Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura looks to become a Top Luxury Brand

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-08, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I agree. I've thoroughly examined and looked at the overall as well as interior build quality and it is on par with others in its class (Infiniti M, GS). It is NOT better than the class competition and I definitely do not find it on par with the LS.
The RL's general build quality and interior that I thought so highly of was for the 2006-2007 version, not necessarily the newest ones. And, except for the traction and sure-footedness of the SH-AWD, the drivetrain is obviously not as strong as the LS460's.
Old 06-01-08, 07:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's first clarify that I am a Lexus fan first and foremost. My Acura comments are unbiased facts/opinions as I honestly see them. I offer my opinions based on driving just about every make/model available.

I have sat in the new MDX, and it definitely did not have "the best" interior. IMO the RX has a better interior. How exactly do you define "best"? Is it the acceleration or handling only of the MDX (other SUVs beat it in that metric)? Is it the comfort or versatility? Is it the overall package? Is it class-leading fuel economy? The MDX is definitely not the best when looking at many of these characteristics.
I consider it the overall best package without question. I think it's interior easily beats the RX's. I don't like how the RX's center setup is designed like a minivan (narrow fold down armrests, seperated low middle console, ect.).

Since you work at an Acura dealer, it only makes sense that you would praise the MDX. Also, you only seem to be comparing it to the X5. What about the RX?
My praise of the MDX or any Acura has nothing to do with working there. I work there because they were the dealer hiring. But after driving so many different cars, Acura really shines. We, in fact, have an RX on the lot (traded in for MDX). We've had several traded in in the past year. I really like them but they're not in the same class. That's why I compared it to the closer priced X5. The RX is around 37K, the MDX around $45K.

Yes the RDX is fast, but that has *nothing* to do with what I mentioned earlier. Once again, for the amount of power the RDX makes, it is a gas hog.
The RDX rates 1 mpg less than the RX350. Quite the gas hog alright.

The exterior is definitely part of it. The RL simply does not look like a 50K luxury car. It's too plain and lacking in details.

Again, what defines the RL as "better"? For 50K, you can get a 535i well equipped. The 535i is definitely a better driver's car and a better overall performance machine than the RL. For 50K, you can get an M45 which is definitely a better overall car than the RL. For 53K, you can get a GS460.

Considering all the other cars you can get in the 50K range, the RL is certainly NOT a "screaming bargain" and you have failed to show exactly how it is.
I've compared the RL and 535i before. We've had a few 5's traded in as well.
The interior of the 5 looks like an economy car in comparison to the RL. They are world's apart. The RL is a true luxury car, the 5 is definately not. For me, the RL drove much better as well and has SH-AWD. For the racetrack, one might prefer the 5. You've based your rating on exterior styling. Sure, I agree it doesn't have the prescence it should, but it doesn't deserve to be put down overall for it. The 5 is no beauty either. We also have a MB E350 on the lot and it doesn't compare to the RL either. There's a reason we get all these "nice" trade-ins" for Acura's instead. We do indeed have a high percentage of German luxury cars being traded in.

The RX's interior....
Attached Thumbnails Acura looks to become a Top Luxury Brand-carmageddon1059.jpg  
Old 06-01-08, 08:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Let's first clarify that I am a Lexus fan first and foremost. My Acura comments are unbiased facts/opinions as I honestly see them. I offer my opinions based on driving just about every make/model available.

I consider it the overall best package without question. I think it's interior easily beats the RX's. I don't like how the RX's center setup is designed like a minivan (narrow fold down armrests, seperated low middle console, ect.).

My praise of the MDX or any Acura has nothing to do with working there. I work there because they were the dealer hiring. But after driving so many different cars, Acura really shines. We, in fact, have an RX on the lot (traded in for MDX). We've had several traded in in the past year. I really like them but they're not in the same class. That's why I compared it to the closer priced X5. The RX is around 37K, the MDX around $45K.
http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?initPath=MDX
MDX starts at 40k, it is RX competition, that is absurd to say they are not in the same class. Both are AWD, FWD based on other platforms. MDX is bigger. THey are compared all the time. RX FWD is 38k, RX AWD is 39k

In the realworld, people are getting V-8 economy in the RDX, mid to high teens.

The interior of the 5 looks like an economy car in comparison to the RL. They are world's apart. The RL is a true luxury car, the 5 is definately not. For me, the RL drove much better as well and has SH-AWD. For the racetrack, one might prefer the 5. You've based your rating on exterior styling. Sure, I agree it doesn't have the prescence it should, but it doesn't deserve to be put down overall for it. The 5 is no beauty either. We also have a MB E350 on the lot and it doesn't compare to the RL either. There's a reason we get all these "nice" trade-ins" for Acura's instead. We do indeed have a high percentage of German luxury cars being traded in.

The RX's interior....

Just check my notes in blue. You do realize while your particular dealer has these trades, well BMW/Benz/Lexus dealers clearly have Acura trades as well.

You mention the case of the LS 460 traded in for the TSX. We have a case here of a Bentley traded in for a LS 460. There will always be special cases.

Acura themselves stated the #1 car the TL is cross shopped with is their own Honda Accord.

Old 06-01-08, 08:51 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

I swear this thread is like deja vu... every time the subject of Acura comes up.
Old 06-01-08, 09:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by leedogg
I swear this thread is like deja vu... every time the subject of Acura comes up.
Tell them stop telling the press silly crap
I agree this is redundant and I am not holding my breathe to see this happen. If it does, who will really care but Honda fans? The competition is not standing still at all and continues to distance themselves from Acura.

The Reis Report: What is an Acura? (Video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhK_yTtCgOA

Last edited by LexFather; 06-01-08 at 09:53 PM.

Old 06-01-08, 09:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

What objective basis does the MDX beat the RX on the interior, other than layout? Does the MDX have better interior quality, better ergonomics, better fit and finish? The RX definitely has a more intuitive and easy-to-use interior, because it has a lot less buttons than the MDX. The RX also has a touch-screen nav screen, while the MDX has that clunky and cumbersome dial you have to use to interact with the nav screen. MDX is quite a bit down on fuel economy compared to the RX. MDX achieves 15/20, while the RX350 AWD achieves 17/22.

Plus, you're comparing the current RX which is a dated model to the new MDX which was redesigned not long ago. There will be a redesigned RX in the next few months, and the MDX will likely compare less favourably.

Be specific. Is it the performance aspects of the MDX that you think is better than the RX, or the ride comfort/quality?

Thanks for proving my point. The RDX does not compete with the RX, as the RX is larger and heavier than the RDX and it's also more powerful. The RX350 FWD gets 18/23 EPA while the RDX gets 17/22. Even if we compare the RX350 AWD that gets 17/22, equal to the RDX. To add, an RX350 AWD weighs roughly 200lbs more than the RDX, makes more power, and it's tuning is focused more on refinement than the RDX engine.

So once again, the RDX *IS* a gas hog for its size and the amount of power its making.

Again, you need to be more specific. Does the RL have better ride quality than a 535i or better handling/performance? I will tell you objectively the 535i flat-out has better performance and handling characteristics than the RL. The 5 Series is no beauty, but it's exterior is distinctive and at least somewhat worthy of it's price. The RL's exterior is very plain, with little distinction.

As for interior, yes the RL has a better interior than the 535i but the 535i beats it in other metrics.

Not only does the 535i beat the RL performance-wise, it also gets better fuel economy. RL achieves 16/24 EPA, while the 535i gets 17/26 EPA. In fact, the RL EPA numbers are the same as an LS460, a bigger, heavier, and more powerful car.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 06-01-08 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-01-08, 09:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

[QUOTE=TRDFantasy;3570058]I have sat in the new MDX, and it definitely did not have "the best" interior. IMO the RX has a better interior. How exactly do you define "best"? Is it the acceleration or handling only of the MDX (other SUVs beat it in that metric)? Is it the comfort or versatility? Is it the overall package? Is it class-leading fuel economy? The MDX is definitely not the best when looking at many of these characteristics.

Since you work at an Acura dealer, it only makes sense that you would praise the MDX. Also, you only seem to be comparing it to the X5. What about the RX?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't work at an Acura dealership, never have owned an Acura, and own a Lexus and still think the MDX is the better overall SUV then a RX and has a nicer interior. I have compared both and I can't see how someone would think the RX interior is nicer. The MDX looked better and more expensive and had higher quality materials and better fit and finish. The RX had too much cheap silver plastic and had a few bad fits in certain areas like the glove compartment. The MDX just feels like a more substancial solid vehicle. The RX I think does appeal more to woman and I can see why they like it, probrably more so then the MDX which appeals much more to men. I like the styling of the MDX but I am sure some are put off by the aggressive front end. The RX is probrably easier on the eyes to many but not nearly as groundbreaking or aggressive. The MDX can put most sedans to shame in the handling department and you won't have to worry about the unstable characteristics of SUVs with the MDX when taking corners hard, it was made for that. It has more then enough power. I would say it is in a slight class above the RDX in terms of price, size, features, and power. It is usaully compared with sportier more expensive SUVs like the BMW X5, Mercedes ML and FX and even a BMW executive said the MDX was the better overall vehicle in an interview/article.

I am not saying the RX is a bad vehicle, it is an excellent SUV and appeals highly to its audience which is predominantly woman, I just find the MDX to be superior but then again the MDX is more expensive and should offer more vehicle. Both MDX and RX are huge sellers for both brands and make up a very large percentage of their annual sales. I am not an SUV guy and don't see myself ever buying one but if I do it is most likely going to be an MDX as it offers everything I would want in a SUV and eliminates many of the drawbacks with SUVs like sloppy/dangerous handling and a truck like ride.

Last edited by UDel; 06-01-08 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-01-08, 09:54 PM
LexFather

^^^^
Oh I agree 100%, the MDX is a great vehicle in this class. Easily to feel its more spacious than the RX, fake wood ain't so bad and the materials are pretty good, IMO. Sales haven't exploded though for an all new model, not sure why.
Overall, MDX is a fantastic SUV.

Old 06-01-08, 09:57 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The exterior is definitely part of it. The RL simply does not look like a 50K luxury car. It's too plain and lacking in details.

Again, what defines the RL as "better"? For 50K, you can get a 535i well equipped. The 535i is definitely a better driver's car and a better overall performance machine than the RL. For 50K, you can get an M45 which is definitely a better overall car than the RL. For 53K, you can get a GS460.

Considering all the other cars you can get in the 50K range, the RL is certainly NOT a "screaming bargain" and you have failed to show exactly how it is.
The current GS and M don't look like 50K cars either. The GS looks like a Maxima and I have personally witnessed people mistake the two. The Infiniti M(which I like) is plain and lacking in details too. A well equipped 535i is going to cost you much more then a RL. Have you sat in a 5 series. Talk about a plain weak dissapointing cost cut interior that does not feel or look anything like a 50K+ interior, the previous generation 5 series interior and the RL puts the new 5 series to shame. I don't think the exterior of a 5 series looks good either or like a 50K car. You are going to pay alot more then 50K for a M45 too equipted like an RL and have to deal with a v8 that gets absolutely horrible fuel economy and that is really just your opinion the M45 is a better car, I do like the M35/45 but I would not say it is better, it does not have a nicer interior but it does have a bigger interior and has more rear seat room.

A GS460 is much more expensive then then RL too and it is no faster then a GS350 yet costs alot more and gets worse gas mileage so there is not much of an advantage paying more for the v8. You are comparing more expensive v8 options in the GS and the M to much less expensive 6 cylinder RL so it is kind of a mute point. I spent awhile comparing both the GS and RL interiors and I felt the RL has a much nicer interior that is better put together with higher quality materials. It has a nicer looking design too and better plastics especially on the dash. I drove the GS and RL as well and the RL drove nicer and handled better. I felt the RL was superior to the GS in most areas especially the interior which I was a bit dissapointed in with the new GS. Look at all the complaints just on this site of issues with the GS interior and issues like squeeks, rattles, poor fit and obvious cost cutting in the materials department. The current GS also has poor headroom which is not a problem in the RL. The GS interior did not feel roomy and kind of cramped. In many ways the 2nd Gen GS interior uses superior materials and has a better fit and finish though there are some bits in the new GS like the buttons, switches, and speedometer guages that are nicer.

I am not saying the new GS is a bad car either as it is a nice car, it is just a disappointment compared to the last one and some of its competition, I am not the only one who feels this way even on this site. It usually seems to get lukewarm reviews too in auto magazines even though it offers a v8, rwd, hybrids. The RL usaully gets better reviews but mainly gets critisized for not offering rwd or v8s. After sitting in it and test drives I was highly impressed by the RL especially the interior and how it drove and felt it was well worth its asking price when you compare it to its competition and what else is offered in the same price range although I don't feel that any of the mid level lux cars priced 50K or over are really worth the money especially when compared to many entry level sports/lux cars priced in the 30's and they should all be priced in the low to mid 40's.

Last edited by UDel; 06-01-08 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-01-08, 10:56 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
^^^^
Oh I agree 100%, the MDX is a great vehicle in this class. Easily to feel its more spacious than the RX, fake wood ain't so bad and the materials are pretty good, IMO. Sales haven't exploded though for an all new model, not sure why.
Overall, MDX is a fantastic SUV.
One of the major problems with the MDX and all of the Acura lineup is the lack of options. I love the SH-AWD that Acura makes (only tried the RL). The thing is I'm in CA and 99.995% of the time I won't need the AWD. I'd trade in the AWD system to get a few better mpg and I'm pretty sure a lot of people would agree with me. Options is what Acura needs. Yes or no to a tech pkg...not much to choose from there.
Old 06-01-08, 11:02 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

MDX has a VCM module that shuts off 3 cylinders under light load...the way i drive, i get better fuel economy than a mazda6 (my other car)
Old 06-02-08, 03:10 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry, but the MDX is not in the same class as the Lexus RX. Acura has it marketed to take on the BMW X5, Lexus GX, Porshe Cayenne, Mercedes ML.. Nice vehicle the MDX is..

Try these moves in the RX or GX...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EOsKwZXe2iQ
Old 06-02-08, 03:39 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink Cali

Originally Posted by leedogg
The article, @ least to me, read like it was more about a local dealership in Cali rennovating. The rest was just back story. However, it does seem like as soon as the word Acura (or certain other brands) gets mentioned here ...

Old 06-02-08, 03:49 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
MDX starts at 40k, it is RX competition, that is absurd to say they are not in the same class. Both are AWD, FWD based on other platforms. MDX is bigger. THey are compared all the time. RX FWD is 38k, RX AWD is 39k
Then it's clear that the RX needs work if it is the same class as the MDX. And imagine how much we would bash the MDX if it came with FWD standard??

I consider the RX classed in between the RDX and MDX.

In the Car and Driver comparo I posted earlier, they put the GX470 into the comparison against the MDX. While the MDX got 1st place, the GX470 got
5th place. Last time I checked, the GX was a class above the RX. So how would the RX stack up?
Old 06-02-08, 03:54 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Just for comparison sake, the top model in this class loaded with every option:

Acura RL: $58,700
Lexus GS450h: $61,600
Infiniti M45: $66,000
Audi A6: $72,200
MB E550: $87,000
BMW 550i: $90,800

Quick Reply: Acura looks to become a Top Luxury Brand