Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear episode.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 07:15 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Gear episode.

I don't know how old this episode was, but did you guys catch the one where they came to the US and had to buy a car in Miami for $1000 then try and sell it in Louisiana? You know how they always do goofy challenges along the way. One was to not get shot or killed while drawing attention to the other persons car. Anyway, if you saw that show it really is amazing and how crazy Americans can be. I mean, they literally ran the Top Gear crew our of town, then at the end the lawyer tried to sue them for giving away the cars In Miami the used car lot owner shows off his guns like its nothing, then goes on to say how the owner down the street got shot 5 times, but he killed the other guy. I mean, when you sit back and think about it, and observe the behaviors of people in that show its kind of sad that this is really the America we live in for the most part.

PS. I was laughing my butt off throughout the show though. Crazy but funny stuff.
Old 06-03-08, 07:17 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe this a repost,

But i watched it last night and seen it like a million times on youtube.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0NZ80ch0bwI

When they went into the Alabama? Hick town they were proud to be hicks and were litterly going to kill them if they stayed a minute longer.

I too laughed when i saw the episode as the challenge was to get the other driver shot first

Phil said this was his favorite episode

Last edited by ExTrEmE99; 06-03-08 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added youtube link
Old 06-03-08, 07:21 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i belive it was 2 seasons ago? you did notice they didnt like grab a cheep japanese make car... the bastards
Old 06-03-08, 07:28 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disclaimer - I don't find Top Gear to be anywhere near as funny as they think they are. I watched that episode too a while back. If you recall, part of their "entertainment" was to paint things on their cars that were supposed to get them shot. Maybe to me I just thought Moe, Larry, and Curly Clarkson were just being their usual "too clever by half" selves, but there are people who do take things in life somewhat seriously. I can tell you that there are a few things that you could return the favor with in the UK about the Queen and the quality of their soccer teams that might not get you shot, but it sure as heck is going to get you a hospital stay.

Be funny with cars, be funny with each other (Clarkson and Hammond giggling like schoolgirls while they do some assinine thing to May just never gets tiresome) but leave insulting people hoping to provoke a reaction and then attempting to prove your superiority after you get the reaction to Survivor and the Donald. I'm beginning to get to the point where when Clarkson is inevitably showing his extensive driving ability while smoking up tires (that he doesn't have to pay for) on a runway in some 750hp exotic, all I can see is Harry Potter when Clarkson uses "brilliant" thirty times in a row. Actually, Clarkson is just like HP but without the maturity to me. Just not entertaining to me.
Old 06-03-08, 07:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. It was funny.
Old 06-03-08, 07:42 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i absolutely love top gear. this is one of the better challenges. also you would enjoy the polar special and the african special.
Old 06-03-08, 07:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
i absolutely love top gear. this is one of the better challenges. also you would enjoy the polar special and the african special.
I saw the African one. I usually have to catch all the reruns on the BBCA due to work schedule and I really have no clue when the current ones comes on anyway.
Old 06-03-08, 08:00 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

during the top gear season, people usually post it on youtube by the next day. the season usually starts in june and ends in december.

Last edited by RXSF; 06-03-08 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 08:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love it!
Old 06-03-08, 08:03 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

haha i bittorrent it the day it comes out YARR!!! RAISE THE COLORS!!!
Old 06-03-08, 09:15 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got all the eps from the 03? it's new first season... there's old Top Gear, which is just plain boring, they've changed to much funnier during these 2 years.

The American eps is not my favorite, I'm not American and there's many things that may not be real, like they have to eat a cow? neh, must've gotten other stuff, lawyers suing them? they didn't have evidence, I mean they said they "turned off the camera" right.....

Actually when they do the news, funny moments pops up big time.

BTW, my fav would be season 10, eps 3, about 599, Bugatti vs Eurofighter, RR drophead...

Just keep in mind what you're watching is not really a car reviewing program, it's just an entertainment program about cars.
Old 06-03-08, 09:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,432 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by RON430
Disclaimer - I don't find Top Gear to be anywhere near as funny as they think they are.
Sometimes their acting like 9 year olds gets a bit old so I know what you mean.

I can tell you that there are a few things that you could return the favor with in the UK about the Queen and the quality of their soccer teams that might not get you shot, but it sure as heck is going to get you a hospital stay.
True, wear an Arsenal 'football' club shirt with "Chelsea sucks" on the back and go into the stands at a Chelsea match and see if you come out unharmed (no way).

Clarkson in particular waves the British flag too much, taking cheap shots at anything 'European' (you do know most Brits don't consider themselves part of Europe, right?), particularly French and German (still rehashing WWII and earlier cliches), and shows special condescension to and likes to ridicule all things American so he can feel superior. The U.S. is not a perfect place, and the movie Deliverance was not the best PR piece and it's true, it you go into very rural parts of the U.S. it will feel like you went into a backward time warp, but for all the igorance of the 'outside world' and some repugnant attitudes and views, you also find the kindest people imaginable. But that wouldn't be funny to Clarkson or fit his elitist view.

I do get a chuckle out of the show in general, but did think this one in the U.S. was a very cheap shot for laughs. Now the one on caravaning in England was very funny to me though - the Brits are madly into the cheap vacation of towing those cheesy living quarter trailers behind their little cars. Even my friends over there who can afford to vacation on the south of France instead do it!

... leave insulting people hoping to provoke a reaction and then attempting to prove your superiority after you get the reaction to Survivor and the Donald.
Agreed, although you mean the Apprentice?

I'm beginning to get to the point where when Clarkson is inevitably showing his extensive driving ability while smoking up tires (that he doesn't have to pay for) on a runway in some 750hp exotic, all I can see is Harry Potter when Clarkson uses "brilliant" thirty times in a row. Actually, Clarkson is just like HP but without the maturity to me. Just not entertaining to me.
Part of it I think is they can't really get away with going fast on public roads. I'd rather see The Stig test the car than Clarkson though.

And why does BBCA insist on running over and over 2 year old shows!? I don't get it.
Old 06-03-08, 09:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,432 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I saw the African one.
That was great, and informative and one of the reasons I love Top Gear is the amazing scenery and also AMAZING camera work and editing of the outdoor segments.
Old 06-03-08, 10:50 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I saw it last night and although entertaining I think it was complete BS and they just paid people off to act like that or cooperate with them or they instigated it more then they showed. For one thing it was a little difficult to read some of the things on the car and the lady suddenly getting angry because it said NASCAR is rubbish and then calling the good ole boys who shortly showed up in a pickup who threw rocks at them and chased them down seemed very far fetched and more or less just a play on stereotypes about the South done for entertainment. I am sure people just ignored them and did not pay any attention to what was written on their cars which is why they probrably had to ask the people to act like that for the show. Also they would most likely have gotten robbed and beat up if Clarkson went into the crime ridden ghetto with 1K dollars to buy a car from some shady guy. He always takes cheap shots at Americans and America and they try to portray everyone who lives between LA and New York City are a bunch of violent backwards hicks which shows he has no clue about this country and is just playing into stereotypes. Top Gear is still entertaining and I look forward to watching it on the BBC every week but I wish they would ease up on their politics and bashing every country that isn't England.
Old 06-04-08, 11:28 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...
gas was $2.75 a gallon!
it was hilarious... but sad at the same time. im confused.

Quick Reply: Top Gear episode.