coupe. They understand the impact Infiniti gave to the Luxury Sports market with the G line-up.
Infiniti is right at the heels of Lexus, BMW, & Benz. They really just need a full size flagship to compete with the LS, S, & 7 series. No one can deny the success of the G37/G35 or M35/45 and the impact they've had on the industry. They already outsell Audi in this country (even though Audi has been well established years and years before Infiniti was even a thought). If I were them, I would put out a new flagship (with a new name), a smaller more compact sedan, and replace the QX56 with a slightly smaller 7 person capacity crossover. That's it. they're there, they just need a couple more models to round off their lineup. Of course, an M coupe would also be a good idea and an Infiniti variant of the GT-R would be the icing on the cake.
Old 05-27-08, 05:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Infiniti is right at the heels of Lexus, BMW, & Benz. They really just need a full size flagship to compete with the LS, S, & 7 series. No one can deny the success of the G37/G35 or M35/45 and the impact they've had on the industry. They already outsell Audi in this country (even though Audi has been well established years and years before Infiniti was even a thought). If I were them, I would put out a new flagship (with a new name), a smaller more compact sedan, and replace the QX56 with a slightly smaller 7 person capacity crossover. That's it. they're there, they just need a couple more models to round off their lineup. Of course, an M coupe would also be a good idea and an Infiniti variant of the GT-R would be the icing on the cake.
lol

Hyundai to spend $80 Million on US marketing campaign for Genesis

Hyundai spends like never before to launch Genesis luxury sedan

Kathy Jackson
Automotive News
May 26, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

SEOUL — Hyundai will spend $80 million on a marketing campaign for its new Genesis luxury sedan — by far the most the automaker has spent to launch a vehicle in the United States.

Hyundai expects to sell only about 30,000 units of the rear-drive Genesis annually in the United States. But executives think the car, which will be priced between $30,000 and $40,000 and offered with both V-8 and V-6 engines, will help draw customers to Hyundai dealerships.

"Genesis will help sell all Hyundai vehicles," said Joel Ewanick, vice president of marketing for Hyundai Motor America.

The brand halo is needed, added Kim Dong-Jin, CEO of Hyundai Motor Co., in an interview this month. Kim said the Hyundai brand name remains weak in the United States.

Ewanick said Hyundai spent $4 million on Genesis commercials during the 2008 Super Bowl. A 15-city ride and drive is planned for summer. The company will provide 100 cars for the event, which is expected to reach 150,000 Hyundai and non-Hyundai owners.

"This car will allow us to reach new customers and talk up quality like we never have," Ewanick said. "They've given us enough resources, and we will spend the money over a short period of time — over the summer. We have to make every cent count. We will be talking to a broad audience to use this as a brand lift."

He said about half of the budget will go toward TV. Internet and grass-roots marketing will make up a big portion of the budget.

Ewanick said dealers have presold 700 units of the Genesis, and have more than 20,000 consumers who have expressed interest in the car.

Old 05-27-08, 06:04 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Believe me, I'm aware

Of course they do. Why wouldn't they?
Some "enthusiasts" may like to believe and try to convince others that Infiniti's models are Tier 2 and compete more with offerings from Buick, Lincoln, Acura, & Saab than BMW, Lexus, & Benz, but anyone who knows anything about luxury cars should know better.
Old 05-27-08, 07:48 PM
timer00
Pole Position

I just read Edmunds Full Test also and am impressed. Sounds like a awesome first entry into the market for them.
Old 05-27-08, 07:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by timer00
I just read Edmunds Full Test also and am impressed. Sounds like a awesome first entry into the market for them.
I love this car.

Old 05-27-08, 08:24 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would be a nice candidate for VIP
Old 05-28-08, 04:10 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I know that I still seem like the only skeptic of this car, but I have to say that I am still not completely impressed.

As I have noted all along, the shape and details of this car leave so much to be desired at this price point. It looks terribly, painstakingly bland and cheap from the outside. The Mazda 3 and other economy cars manage to be significantly better looking.

Also, as for this first drive, it sounds like great competition for the Avalon and Taurus. More positioned towards comfort than sport, big interior, and nice features.

I really feel like this is Hyundai's answer to the G8 and Avalon (probably splitting the difference between the two), more than a real competitor to the GS, 5, and E.

Lacks the visual punch and driving character, IMO.
painstakingly bland and cheap? Interesting observation. Could you possibly point out, what it is, exactly, that looks cheap? I see *nothing* cheap about this car at all. I think most people in this thread would agree. I think it has a very high element of class to it. I only wish the new Accord were this nice looking.

Quick Reply: MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis