Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear episode.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08 | 09:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im asian, and im afraid to go into the mid west.
The man love and gay pride monikers on Top Gear's cars go over better there in SF.
Old 06-04-08 | 10:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I (an Asian) once visited a small town in Mississippi during a cross-country trip.

My friend (who is white) left me to go shopping.

As I was left alone in the town center, I noticed people staring and pointing. As I got up from a bench to pick up something to eat, people actually ran away. Some shops closed their doors and windows. I went into a Subway restaurant where everyone stared at me. I walked back into the town center to eat, but was too uncomfortable to eat.

As soon as my friend got back, we left that town quickly.

I had never felt anything like that before...

Back to topic: yes, the South is a very scary place.
In Japan, people stared, and some 'reached out and touched me' (for real) in elevators and on the subway to see if I was real I guess. At 6'3" I kinda stood out.

I didn't find it scary... a little strange though!

Oh, and you ARE a little scary.
Old 06-04-08 | 10:14 PM
SpecC
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The man love and gay pride monikers on Top Gear's cars go over better there in SF.
i think they'd get tons of cheers in the castro district :laugh:
Old 06-04-08 | 11:05 PM
RXSF

to whoever asked about an american version.

there is going to be one, with jay leno as one of the hosts. its still not going to be the same. theres something about how they, as british, make jokes about americans that make it so damn funny.
Old 06-05-08 | 12:59 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

You know, no matter how many times I to go El Toro marine base, I can never see anything being test driven. So eventually I gave up =/
Old 06-05-08 | 07:46 AM
Matters
Pole Position

Paint a "Gay Pride" moniker on the side of a car and drive to some parts of rural Australia and you're going to cop abuse for sure. There are reprobates and simpletons in every country. Clarkson knows that hence his freqent put-downs of the English "Chavs". They wanted to provoke a reaction so as to play on a stereotype. It was done very effectively and is great comedy. It cannot, however, be seen as a serious commentary of the US. Really, it's just a bit of gentle ridiculing of a good friend.

And yes the humour is school boy at times, but I think most of us rogues are smart enough to know that you can laugh at and engage in that sort of humour without being defined by it intellectually. To my mind, Top Gear caters to the 12 year old in all of us! And as I age, I am thankful to have that respite from time to time.

PS in the spirit of this debate I wrote a "GO OBAMA" message on my friend from Alabama's Facebook page. I note that all her friends are from Arkansas, Alabama and Tennessee. Let's see whether the stereotype has any credibility!!