Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan/Infiniti Design Future

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-08, 03:00 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan/Infiniti Design Future

The Japanese company's chief designer Shiro Nakamura is sending his studios in search of a new look for its' luxury division

Nissan's Infiniti luxury brand is embarking on a new design language for its next-generation of models, according to Nissan design chief Shiro Nakamura.

The Japanese automaker's design studios around the globe have been charged with finding this new look and the company will show a concept at a International motor show early next year—possibly Detroit or Geneva—to give clues to the new theme.

Recently Nakamura briefed the world's press at a product seminar and displayed some teaser images of the new Infiniti concept. The design is a coupe with classical sporty proportions featuring a cabin set back over the rear-axle and a long, sporty hood. Nakamura says the concept will not directly represent a future production model, but give the flavor of the new design theme.

Nakamura says that theme will continue to have a tightly-controlled family look with coherent detailing. "Consistency of design is very important for Infiniti," he said, "the range is relatively small and the geographical spread is getting much wider, so we need to be consistent".

This strategy is in contrast to Nissan. Nakamura will give the group's volume brand freedom to produce cars with only a loose link to a common set of design values.

"I am often asked whether Nissan needs a more consistent design theme. But diversity is a strength of Nissan. We don't feel the need for a common set of design elements," he says.

That gives designers the opportunity to borrow successful design elements without having to be constrained by a tight set of design criteria. Nakamura says elements of the GTR supercar, for example, might appear on other models. "But we wouldn't want to just copy that onto another model," he says.

The GTR has unique proportions with a relatively level beltline and angular, sloping roofline.

Each of Nissan brands has three core design values. For Infiniti they are: Seductive LU.S.tre, Energetic Force and Spritual Precision. And for Nissan Provocative Modernity, Energetic Agility and Playful Function. (see table below).

The search for Infiniti's new look will mean Infiniti models being designed outside Japan for the first time. Even though the brand has so far been sold only in the U.S., Nakamura has concentrated all design activity in Japan to ensure design consistency.

"But now that we are looking at the next generation models to be sold all over the globe, I want new inspiration."

Nissan Design Europe, based at Paddington in London, is for example designing at least two new Infiniti models.

Infiniti Design Values

Seductive Lustre: Elegant charm wrapped in mystique
Energetic Force: Natural dynamism and vibrancy
Spiritual Precision: The warmth and precision created by human craftsmanship that goes beyond mechanical exactness

Nissan Design Values

Provocative Modernity: Modernity with a strong and fresh presence that may create controversy. Summed-up by the GTR supercar
Energetic Agility: A design with the sentiment of agility, energy, and passion, like a cheetah at full speed.
Playful Function : Not merely functional, but a design that is a joy to use. We aim to heighten these values and to inspire our customers through the power of design.

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...Bamp%3B+design
Old 06-01-08, 07:35 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The Japanese company's chief designer Shiro Nakamura is sending his studios in search of a new look for its' luxury division

Nissan's Infiniti luxury brand is embarking on a new design language for its next-generation of models, according to Nissan design chief Shiro Nakamura..
This is a wise decision by Nissan, as their current strategy of making new models look like refreshes of old models is definitely not a viable one. Also it would be nice to make Infiniti models look more differentiated from Nissan models.

This strategy is in contrast to Nissan. Nakamura will give the group's volume brand freedom to produce cars with only a loose link to a common set of design values.

"I am often asked whether Nissan needs a more consistent design theme. But diversity is a strength of Nissan. We don't feel the need for a common set of design elements," he says.

That gives designers the opportunity to borrow successful design elements without having to be constrained by a tight set of design criteria. Nakamura says elements of the GTR supercar, for example, might appear on other models. "But we wouldn't want to just copy that onto another model," he says.
I disagree right there. Nissan DOES need some sort of set of common design elements, at least for each type of vehicle. For instance, all Nissan cars should have a common set of design elements, with the except of the GT-R. Nissan's trucks and SUVs should also have some similar design elements.

The GT-R is an icon, and I hope for Nissan's sake they don't milk the GT-R's styling cues and overuse them for other models. In fact, the GT-R styling cues should remain mostly unique to the GT-R. I see no reason with sharing the GT-R design cues with more mass market Nissan models.
Old 06-01-08, 07:45 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like Infiniti is trying to mimic the L-Finesse design direction Lexus announced several years ago. Even as an Infiniti owner, I agree they need to do something. I love my M for the overall package, but I still think Lexuses are more attractive cars. Infiniti was too conservative with the redesign of the G coupe and too over-the-top with the front end and chrome side vents on the FX. Their designers do need some direction.
Old 06-01-08, 09:00 AM
LexFather

Sounds good to me. I hope the next generation doesn't share as many Nissan parts as their design moves further away.

I think the new Maxima is a good step, it doesn't look like an Infiniti, but the interior does.

I've said it before that Nissan/Infiniti IMO has a management team that is better talented than Acura's at this point.

Old 06-01-08, 11:44 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Sounds good to me. I hope the next generation doesn't share as many Nissan parts as their design moves further away.

I think the new Maxima is a good step, it doesn't look like an Infiniti, but the interior does.

I've said it before that Nissan/Infiniti IMO has a management team that is better talented than Acura's at this point.
Agree on all points.

I'm really pleased with the corporation's overall return to attention to build quality. I'm intrigued by what other studios can come up with as far as future Infiniti designs, especially Europe.
Old 06-01-08, 12:12 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

im surprised the original post didnt start with a paint brush swoosh
lol
Old 06-01-08, 10:21 PM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

As much as I love my Infiniti, I don't think I will be looking into another one unless the new Q blows me away. The LS is a tough act to beat.

I think this is good for Infiniti. I hope for the best
Old 06-02-08, 06:16 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Infiniti Design Values

Seductive Lustre: Elegant charm wrapped in mystique
Energetic Force: Natural dynamism and vibrancy
Spiritual Precision: The warmth and precision created by human craftsmanship that goes beyond mechanical exactness

Nissan Design Values

Provocative Modernity: Modernity with a strong and fresh presence that may create controversy. Summed-up by the GTR supercar
Energetic Agility: A design with the sentiment of agility, energy, and passion, like a cheetah at full speed.
Playful Function : Not merely functional, but a design that is a joy to use. We aim to heighten these values and to inspire our customers through the power of design.
This sounds like exactly the kind of crap that would come out an American executive retreat or offsite. Seriously, do you think anyone could take these six words and use them to define a design direction?

I could completely mix them up and they'd make just as much sense:

Seductive Precision
Energetic Lustre
Spiritual Force
Provocative Function
Energetic Modernity
Playful Agility

They sound more to me like mantras for the next set of Power Rangers than anything remotely useful to taking Nissan/Infiniti to the next level.