Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Texas motor vehicle inspection....are hi-beams REQUIRED?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 01:04 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Texas motor vehicle inspection....are hi-beams REQUIRED?

I lost my hi-beams when I installed the xenon-depot HID kit (I got it inspected right before I installed the kit).

I googled it and it said "hi-beam indicator" required which still works...but curious if I'll have to swap out the bulbs once a year.

thanks for any help.
Old 05-30-08, 09:20 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anytime you do a STATE inspection all safety components of the car MUST be working. High beams would fall under this category. To answer your question,, you will have to swap once a year, or get the Bi-xenon bulbs to work with your kit ; this way you have HID high and low.
Old 05-31-08, 08:28 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I'll have to ask.....it seems here that they say just the indication has to work....

Items of Inspection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

20.01 Beam Indicator. Every new motor vehicle registered in this state after January 1, 1948, other than a motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle, which has multiple beam road lighting equipment, shall be equipped with a beam indicator (no certain color required) which shall be lighted whenever the uppermost distribution of light from the head lamp is in use, and shall not be otherwise lighted. Said indicator shall be so designed and located that when lighted it will be readily visible without glare to the driver of the vehicle so equipped.

1. Inspection Procedure. Check operation and condition visually.

2. Inspect for and reject if: (When required)

a. Vehicle not equipped with a beam indicator.

b. Improper switching indication.

c. Produces glaring light.

d. Inoperative for any reason.
Old 05-31-08, 02:59 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I'll have to ask.....it seems here that they say just the indication has to work....

Items of Inspection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

20.01 Beam Indicator. Every new motor vehicle registered in this state after January 1, 1948, other than a motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle, which has multiple beam road lighting equipment, shall be equipped with a beam indicator (no certain color required) which shall be lighted whenever the uppermost distribution of light from the head lamp is in use, and shall not be otherwise lighted. Said indicator shall be so designed and located that when lighted it will be readily visible without glare to the driver of the vehicle so equipped.

1. Inspection Procedure. Check operation and condition visually.

2. Inspect for and reject if: (When required)

a. Vehicle not equipped with a beam indicator.

b. Improper switching indication.

c. Produces glaring light.

d. Inoperative for any reason.
And exactly how do they check that the indicator is functioning properly if the high beams don't go on when the indicator says they are on?
Old 05-31-08, 03:43 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
And exactly how do they check that the indicator is functioning properly if the high beams don't go on when the indicator says they are on?
light on the dash still comes on.

from what I've seen -- they just flick them on/off - I think just to look at the dash indication
Old 05-31-08, 03:55 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
light on the dash still comes on.

from what I've seen -- they just flick them on/off - I think just to look at the dash indication
Well, if the indicator comes on and the high beams don't come on, then there is a fault. As in:

a beam indicator (no certain color required) which shall be lighted whenever the uppermost distribution of light from the head lamp is in use

You might get away with it, you might not. But the law isn't written with the intention that when the switch for high beams moves, that the indicator lights up. It is meant that when the high beams are on, the indicator lights up. If I were doing the inspection, you'd probably never see me confirm it. I would just look and see if the high beams came on. If you go for the test and they pass you, you don't need to spend a dime. If you fail, then you switch bulbs and go back if I read your post right. A hassle but not exactly like being the victim of a violent crime. Of course I really, really like high beams. But that's just me.
Old 05-31-08, 04:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They way I interpret the law is that since it is illegal to drive with the high beams on all the time unless weather warrants it, the high beam indicator is required to notify the driver if his high beams are on or not. If I'm not mistaken, I thought it was federal law that required an operational low and high beam. I also thought it was illegal to modify the lighting system in any way anyway. At least in my state it is illegal, but that could be a state by state thing and not federal.

Anyway, just change the bulb back to normal when needed for inspection. I do that all that time for our state inspection. Take about 30 minutes to an hour to swap out everything that will not or may not pass inspection, then just put everything back. Its only once a year so its not a big deal.