Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for a hybrid for my parents.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 05:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I don't think so.....there's nearly 1000 on autotrader.com -- don't how accurate that is.

dealers have Prius' coming in all the time -- you need to get on the dealers list...and keep calling them. When one comes in they'll call and ask if you want it, if not they move to the next person on the list (I wouldn't plan on a discount).
not accurate at all... Prius had 6 day supply last month and it got worse... Toyota probably hates it that they cant build enough.
Old 06-04-08, 06:29 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they want to save money, a hybrid won't do it according to CR. It makes sense if they want to go green. You also have to look at if they do alot of highway driving. That would use the gas engine more, decreasing any savings.
Old 06-04-08, 06:52 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BCP43002
If they want to save money, a hybrid won't do it according to CR. It makes sense if they want to go green. You also have to look at if they do alot of highway driving. That would use the gas engine more, decreasing any savings.
Of course if all you are looking at as price of Prius vs price of Corolla or Yaris, but factor in things such as equipment and other benefits of a hybrid it might make some sense to other people
Old 06-05-08, 12:17 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xioix
Of course if all you are looking at as price of Prius vs price of Corolla or Yaris, but factor in things such as equipment and other benefits of a hybrid it might make some sense to other people
Not to mention that the midsize Prius gets 10 Hwy MPGs better than the compact Corolla.
Old 06-05-08, 12:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus350
I think they want a car that is a little more fuel efficient. What do you guys think about the Civic hybrid?
I think, overall, unless you really want the Prius hatchback's bigger cargo area, that the Civic Hybrid is a better choice. Here's my recent review:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...a+civic+hybrid

The chief complaint I had was the quirky jump that the car makes when you take your foot off the brake at a stop and the electric motor engages, but other than that, the car runs flawlessly.

Hybrids, thoigh, are not cheap.....especially with the waiting lines and mark-ups that many dealerships charge. Financially, you might be better off with a cheap, high-mileage, conventionaly-powered compact or subcompact.
Old 06-05-08, 01:36 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i dont understand why people keep saying that hybrid premiums are not worth it. of course if you look at lexus hybrids, it might not make sense. but the prius *starts* at 21.5K. that makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 06-05-08, 01:36 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

What's the lifespan of a hybrid battery?

Also, how much would it cost to replace a hybrid battery (say, in a Camry hybrid)?
Old 06-05-08, 01:40 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy101

Also, how much would it cost to replace a hybrid battery (say, in a Camry hybrid)?
warranty for 8 years, 180K miles in california. cali has a stricter warranty than other states, but its still around there.

we just had an article about this. Toyota dealers charage 3K for a new battery pack, and honda in the 2K range. but the cost is expected to go down.

also, keep in mind, few people arent going to keep their car for 8 years.
Old 06-05-08, 02:19 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Camry Hybrid, GS450h, RX400h or
2009 VW Passat 2.0 TDI
Old 06-05-08, 04:20 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by RXSF
warranty for 8 years, 180K miles in california. cali has a stricter warranty than other states, but its still around there.

we just had an article about this. Toyota dealers charage 3K for a new battery pack, and honda in the 2K range. but the cost is expected to go down.

also, keep in mind, few people arent going to keep their car for 8 years.
Plus, very few have had to replace the battery in its 10+ years being on the road
Old 06-05-08, 04:32 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
+1

they (or you) will probably have to search quite a bit for one, or get on a list at your nearby dealer.

Civic is a notch below in MPG + features (no backup camera, etc)

another option is a slightly used Prius - there's quite a few out there now.
Heh, no...there really isnt, and the ones i have found are more than slightly used...150,000+miles

the demand for this things is rediculous...the only way you will find a used one is on a lease turn in...and thats with luck.

As far as the civic goes, my grandparents LOVE mine. the Digital speedometer is bright and easy to read. the two tier dashboard with speedo/Fuel/engine temp on top and everything else on bottom makes it so that your two most important gauges (fuel/Speed) are on top so you need not take your eyes off the road to read them.

The hybrid civic will get better mileage than the camry hybrid, but its alot less car. the #'s crom the EPA are too low though. Most people i know on this forum:

www.8thcivic.com

get between 45-55 mpg in the city. the reason why its not as good as the prius is because the prius' engine actually SHUTS OFF while driving in town. the gas engine in the civic only goes to idle. it will not shut off unless you shut it off when you park.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 06-05-08 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 05:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunthaa
My parents are in the same boat. I've been pushing them to wait for the next gen Prius. What do you think?
Can they wait that long? (at least one year and a bit if it comes out in Aug 2009 as a 2010 model). If they can, then go ahead and wait for the Gen 3. It should be a good.

Originally Posted by carguy101

15 years? That's what Toyota targeted.

Prius battery is US$2,100 wholesale. More if you get it from the dealer plus labour of course and taxes. That is, if you have to replace it.

I don't see why people don't go around saying "how much for the transmission or the alternator?" if it goes? That tranny's gonna cost more than the battery and it's only covered by the 5-year powertrain warranty while the battery is under the 8/100 warranty. 10 years if you're in CA.
Old 06-05-08, 05:49 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OneJay
The Camry hybrids are pretty nice.
Yeah heard they are nice..try honda accord v6 hybrid..thats nice also
Old 06-05-08, 05:54 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by wowitztai