Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura looks to become a Top Luxury Brand

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-08, 12:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ As a note, the RL does have a smart key system (for several years now).
Old 06-01-08, 12:51 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They need more AWD or to begin using RWD before I even consider one...
Old 06-01-08, 01:20 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Acura needs things like Smart Key and Cooled Seats before they can play in the big game. I realize I'm nit picking here but these things are important to a luxury buyer. In addition, I hate to say it, but their interiors don't "feel" as nice as a Lexus product (their most direct competitor IMHO). From the pictures they look every bit as nice, if not nicer. But when you sit in one back to back with a Lexus product, the Lexus product just "feels" more substantial.

The MDX is probably the best 3-row SUV out there for the money bar none - I would not argue that - but it just doesn't compare to the RX in terms of the items mentioned above.

Last but not least, the RL should be bigger than the TL, not the other way around. In luxury cars, Size DOES matter.
The RL since 05 does have smart key. Just not push button start. They use a twist start, but no key needs to be inserted. The RL is actually huge IMHO. In pictures it doesn't look that big, but the RL itself is wider, and longer than the Lexus GS. In person the car does feel large. Not LS460 large, but definitely larger than the TL. I also think The RL is the only Acura right now that rivals or betters the interior feel, fit and quality. It really does have a really nice plush interior feel.

Anyway, the problem is the RL is definitely a worthy car in itself, but buyers just don't think it is. Car for car, it competes well with the best of them. Perception though is another story and many people wont even give it a chance much less sit in one just because of its poor perception.

Other than that though Acura really does need to step up their entire line. I saw a new TSX on the road for the first time. The car actually looks pretty good in real life aside from the front grill. That looks just as bad as in the pictures. Problem is, the car itself isn't anything special anymore in terms of performance and from reviews even the interior went down a bit. With the latest crop of cars, I think they took a step sideways. With the 04 TL, 05 RL, and ingtroduction of the TSX, I think Acura took a step forward from where they were, so its kind of disappointing to see them not continue to step it up this past year or two.

If Acura wants to move forward, that is a good thing. I just hope they actually have steps in place to do it. Their designers suck right now though. Sorry, but the new grill just sucks and the trend of creating that diamond signature look in the front and rear is just ugly IMHO and looks more American rather than Japanese or European which I think should be the design direction Acura should follow.
Old 06-01-08, 01:59 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Before becoming a "Top Luxury Brand" they might want to consider
becoming a "Luxury Brand" first.
Old 06-01-08, 03:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Acura needs things like Smart Key and Cooled Seats before they can play in the big game. I realize I'm nit picking here but these things are important to a luxury buyer. In addition, I hate to say it, but their interiors don't "feel" as nice as a Lexus product (their most direct competitor IMHO). From the pictures they look every bit as nice, if not nicer. But when you sit in one back to back with a Lexus product, the Lexus product just "feels" more substantial.

The MDX is probably the best 3-row SUV out there for the money bar none - I would not argue that - but it just doesn't compare to the RX in terms of the items mentioned above.

Last but not least, the RL should be bigger than the TL, not the other way around. In luxury cars, Size DOES matter.
Well, what you are saying is pretty much true, but you have to consider that Lexus quality has taken a huge dump since this whole "L-finesse" cost cutting program was introduced. The current GS/ES interiors are horrendous, and RL/TL are much more substantial in comparison. But then judging by the new TSX, it looks like Acura decided to take a step back as well, so they'll even out.
Old 06-01-08, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

=JLSC4;3568927

The RDX is really fast with it's turbo. I almost snapped my neck.
The RDX has more low-end torque than any stock Honda-Acura four-cylinder I've ever driven.

As for the RL, I've driven/compared it side to side with the more expensive 5-series and MB E-class. THe RL is hand's down the better car. I think you are judging it from the outside...
The RL is not the largest or most powerful car in its class or price range, but its engineering, quality, and workmanship are all first-rate.....some of the best I've seen yet. The one I reviewed a couple of years ago ranks as one of my all-time Ten Best.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-01-08 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-01-08, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I won't rehash the same points I've been 100% correct about the last 5 or 6 years. Its silly and redundant, like Acura at this point.
Well, you and I probably do agree that Acura's image, in general, is not that of Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes...........but we may just have to, like gentlemen, agree to disagree on the RL. I like it; you don't.
Old 06-01-08, 03:52 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
The X5 for comparison....which is about $5K more.
hahahhahaa I have to laff at the X5 interior......its a joke.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you and I probably do agree that Acura's image, in general, is not that of Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes...........but we may just have to, like gentlemen, agree to disagree on the RL. I like it; you don't.
the new upcoming car? or the current RL?

I liked the current RL, but its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdue for a re-style.
Old 06-01-08, 03:52 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

If they get rid of that grill and build some AWD and RWD platforms that will be a good start
Old 06-01-08, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
the new upcoming car? or the current RL?

I liked the current RL, but its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overdue for a re-style.
The current model. It has durable materials, A-1 engineering, AND Swiss-Watch build quality, all three combined.........something that, in my experience, is rare in today's market. The only other car like that I've seen in its class, quality-wise, is the Lexus LS460....and the LS460, for all of its admitted excellence, doesn't have the superb SH-AWD system, though its Mark Levinson stereo and quiet ride rank among the worlds's best.
Old 06-01-08, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
If they get rid of that grill and build some AWD and RWD platforms that will be a good start
The RL, MDX, and RDX already come with AWD platforms. It's rumored for the TSX, but I haven't seen anything official yet.

I agree about the new Acura grilles. I don't know which I dislike more, theirs or Audi's.
Old 06-01-08, 05:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

But I would suggest driving one. Hell, just sit in one and you'll make your mind up... I've also driven a Porsche Cayenne and it sucked in comparison.
I have sat in the new MDX, and it definitely did not have "the best" interior. IMO the RX has a better interior. How exactly do you define "best"? Is it the acceleration or handling only of the MDX (other SUVs beat it in that metric)? Is it the comfort or versatility? Is it the overall package? Is it class-leading fuel economy? The MDX is definitely not the best when looking at many of these characteristics.

Since you work at an Acura dealer, it only makes sense that you would praise the MDX. Also, you only seem to be comparing it to the X5. What about the RX?

The RDX is really fast with it's turbo. I almost snapped my neck.

As for the RL, I've driven/compared it side to side with the more expensive 5-series and MB E-class. THe RL is hand's down the better car. I think you are judging it from the outside...
Yes the RDX is fast, but that has *nothing* to do with what I mentioned earlier. Once again, for the amount of power the RDX makes, it is a gas hog.

The exterior is definitely part of it. The RL simply does not look like a 50K luxury car. It's too plain and lacking in details.

Again, what defines the RL as "better"? For 50K, you can get a 535i well equipped. The 535i is definitely a better driver's car and a better overall performance machine than the RL. For 50K, you can get an M45 which is definitely a better overall car than the RL. For 53K, you can get a GS460.

Considering all the other cars you can get in the 50K range, the RL is certainly NOT a "screaming bargain" and you have failed to show exactly how it is.
Old 06-01-08, 05:58 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I agree with JLSC4, the RL is a bargain at 50k. Of course, Acura is having a hard time giving them away so you could probably pick one up for around 45k. For those of you that have never driven or even sat in the current RL model, it is indeed Lexus LS460-like in materials, quality, and craftsmanship. There is nothing in its price range that compares.
Old 06-01-08, 06:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I agree with JLSC4, the RL is a bargain at 50k. Of course, Acura is having a hard time giving them away so you could probably pick one up for around 45k. For those of you that have never driven or even sat in the current RL model, it is indeed Lexus LS460-like in materials, quality, and craftsmanship. There is nothing in its price range that compares.
Buyers seem to think the RL is a rip-off at 50k and they don't even think its a bargain at 42k, since you can get 6-8k off list. The cars sales have simply DROWNED since the M35/45 and GS debuted. Its best months were the 3 months before those cars were sold.

MMarshall really thinks highly of it, it is very well built and a great all around car but it leaves me severely wanting. I think its on par with other cars in class for build, not better and not on par with the LS. Also knowing it IS built off the global Accord platform and its FWD biased doesn't help perception with me.

Well Acura thinks this will help things? lol, I really laugh at their management

Let me remind you that THIS is ACURA'S FLAGSHIP. This is the BEST Acura can do. They put their best people and team to create and sell this car.

The 2009 Honda Accord V-6 L makes Acura for the most part, look silly. That car offers 90% of everything as well as some things Acura does not have for 20-30k.

If we could say that about Lexus and the Camry, NONE OF US would be on this forum and Lexus would pretty much, SUCK.

Nice interior

Old 06-01-08, 06:21 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
MMarshall really thinks highly of it, it is very well built and a great all around car but it leaves me severely wanting. I think its on par with other cars in class for build, not better and not on par with the LS. Also knowing it IS built off the global Accord platform and its FWD biased doesn't help perception with me.
I agree. I've thoroughly examined and looked at the overall as well as interior build quality and it is on par with others in its class (Infiniti M, GS). It is NOT better than the class competition and I definitely do not find it on par with the LS.

Quick Reply: Acura looks to become a Top Luxury Brand