Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan's all-new Teana luxury sedan makes its Japanese debut

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-08, 08:48 PM
LexFather

Post 2009 Nissan Teana

his luxury flagship 4-door sedan will replace the Maxima in non-North American markets and is heavily influenced by the Intima concept seen last year at the Tokyo Motor Show.

Slideshow >>

But unlike the U.S. model, which is being replaced by a tauter package with more muscular styling, the Teana is more traditional in its approach to both styling and luxury. The new look has a traditional horizontal grille and large headlamp lenses that flow back into the front fenders, unlike the lowered GT-R-inspired snout and L-shaped headlamp lenses of the new Maxima. The Teana's sides are softer and rounder and blend back into the car's drooping tail.

Unlike the Intima, which had a B-pillarless design, the Teana is a conventional 4-door with seating for up to five passengers. The high-line approach to the interior, with muted colors plus wood and aluminum accents, carries over to the production model.

Chinese buyers will have a choice between a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine or a 2.5-liter V-6, while other export markets will choose between the 2.5-liter and a larger 3.5-liter V-6. The front-drive Teana is equipped with Nissan's Xtronic continuously variable transmission (CVT) that has an 8-step manual shift mode.

Nissan/Infniti are getting even MORE similar, instead of the opposite.

Old 05-01-08, 09:13 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how they have an 8spd simulated CVT.
Just so they can market it with 8 speeds even though it's a CVT. They should take the extra step and say it has 20 speeds.
Old 05-01-08, 09:14 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed, this car, in terms of styling and material both in and out, can very well be badged as an Infiniti and no one would find anything out of place. However, one must keep in mind that the Teana is sold only in Asia, where the Camry is also marketed as and decorated like a luxury car. So to that end, it's only fair to say that Nissan is doing what they've gotta do to compete in the respective markets.
Old 05-01-08, 09:39 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wonder if they stuck with the "moving living room" concept. well, that's probably the direction where the new Maxima's headed for.
Old 05-01-08, 10:40 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rear styling looks s-classish to me..esp in the first pic
Old 05-01-08, 10:51 PM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Great. I thought toyota was the only one who made an Avalon. Guess I was wrong.
Old 05-02-08, 12:12 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I see Audi A6 side body and MBZ S front fascia hints.
Old 05-02-08, 06:29 AM
MikeSC4
Driver

Nice car, but interior looks a little cheap.
Old 05-04-08, 06:44 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
I like how they have an 8spd simulated CVT.
Just so they can market it with 8 speeds even though it's a CVT. They should take the extra step and say it has 20 speeds.
Yes, it should say it has an infinite number of gears.... oh wait. =P

I like the wavy centre console from the bottom of the radio to the armrest.
Old 05-05-08, 09:05 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drink300
Great. I thought toyota was the only one who made an Avalon. Guess I was wrong.
Those words had just left my mouth ROFL
Old 05-05-08, 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice interior..........much nicer than the old Maxima. It could, IMO, pass for an Infiniti........though, of course, I've seen it only in the picture, not in person.

But unlike the U.S. model, which is being replaced by a tauter package
One thing this car does NOT need is a stiffer suspension and lower-profile tires.
Enough is enough.
Old 05-05-08, 11:18 AM
LexFather

The Teana is the Asian version of the Maxima.

Old 05-05-08, 02:28 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Teana is the Asian version of the Maxima.
but on completely different target markets. The Maxima's sporty, the Teana's theme is "designer's interior in a car"
Old 06-03-08, 02:11 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Default Nissan's all-new Teana luxury sedan makes its Japanese debut

Nissan's all-new Teana luxury sedan makes its Japanese debut

Nissan's redesigned Teana luxury sedan hit the streets of Japan today under the company's design philosophy of "SHIFT_hospitality," that the automaker says offers enhanced comfort, quietness and a more spacious cabin.

Designers penned a distinct sweeping bodyline that stretches the length of the car and have heavily redesigned the car's front and rear sections as well. The front grille, bumper and headlights are more streamlined compared to the previous generation Teana. New for the sedan are bi-xenon headlights that incorporate what Nissan calls an active adaptive front lighting system (AFS) that changes light patterns based on vehicle direction.

The rear bumper was designed to make the car appear to be bigger than it actually is and features Mercedes C-Class-esque, forward-sweeping taillights. Six exterior colors are available on the Teana that feature Nissan's Scratch Shield technology, which self-repairs minor scratches and helps to prevent future blemishes to the paint.

Nissan is offering three of its V-6 engines in the Teana, beginning with the 2.5-liter VQ25DE and QR25DE engines, followed by the 3.5-liter VQ35DE. All engines are mated to Nissan's Xtronic CVT (continuously variable transmission). The smaller displacement V-6 powerplants make 182 and 164 horsepower, respectively, while the larger 3.5-liter unit pumps out 248 horses.

The QR25DE engine will only be available to customers who opt for the four-wheel drive version Teana. Cars with the venerable VQ35DE engine under their hoods will feature a transmission that has a six-speed manual mode for an improved sporty feeling while driving the bigger sedan. Much attention was given to the interior of the Teana, with the goal of maintaining class-leading luxury without the higher end cost. Softer, double stitched leather has been used on all seats. The Teana's front passengers can be quickly cooled in hot weather with the available in-seat ventilation system.

Another interior comfort highlighted by Nissan is the front passenger Ottoman seat that provides extra support for the legs thanks to extending the lower cushioning. Also new is a glass roof similar to that found on the new Maxima that's designed to provide an open air feeling for front and rear passengers. Like Infiniti models found stateside, the Teana's premium sound system was designed by Bose for a 5.1-channel sound experience.

The Teana rides on Nissan's "D" platform (shared with the U.S. Maxima and Altima) that gives the car what Nissan calls a "flat" ride -- with the goal of producing a higher level of handling, stability and quietness often found in more expensive cars. The "D" platform is made of ultra-high tensile steel and utilizes an X-shaped cowl top structure for increased stiffness.

Nissan has initially earmarked 1000 redesigned Teanas to be built per month for Japanese market. There are currently no plans to bring the luxury sedan over our way any time soon.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6254124/au...but/index.html

Old 06-03-08, 07:17 AM
LexFather

I'll merge later, I started a thread on it. Basically their version of the Maxima. Nice interior.

Quick Reply: Nissan's all-new Teana luxury sedan makes its Japanese debut