Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura looks to become a Top Luxury Brand

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-08, 03:06 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura looks to become a Top Luxury Brand

Acura Dealers On Board With Push for Luxury Buyers

Acura isn’t a top luxury brand. But that’s the goal of Japan’s Honda Motor Co., parent of the Acura brand.

“We’re not quite at the level of Lexus, Mercedes or BMW,” said Mark McKellop, general manager for Norm Reeves Acura of Mission Viejo.

The brand is in the midst of a five-year plan to boost its luxury factor, McKellop said. It wants to be on the shopping list of auto buyers who are considering a Lexus or a Mercedes-Benz, he said.

Acura is encouraging its dealers to go upscale with their showrooms, he said. Norm Reeves Acura did just that.

It tore down its old building and built a nearly 70,000-square-foot showroom and now has the newest Acura showroom in the nation.

It doesn’t have waterfalls like Newport Lexus, he said. The dealership isn’t aiming for the four-star hotel feel, McKellop said. It wanted to be modern and state of the art, he said. Like other luxury dealers, it does have a coffee bar that serves Starbucks Coffee.

Norm Reeves Acura is targeting modest sales this year: new auto sales of 1,250 and 600 used. Construction put its sales goals behind normal levels, McKellop said.

“We were operating out of three facilities during construction,” he said.

Its 2009 sporty Acura TSX recently hit the showroom floor and the redesigned 2009 Acura RL luxury sedan and the 2009 Acura TL, a midsize luxury car, are due out this fall. Acura will soon be selling a “clean diesel,” a low-emission engine auto yet to be named.

Acura plans to add a new auto to the lineup every year, McKellop said.

The dealer is the top selling used Acura auto dealer in its district, which includes 13 dealers in the Los Angeles and San Diego regions. Used sales will be a focus this year, given the slumping economy.

Norm Reeves Acura also is a pilot store for “accelerated service,” which boosts services by dedicating dealer staff and service stalls for routine, minimal services, such as oil changes or minor tune-ups, to get people in and out quicker. It has 26 service bays.

By 2010, all Acura dealers are expected to make improvements at their dealerships, he said.

http://www.ocbj.com/industry_article...27&aID2=125822
Old 06-01-08, 07:14 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

It's unfortunate but it's all an image thing.

Acuras are already better overall than comparably priced Benz's and BMW's. I drive all the brands everyday as my job and there's no question about it.

The MDX is the best sport-ute that money can buy - just drive one if you don't believe me. The RDX is easily the best in it's respective market. These claims can be confirmed by auto journalists who have already done the comparisons.

The RL has been a sceaming bargain at $50K - a supurb car.

The TL and TSX also speak for themselves. Great sports sedans.

Two weeks ago, we had a guy trade in an '07 Lexus LS460 for the new TSX.
We were all stunned. He said he just liked the TSX too much to pass it up. I haven't driven the LS yet because the general manager immediately took it for his demo, lol.

The Acura dealer I'm at doesn't see all to many Lexus trades (a couple a month) but we get bunches of BMW's and Benz's (all pretty new) in for Acuras. People I think are tired of German issues.
Old 06-01-08, 07:26 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLSC4
It's unfortunate but it's all an image thing.

Acuras are already better overall than comparably priced Benz's and BMW's. I drive all the brands everyday as my job and there's no question about it.

The MDX is the best sport-ute that money can buy - just drive one if you don't believe me. The RDX is easily the best in it's respective market. These claims can be confirmed by auto journalists who have already done the comparisons.

The RL has been a sceaming bargain at $50K - a supurb car.

The TL and TSX also speak for themselves. Great sports sedans.

Two weeks ago, we had a guy trade in an '07 Lexus LS460 for the new TSX.
We were all stunned. He said he just liked the TSX too much to pass it up. I haven't driven the LS yet because the general manager immediately took it for his demo, lol.

The Acura dealer I'm at doesn't see all to many Lexus trades (a couple a month) but we get bunches of BMW's and Benz's (all pretty new) in for Acuras. People I think are tired of German issues.
I think some of what you say is a little bit of a stretch. The MDX is NOT "the best sport-ute money can buy" ... that is highly arguable and debatable. For the power its making, the RDX is a gas hog.

As for the RL, I cannot possibly see how it is a "screaming bargain" at 50K. I hope you weren't serious with that comment.
Old 06-01-08, 07:50 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I think some of what you say is a little bit of a stretch. The MDX is NOT "the best sport-ute money can buy" ... that is highly arguable and debatable. For the power its making, the RDX is a gas hog.

As for the RL, I cannot possibly see how it is a "screaming bargain" at 50K. I hope you weren't serious with that comment.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

But I would suggest driving one. Hell, just sit in one and you'll make your mind up... I've also driven a Porsche Cayenne and it sucked in comparison.

The RDX is really fast with it's turbo. I almost snapped my neck.

As for the RL, I've driven/compared it side to side with the more expensive 5-series and MB E-class. THe RL is hand's down the better car. I think you are judging it from the outside...

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 06-01-08 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-01-08, 08:09 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't ridden or driven any of the more recent Acura models. I do remember riding in some of the earlier ones when I was younger though. They were almost like rebadged Honda's back then. Then the Integra upped the bar a bit, and I absolutely fell in love with the Legend.

I didn't give Acura much more than a quick scan though, last year, mainly because I remember thinking their prices were a bit high in comparison to the Lexus. I also really didn't like the entirely FWD-based lineup even though SH-AWD was available.

I actually like the styling of the TSX/TL/RL's. The RDX/MDX--not so much.
Old 06-01-08, 08:11 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I've driven the MDX, it's a decent car, with 300hp, it's slow, the interior is nice but not refined. i did not like the painted trimming inside the car. when i close the door, it feels hollow and the doors feels weak. I do like their sport mode function and the 2 extra seats in the back.
As for the RL, I haven't driven the car, but it feels so cramp in side and i'm only 5'8". does not feel like a midsize seden, even the back seat is worst.

as for the guy who traded his LS460 for a TSX...no comment
Old 06-01-08, 08:17 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisyano
I haven't ridden or driven any of the more recent Acura models. I do remember riding in some of the earlier ones when I was younger though. They were almost like rebadged Honda's back then. Then the Integra upped the bar a bit, and I absolutely fell in love with the Legend.

I didn't give Acura much more than a quick scan though, last year, mainly because I remember thinking their prices were a bit high in comparison to the Lexus. I also really didn't like the entirely FWD-based lineup even though SH-AWD was available.

I actually like the styling of the TSX/TL/RL's. The RDX/MDX--not so much.

Yes, Acura are over-priced. When the MDX first came out, there was a huge markup on those vehicles as well as the TL and TSX's.
even Honda Accord's are past the $30k price range.
Old 06-01-08, 08:24 AM
LexFather

lol at ANOTHER useless Acura press release.

More of they SAYING instead of DOING. Its given us quite a chuckle the last few years.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=acura

Old 06-01-08, 08:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's not another Acura Press release. It's another journalist repeating the same thing as other jounralists when they have nothing new to report on. It's not Honda/acura's fault that the media keeps on putting this news on repeat.
Old 06-01-08, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
It's not another Acura Press release. It's another journalist repeating the same thing as other jounralists when they have nothing new to report on. It's not Honda/acura's fault that the media keeps on putting this news on repeat.
lol well it again shows they are BEHIND. Lexus and the other brands are ALREADY finished for the most part with dealer renovations. The diesel Acura might not fare to well as diesel prices are higher than premium and diesel just has a negative stigma in America.

I won't rehash the same points I've been 100% correct about the last 5 or 6 years. Its silly and redundant, like Acura at this point.

Old 06-01-08, 08:42 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Acura wants to improve its image and become better? I dont believe this. They want to become worse just like everybody else.

I think sick might be onto something. Acura shouldnt even bother trying. Give it up and sink to former kia levels already.
Old 06-01-08, 11:20 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, I was just waiting for Mike to chime in on this one.

If Acura was really serious about moving up instead of talking about moving up, they would concentrate on the products first. mmarshall reviewed the new TSX not too long ago, and mentioned how they've cheapened the quality of the interior. How are you going to upmarket doing things like that? I also think they have a hard time finding middle ground with their designs. Cars like the RL have been widely criticized for being too bland, while some feel TSX and TL designs are too out there for a luxury car.
Old 06-01-08, 11:25 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSing430
I've driven the MDX, it's a decent car, with 300hp, it's slow, the interior is nice but not refined. i did not like the painted trimming inside the car. when i close the door, it feels hollow and the doors feels weak. I do like their sport mode function and the 2 extra seats in the back.
Are you talking about the '07/'08 model?? Sounds like you're describing the previous gen. The MDX is just as fast as your RX350 but you describe this larger vehicle as "slow". The doors are the least "hollow" doors I've seen (I close hundreds of car doors a day). The interior is not refined? Show be an SUV interior more refined than the MDX (pic below).

Originally Posted by GSing430
As for the RL, I haven't driven the car, but it feels so cramp in side and i'm only 5'8". does not feel like a midsize seden, even the back seat is worst.
That's because it's a full-size sedan. I'm 6'1, 240 and it feels very large to me.
Attached Thumbnails Acura looks to become a Top Luxury Brand-acura-mdx-interior.jpg  
Old 06-01-08, 11:35 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The X5 for comparison....which is about $5K more.
Attached Thumbnails Acura looks to become a Top Luxury Brand-new-bmw-x5-interior-1-lg.jpg  

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 06-01-08 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-01-08, 12:42 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Acura needs things like Smart Key and Cooled Seats before they can play in the big game. I realize I'm nit picking here but these things are important to a luxury buyer. In addition, I hate to say it, but their interiors don't "feel" as nice as a Lexus product (their most direct competitor IMHO). From the pictures they look every bit as nice, if not nicer. But when you sit in one back to back with a Lexus product, the Lexus product just "feels" more substantial.

The MDX is probably the best 3-row SUV out there for the money bar none - I would not argue that - but it just doesn't compare to the RX in terms of the items mentioned above.

Last but not least, the RL should be bigger than the TL, not the other way around. In luxury cars, Size DOES matter.

Quick Reply: Acura looks to become a Top Luxury Brand