Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 11:39 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just PRAY that Hyundai doesn't use that bullpoopie marketing they did with their SUVs, comparing it to the Land Rover LR3 about how their SUV had more cupholders and more seats standard so thus was a superior vehicle...
Old 05-29-08, 12:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rg_gibson
WOW there is a lot arguing on this one but besides the point that Infiniti may not be on the same tier as MB/BMW/Lexus, the guy from NYC is right, Hyundai should have created a separate brand. I don't care how well built, engineered, and priced this thing is, is not going to be a MAJOR success here in the U.S. I'm not saying that it won't sell but I am saying that it will not be the next Lexus. I dunno how many of you every did your research on the beginnings of Lexus but Toyota did extensive research and realized that Americans are brand *****s so they knew in order to be successful, they would definitely have to create a separate brand to succeed. Voi-lá we have success. Hyundai should have learned a lesson for VW with the Phaeton, Americans are not going to wanna buy a $40k car in the same dealership that sells a $13k car.
problem is that, according to all articles, even positive ones, it is not really built as an luxury car. Things like unfinished trunk are more like Yaris territory...

and it is not really built as an sports car with performance numbers nothing special in every department.

So if you buy 40k Hyundai you are buying it because.... you want "prestige" of owning V8 RWD car? Which is an Hyundai? :-).

Things dont compute... sucks I know.
Old 05-29-08, 03:30 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
So you will go look at it, when it is out there, and if it offers more value than those you mention, you would consider buying it?
No, because it doesn't offer more value over the competition.
Let's compare a base price Hyundai Genesis to some other cars.

Base Price:

Hyundai Genesis - $33,000
Lexus IS - $31,000
Lexus ES - $34,000
Infiniti G35 - $32,000
Mercedes C Class - $32,500
BMW 3 Series - $32,500
Acura TL - $33,500
Cadillac CTS - $34,000
Toyota Avalon Limited - $34,500

The base price of the Genesis is just not competitive enough to take away any sales from the other models listed above. They should have put a base price of $28,000 or something along those lines and really offered a bargain to those "value shoppers" looking for all those luxury features, but at a more affordable price. It should have started at no more than $29,999. But $33k is no bargain whatsoever. Hyundai is attempting to just jump right into the luxury game and expect people to shell out that kinda dough when they have absolutely zero reputation for putting out a luxury vehicle or any long term reliable vehicle in general. All of the other cars listed above are luxury branded (except the Avalon) and all are well established models within the industry. I can't see how anyone would elect to buy a Genesis over an Infiniti G35, Lexus ES350, or even an Avalon.

I have $35k to spend on a new luxury car and I can get either a Mercedes Benz or a Hyundai. Hmm, tough decision. What to do, what to do

Last edited by Sens4Miles; 05-29-08 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-29-08, 05:46 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Look you can like NIssan but a 32k Altima is just ridiculous, RIDICULOUS. It can be an established brand, only a dumbass pays 32k for an Altima.
A loaded Camry is also $32,000.
Old 05-29-08, 06:02 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

I am looking forward to test driving this sedan although a loaded
v8 will exceed 40k which is somewhat concerning. Understanding that in terms of bang for your buck this sedan is well worth it however its hard for me to justify paying 45k for a Hyundai

As one of the first to discuss this sedan and seeing one in person last year I truly am a fan and definitely not caught up in "brands"... however I feel like I am tugged in mulitple directions when hitting that 40-45k mark.... The v6 option in the low to mid 30's seems like a more viable option for my family and I.

BTW.... will someone post the pics of the Genesis with some rims and a drop again to sway my buying decision..... Its a damn good looking sedan with a gorgeous interior.
Old 05-29-08, 08:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carguy101
A loaded Camry is also $32,000.
Why did you bring this up? B/C you think I am going to defend it? I am a fan of what Toyota has done as a whole as a company but their lineup outside of hybrids totally disinterests me. So you can apply that dumbass comment to the Camry/Accord/whatever in this class too.

I believe I've loaded a Camry to over 34k online and I lol!!!

Back to the Genesis I think the pricing and the car you get is very competitive. It also has good size as well. Hyundai quality/reliability have skyrocketed in recent years.

Now of course, dealerships will be an issue. For the most part Hyundai has sold cars to people with bad credit or bad situations who need a car. This has changed some in recent years but Hyundai dealerships IMO are pretty low on the totem pole. Now out of nowhere, BLAM a credible luxury car.

It will be very interesting to see how this car does in the future!

Old 05-29-08, 09:23 AM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Let's not get too excited about the MSRP. With Hyundai, you can expect big discounts off MSRP.

After a few months, you could probably pick up a brand new Genesis V8 for $33,000 street price. Think about that.
Old 05-29-08, 09:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes, Hyundai is always offering cash back/rebates on their other upscale models (Azera, Vera Cruz), so they will probably do the same with Genesis if history is any indication..
Old 05-29-08, 09:33 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles

Base Price:

Lexus IS - $31,000
Lexus ES - $34,000
Infiniti G35 - $32,000
BMW 3 Series - $32,500
Acura TL - $33,500
Cadillac CTS - $34,000

The base price of the Genesis is just not competitive enough to take away any sales from the other models listed above. They should have put a base price of $28,000 or something along those lines and really offered a bargain to those "value shoppers" looking for all those luxury features, but at a more affordable price. It should have started at no more than $29,999. But $33k is no bargain whatsoever. Hyundai is attempting to just jump right into the luxury game and expect people to shell out that kinda dough when they have absolutely zero reputation for putting out a luxury vehicle or any long term reliable vehicle in general. All of the other cars listed above are luxury branded (except the Avalon) and all are well established models within the industry. I can't see how anyone would elect to buy a Genesis over an Infiniti G35, Lexus ES350, or even an Avalon.

I have $35k to spend on a new luxury car and I can get either a Mercedes Benz or a Hyundai. Hmm, tough decision. What to do, what to do
Well said

So this grill is the final one???

I saw one running around with a different grill and it looks alot better than this one.

Remember this chop???

Last edited by GS3Tek; 05-29-08 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-29-08, 10:30 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

That's what I thought.
Old 05-29-08, 10:35 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I won't give final comment until I sample the car for myself, but perhaps the American team should have left the suspension alone. Many buyers of this type of a car, like with the XG300/350 and Azera, WANT a cushy ride. Hyundai has dome extremely well lately with not-so-stiff vehicles (Tiburon excepted). Why mess them up now?
Agreed - I totally did not understand why they would mess with the suspension settings in this vehicle.
Old 05-29-08, 02:00 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Base Price:

Lexus IS - $31,000
Lexus ES - $34,000
Infiniti G35 - $32,000
BMW 3 Series - $32,500
Acura TL - $33,500
Cadillac CTS - $34,000
All these cars you listed aren't even in the same size class as the Genesis. You're forgetting that the genesis is bigger than the E Class, bigger than the Infiniti M, bigger than the IS, bigger than the ES, bigger than the GS, and even bigger than the Avalon.

Other than these mid/compact sedans you listed are there any "full size" models that you can think of that the genesis would compete with? And, if so, would they be a better value? Can you think of *any* car that offers what the genesis offers for less? Do you know what *value* means?
Old 05-29-08, 02:08 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

So the pricing is finally out...and it's not the $28,000 bargain that everyone had been expecting.

Hmmmmm

Now that the numbers have been released, I think that there is little room to deny that the Genesis isn't the luxury revolution that many of you had been raving about. That said, I do not think that it's a bad car...in fact the reviews indicate that it is anything but. However, that doesn't mean the car will be an automatic success or that it is the right car for Hyundai to sell right now.

Let's consider a few things...

1. The Competition For the $36 or 37K that a nicely equipped Genesis V6 is going to cost, you can also get a similarly optioned ES 350, CTS, or TL, and for a few grand less you can also have an option-laden Avalon Limited, Lucerne, or Chrysler 300C.

2. Prestige Let's also not forget that the Lexus, Acura, and Cadillac come with a level of service far and above the Hyundai with loaner cars, customer lounges, finer clientele, food and beverage, and nicer facilities. Important things to keep in mind.

3. Brand Image Toyota sells a $65,000 Land Cruiser, Chevrolet a $60,000 Corvette, Nissan a $70,000 GT-R, and Ford a $120,000 GT. Granted these cars cost twice the Genesis, but they are also icons and have a long, rich history that people buy into more than just the brand itself. Hyundai's own history has shown that much past the $25,000 mark...there isn't a huge market for their product. Azeras and Vera Cruz's haven't sold like they had planned...and if history is right an even more expensive Genesis won't be flying off lots either.

Let's also consider how many $48,000 RX 350s Lexus sells in the face of the larger, cheaper and comparable Toyota Highlander, Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, Honda Pilot, etc. Same can be said for the entire entry level luxury or even midsize luxury class which has a good bit of overlap with some mainstream branded models. Don't fool yourselves...over $30K or so people know that they can get into a premium branded ride and the sales numbers show that more than a few customers are willing to fork over the extra change to do so.

THE VERDICT(IMO): The Genesis is simply another good entry into a class filled with models ranging from the Toyota Avalon to the Cadillac CTS, or the Lexus ES 350 and Chrysler 300C. It's not going to change the game, rewrite the rule book, or break any records, but it's a solid entry from Hyundai into previously unchartered territory.
Old 05-29-08, 02:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

The Bottom Line
But that’s the rub with the Genesis. The Genesis is a good car that gets nearly to “luxury” levels. But it’s lacking the fit, finish and quality control one expects from the leaders in the segment. Considering we’re even comparing this Hyundai with the leaders like BMW and Lexus, that says a lot. We suspect Hyundai will reach those same levels in due time.

For now, a much better Genesis matchup would be with the sub-luxury American rear-wheel-drive sedans from Chrysler and Pontiac, or the FWD offerings from Buick and Ford. At just under $30,000, the Genesis hits right at the pricing sweet spot for those sedans, and provides significantly more features for the price. Why should someone buy a Buick when they can get twice the luxury at the same price?
From popular mechanics.... nobody told them it starts at 33k :-).
Old 05-29-08, 02:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I tend to agree with the insightful post from MPLexus301.

For a couple of years, Azera has offered a lot of features and big warranty for the price vs. other models in its competitive set.

How does it sell vs. those other cars? Here are the 2007 sales for some of them:

26,833 Azera
82,923 Lucerne
82,867 ES350
72,945 Avalon
58,545 TL
54,015 G Sedan
52,574 Maxima

Price/value alone doesn't gurantee big sales. Time will tell how the Genesis does, but it's not an automatic slam dunk.

Quick Reply: MT First Drive: Hyundai Genesis