Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

worst trends in car design?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 02:21 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want the high/low light switch back on the floor where it belongs.
Old 05-24-08, 03:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Center Positioned Instrument Cluster

And (related ) cars that have red 'S' or other supposed 'sport' designations as well as horrible 'kits' that are not in the least bit sporty. Exhibit A:

Old 05-24-08, 03:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I also really dislike 'metallic painted plastic' panels on the interior. I'd prefer plain black plastic to those!
Old 05-24-08, 05:10 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

SUV/pickups was probably the worst trend, all around they are great vehicles but just a waste to the average person driving them.
Old 05-24-08, 08:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EDGE2
SUV/pickups was probably the worst trend, all around they are great vehicles but just a waste to the average person driving them.
I can agree with that. How many people need a Pathfinder with a 5.6L V8, and FX with a 5.0L etc. So much wasted gas over the past 20 years.

More wagons, please.
Old 05-24-08, 11:36 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Small economy cars that aren't actually small. I'm talking about three door hatch-backs. These cars are a small shape, but they're still a bigger car than my friends MR2.

I also agree with the stuff you guys have said above, but if you want to make a small car, MAKE A SMALL CAR. Not a small shaped car.
Old 05-26-08, 03:40 PM
lubester
Rookie

cars like the new x6. what the hell is that thing?
Old 05-26-08, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jaydunn
I want the high/low light switch back on the floor where it belongs.
Why?

It is much easier to find in an instant, and less foolproof, on the steering column stalk. That's why they took it OFF the floor to start with. People had all kinds of problems groping around for the switch with their left foot, especially if floor mats covered it up.
Old 05-26-08, 04:00 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lubester
cars like the new x6. what the hell is that thing?
I encourage you to drive one. Absolutely amazing. It is the best of a 5 and 6 series rolled into a SUV with a lot more practicality and has excellent performance. In addition it gets close to the same gas mileage as a 335/535 in the city, and a lot better gas mileage than an M3/5/6.

So I don't know about you but when a 5,000 lb truck with lots of utility like an X5/X6 averages 18-19MPG I seem to think cars like the IS350, BMW 335 are the impractical cars. They weigh 1/3 less, have 1/3 less room, etc.

The SUV's of 2008 are small cars with lots of horsepower that suck lots of gas with no practicality.

To me, the focus should not be on SUV's that can carry lots of cargo and passengers, but the small performance cars that get the same gas mileage as SUV's or much larger cars. That is what I call impractical.

Last edited by sdbrandon; 05-26-08 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-26-08, 04:34 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
I encourage you to drive one. Absolutely amazing. It is the best of a 5 and 6 series rolled into a SUV with a lot more practicality and has excellent performance. In addition it gets close to the same gas mileage as a 335/535 in the city, and a lot better gas mileage than an M3/5/6.

So I don't know about you but when a 5,000 lb truck with lots of utility like an X5/X6 averages 18-19MPG I seem to think cars like the IS350, BMW 335 are the impractical cars. They weigh 1/3 less, have 1/3 less room, etc.

The SUV's of 2008 are small cars with lots of horsepower that suck lots of gas with no practicality.

To me, the focus should not be on SUV's that can carry lots of cargo and passengers, but the small performance cars that get the same gas mileage as SUV's or much larger cars. That is what I call impractical.
Wow, you sure are high on BMW....x6, practical? put it down man, put it down
Old 05-26-08, 04:52 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Wow, you sure are high on BMW....x6, practical? put it down man, put it down
You can subsitute the X6 for any other smaller SUV that gets similar gas mileage. My point is, I find small cars that suck large amounts of gas to be more impractical. That's all.
Old 05-26-08, 05:16 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

to the guy who talked about obesity and the necessity of 5 to 6 airbags.

ill continue driving my cars with 5-6 airbags, you dont have to if you dont want to. lol

jaguar pulls off side vents quite well.

as for the worst trends...id also have to say the ridiculous SUVs that are trying to be sports cars.
Old 05-26-08, 06:30 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For me, three things stand out with today's cars....and are getting more and more common every year. Increasingly cheap, painted-plastic interiors, lighter-weight tinny doors that don't close solidly any more, and too much stiffness in suspensions and tires to the detriment of ride comfort. Much of this, especially the interiors, is due to simple cost-cutting. Automakers use cheaper materials hoping you won't notice....but I sure do.

And too many features are going into today's cars that IMO don't really need to be there...but some of that is government regulation that the car companies can't help....they are forced to do it.
Well said.

My vote goes to the flared wheel arches in the front that don't seem to be carried to the back or if they were, not very well done. I get that you're trying to make the front sporty but that works only if you look at it from the front. From the rear 3/4, it looks weird to have a chunky front and a slim rear.
Old 05-26-08, 06:54 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
My vote goes to the flared wheel arches in the front that don't seem to be carried to the back or if they were, not very well done. I get that you're trying to make the front sporty but that works only if you look at it from the front. From the rear 3/4, it looks weird to have a chunky front and a slim rear.

yeah. like this

Old 05-26-08, 09:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't seen that before but basically yeah that's what I was referring to.

Quick Reply: worst trends in car design?