Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 05:22 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Some (not you particularly) always like to suggest that luxury cars need to be sold under luxury brands. However, the Genesis, which is priced like a luxury car is being sold by an economy brand. How is that acceptable for Hyundai yet no one thinks its acceptable for any of the other economy brands to do the same?

If Hyundai was serious about entering the luxury car market, they should have established a luxury division. IMO, this is a half hearted attempt to try to take away sales from Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, & even Benz. It will not work in this country. They could have started up a new brand (hell, call the brand "Genesis") and have 2 models to start with (the sedan and the coupe). Sell them along side existing Hyundai dealerships and take it from there.

If this vehicle flops, it may hurt Hyundai's chances of ever entering the luxury market again. Acura can't even give away the RL. How is Hyundai going to be successful at selling a 35-40k+ plus luxury car?
So you hate the Genesis because Hyundai didn't "create" a brand to sell it under?
Old 05-28-08, 05:23 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As great as this car may be, I think a lot of people who have $35K to spend will consider other options before the Genesis.

Hyundai has come a long way in the last 10 years, but it still has a bit further to go if you ask me. People have a strong memory for branding. They may have a great attempt at the luxury market, but most of the time, luxury is synonymous with brand recognition.

The Genesis looks good, but it doesn't look outstanding. I don't think it will draw enough buyers to be called a success. Value & Luxury are two things very hard to pull off.

Lexus got it right in 1990 with the LS400. It delivered an outstanding car that was MUCH better than its German counterparts and offered it for a lot less. The styling was also the final knock-out punch.
Old 05-28-08, 05:32 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RON430
So you hate the Genesis because Hyundai didn't "create" a brand to sell it under?
I don't hate it, but yes they made a mistake not creating a new luxury division for it. You can't enter the luxury market and not even offer value as an option to those who could choose an Infiniti, Lexus, or Benz instead. This thing is more expensive than the G35, IS, ES, & C Class.
Old 05-28-08, 05:57 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I don't hate it, but yes they made a mistake not creating a new luxury division for it. You can't enter the luxury market and not even offer value as an option to those who could choose an Infiniti, Lexus, or Benz instead. This thing is more expensive than the G35, IS, ES, & C Class.
So you will go look at it, when it is out there, and if it offers more value than those you mention, you would consider buying it?
Old 05-28-08, 06:02 PM
rg_gibson
Driver

WOW there is a lot arguing on this one but besides the point that Infiniti may not be on the same tier as MB/BMW/Lexus, the guy from NYC is right, Hyundai should have created a separate brand. I don't care how well built, engineered, and priced this thing is, is not going to be a MAJOR success here in the U.S. I'm not saying that it won't sell but I am saying that it will not be the next Lexus. I dunno how many of you every did your research on the beginnings of Lexus but Toyota did extensive research and realized that Americans are brand *****s so they knew in order to be successful, they would definitely have to create a separate brand to succeed. Voi-lá we have success. Hyundai should have learned a lesson for VW with the Phaeton, Americans are not going to wanna buy a $40k car in the same dealership that sells a $13k car.
Old 05-28-08, 06:42 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never buy a Hyundai plain and simple... but I can see why someone with a really tight budget might...otherwise I don't know why someone would buy one over something with a better reputation for a little bit more money... A hyundai will always be a hyundai regardless of matter how many gadgets and crap they throw into it...
Old 05-28-08, 07:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

we're all brand *****.

but the people who would spend money on a Genesis are the same that buy a sonata over a camry.

the genesis has to be cheaper than its competition, apples for apples. it needs to undercut.
Old 05-28-08, 07:38 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
we're all brand *****.
Well, if there was any doubt, just read the preceding few posts. We really are an amazing life form after we lost that warm furry coat which doesn't appear to have been that long ago. Being fair, there are probably just as many people who will never buy a Hyundai because of the name that are really PO'd that BMW is making a 1 series, MB has the A class, Audi has the A3, etc. Brand ***** about sums it up.
Old 05-28-08, 09:34 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack

like the dude above said... $33000 starting price, with no leather.
that's pushing it. but i expect them to discount heavily.
It does have leather.
Old 05-28-08, 09:42 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

To compare, the Genesis V6 is $12,000 less than a GS350, and $19,000 less than an E350.

The Genesis V8 is $16,000 less than a GS460 and $23,000 less than a E550.
Old 05-28-08, 09:47 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

I'm thinking that by the end of 2008, you could get a Genesis V6 with Navi for $30,000 street price. Considering that the street price of a Camry V6 with Navi is $29,000, the Genesis will seem like a pretty good deal.
Old 05-28-08, 10:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

If you bought a Lexus in the early 90s, tons of people with Benzes, BMWs, etc. still thought the Lexus was 'pleasant' and good value for money, but not a real luxury brand. They didn't take it seriously.

Well here we are, almost 20 years later, and Hyundai is changing the game and now that Lexus is established, many Lexus and other luxury brand owners will see the Hyundai as pleasant and maybe good value for money, but not a real luxury brand. They're not taking it seriously.
Old 05-28-08, 11:25 PM
LexFather

Look some of you need to browse

You don't wake up one day and decide "hey, lets debut a luxury brand tomorrow" unless you want to fail. Lexus spent billions in the 1980s to launch nearly perfect. Their flaw was perfect in how they fixed it with the early LS recall. They did much more research than Nissan/Honda did and it shows to this day.

You simply DO NOT just MAKE a luxury brand. You have to have a SERIOUS business case for it, as a new luxury brand created today would cost BILLIONS of dollars.

Guess what, that means DELAYING the cars that would debut under than brand. You have to find dealers, you have to build them, recruit employees, create an entire culture around this new brand.

Case in paint, Mazda wanted to create a luxury brand named "Amati" to join the luxury world in the 1990s. The Mazda Millinia was created to be the first car under that brand but they simply did not have the CASH to create it.

I do agree, it would be BETTER for the Genesis to have a luxury brand but it does not. We already have tons of luxury brands for one and some really are not even full luxury brands, with no flagships, more SUVs than cars, no RWD cars, no V-8s, brands bought by Americans, sold by Americans, some have lost billions for over a decade, etc etc. SO its not like BADGING a car a luxury car makes you a luxury car 100%. Some of you are smitten by these 1/2 luxury brands but the honest truth is as a whole, they are lackluster. A luxury badge does not mean instant, 100% success.

Old 05-28-08, 11:34 PM
LexFather

#1 - Nissan is an established brand and the Altima is an established model
#2 - $32k loaded is much different than $33k starting. How much will a loaded V6 Genesis cost? $36k? $37k?
#3 - see #1 and #2

Well according to your statements in other threads, badge is very very important in this class. I recall you stating on several occasions that people buy BMW simply on badge alone and buyers in this price point care more about brand prestige than the merits of each car.

So, going by your logic, $38 is ludicrous for a "Hyundai". And that's just the starting price. What about a loaded Genesis? Who in their right mind is going to pick a loaded 40k+ Hyundai over a G35, ES350, 3 Series, or C Class?
Look you can like NIssan but a 32k Altima is just ridiculous, RIDICULOUS. It can be an established brand, only a dumbass pays 32k for an Altima.

A Genesis> any Altima. Read the recent reviews. It has features and an interior the Altima would die for. Not to mention RWD. If anything the new Maxima looks VERY good and is Genesis competition.

As for the price of the Genesis, I am not disagreeing with you. Badge is VERY important. Badge also does not mean success. This Genesis without a luxury brand seems to be as impressive as the Phaeton for 30k less.

You continue to bunch Infiniti with the big dogs. People will have an EASIER TIME picking a Genesis over an Infiniti. People will have a HARDER TIME picking a Genesis over a Lexus/BMW/Benz. Lexus is the ONLY Japanese brand priced as much or more than the Germans in some cases and people continue to purchase it. Then Lexus does not subsidize leases as aggressive as BMW or Infiniti, who's lease deals are CHEAPER than buying a Hyundai. That is a real luxurious way to sell a vehicle supposedly in demand.

There of course will be people who simply will continue to laugh at this car no matter what is offers or the price and prefer their top luxury brands or any luxury brand. "Its still a Hyundai". Oh, I've seen people post that idiocy and they will continue to post it.

You do realize this Genesis makes a mockery of some entire brands and some cars in top brands lineups. It is quite incredible.

Old 05-28-08, 11:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bruce van
As great as this car may be, I think a lot of people who have $35K to spend will consider other options before the Genesis.

Hyundai has come a long way in the last 10 years, but it still has a bit further to go if you ask me. People have a strong memory for branding. They may have a great attempt at the luxury market, but most of the time, luxury is synonymous with brand recognition.

The Genesis looks good, but it doesn't look outstanding. I don't think it will draw enough buyers to be called a success. Value & Luxury are two things very hard to pull off.

Lexus got it right in 1990 with the LS400. It delivered an outstanding car that was MUCH better than its German counterparts and offered it for a lot less. The styling was also the final knock-out punch.
I think 40k is the key here, they really don't need to top that price. Also how will Hyundai lease this car.

80 million will be spent on advertising. We shall see will it work!

Quick Reply: MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis