Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Civic is the Best Selling Vehicle in the United States

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 09:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
I thought this generation Civic was a failure?

First car to outsell the Ford F-Series since 1991 and best selling car in all of North America for the month of May. Not too shabby for a failure, I guess.
It did take 2 years to beat the Corolla. Remember for quite sometime the OLD Corolla was outselling the new Civic.

Honda is known throughout America for small cars and efficiency, they will CLEARLY benefit with high gas and they seem prepared.

Old 06-04-08, 09:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Gas hitting and exceeding 4 bucks/gallon. Maybe $5 by end of year.
I think it could hit $5 by August. Then maybe go back later in the year.
Old 06-05-08, 04:15 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I consider the Civic one of the best cars available regardless of price. Excellent job Honda!

Regarding fuel efficiency perception, I think American perception is equel toward Honda and Toyota. However, Toyota does in fact have a hand full more of fuel efficient models than Honda. Toyota also either matches or beats Honda in almost every segment for mileage. Honda barely has any hybrids, Toyota has a whole bunch of them.

Honda's small cars: Civic line, Fit

Toyota's small cars: 2 Yaris's, Corolla, Matrix, xD, Prius
Old 06-05-08, 05:35 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC4
I consider the Civic one of the best cars available regardless of price. Excellent job Honda!

Regarding fuel efficiency perception, I think American perception is equel toward Honda and Toyota. However, Toyota does in fact have a hand full more of fuel efficient models than Honda. Toyota also either matches or beats Honda in almost every segment for mileage. Honda barely has any hybrids, Toyota has a whole bunch of them.

Honda's small cars: Civic line, Fit

Toyota's small cars: 2 Yaris's, Corolla, Matrix, xD, Prius
I agree, except I wouldn't say Toyota has "a whole bunch of hybrids" unless you're including Lexus (which are really just performance hybrids anyway). I count Honda 1 - Civic Hybrid // Toyota 2 - Prius + Highlander Hybrid. Am I forgetting any?
Old 06-05-08, 06:13 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

^camry hybrid and honda also has accord hybrid but accord hybrid is not doing as well as the camry.
Old 06-05-08, 06:38 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Even if I was still the huge Honda fan I was years ago, I would say that is definitely a stretch. One of the best cars available regardless of price? Hardly.

Yes, the Civic is a great car in its class and also for the price, but nothing more. It is not some sort of quality or engineering marvel.
Old 06-05-08, 06:47 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Even if I was still the huge Honda fan I was years ago, I would say that is definitely a stretch. One of the best cars available regardless of price? Hardly.

Yes, the Civic is a great car in its class and also for the price, but nothing more. It is not some sort of quality or engineering marvel.
Clearly working in favor of Civic, is that Consumer Reports did not downgrade it for defects as it did the Camry in it's Oct. 07 issue.

Also this helps Civic too:

• Consumer Reports: Honda makes the best cars

• The best cars you can buy in the United States are made by Honda, according to Consumer Reports. The is the second year in a row the Japanese automaker has been given the distinction.Honda (HMA) cars and trucks scored an overage of 78 out of a possible 100 points in Consumer Reports' various tests. Toyota (TM) came in second with 75 points followed by BMW, Mazda, Nissan and Volkswagen. (After rounding, Nissan and Volkswagen tied with 71 points.)"Honda earned the top score because it builds cars that are well-rounded, have excellent reliability and perform very well," the magazine, published by the not-for-profit Consumers Union, said in an announcement.
Old 06-05-08, 05:05 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Actually, I think it's more amazing that the Camry and Corolla are within each other's range. The Camry just cost more all across the board compared to the Corolla.

It's a feat for the Honda civic because it usually cost more than a comparable Corolla.
i will say the ONLY thing that appeals to every buyer about the civic, is fuel economy, its looks, both inside and out are all subjective to opinion...and there are alot out there that dont like them.

the 2008 civic prices are as follows:

2008 Honda Civic DX-1.8L R18 I-Vtec SOHC I-4
(Base, no AC, no auto, am FM radio w/ cassette, 8 airbags standard)

$17,900

2008 Honda Civic LX 1.8L R18 I-Vtec SOHC I-4
Steel Wheels w/hubcaps, avail A/C, Auto trans/windows/locks/cruise/tilt

$19,150

2008 Honda Civic EX: 1.8L R18 I-Vtec SOHC I-4
16" Wheels, A/C, auto trans, Available Navigation, 8 CD changer, AUX Input in stereo, Power Moonroof.

$20,140

2000 Honda Civic Si 2.0L K20ZA i-Vtec DOHC I-4
17" wheels, everything all models have except the hybrid + 6 spd manny, avail navi, body kit, spoiler, foglights, 204HP 2.0L I-4.

~$26,000

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid
Everything the EX has except the moonroof and the wheels. they hybrids have special wheels that way 8lbs each WITH special LRR tires...

$23,500

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 06-05-08 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 05:24 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Especially since Honda Canada has yet to drop the price. An EX-L is $24k! That used to be the price of a 1.7EL Premium. The LX-SR isn't that far behind at $22k. Still more expensive than a loaded Corolla LE with 10-way power driver's seat (10-way!!!!), one-touch power moonroof (guarantee you it's not one-touch on the Civic), smart key, auto A/C etc etc.
Old 06-05-08, 05:41 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for Honda! Although it'll be more objective to compare a full year of sales.
Old 06-05-08, 05:47 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

All Hondas and Toyota are best sellers cause they last so long and doesnt eat much gas.
Old 06-05-08, 06:54 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well they sure seem like engineering marvels compared to GM and FORD offerings.
Old 06-05-08, 07:26 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Especially since Honda Canada has yet to drop the price. An EX-L is $24k! That used to be the price of a 1.7EL Premium. The LX-SR isn't that far behind at $22k. Still more expensive than a loaded Corolla LE with 10-way power driver's seat (10-way!!!!), one-touch power moonroof (guarantee you it's not one-touch on the Civic), smart key, auto A/C etc etc.
ACTUALLY...it is...

sorry just had to rub it in.
Old 06-05-08, 07:54 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

No, it ain't no LS460, BUT it ...

- is one of the best looking designs out there IMO
- is among the top 10 most fuel efficient cars (hybrid even more so)
- is proven to be one of the most reliable cars made
- has one of the most ergonomically correct interiors
- handles like a go-kart
- comes in all kinds of variations
- sized just right - not too big, not too small

So for it's price, it excells in many areas that are now very important to consumers. It isn't the fastest or the most luxurious but it accomplishes so many needs so well. Therefore, I consider it among the best cars.
Old 06-05-08, 08:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

No, it ain't no LS460, BUT it ...

- is one of the best looking designs out there IMO
- is among the top 10 most fuel efficient cars (hybrid even more so)
- is proven to be one of the most reliable cars made
- has one of the most ergonomically correct interiors
- handles like a go-kart
- comes in all kinds of variations
- sized just right - not too big, not too small

So for it's price, it excells in many areas that are now very important to consumers. It isn't the fastest or the most luxurious but it accomplishes so many needs so well. Therefore, I consider it among the best cars.
I agree with some of the things you've said, and ultimately it is a great car even if I personally don't like the design or I don't like the way Honda does things these days.

But when you say "regardless of price" that changes things entirely.

Quick Reply: Honda Civic is the Best Selling Vehicle in the United States