Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey (IQS) 2008 results

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 12:31 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Strange.....BMWattics are very very quiet. Scion should be discontinued IMO.
I have a BMW... I'm not being quiet.

I don't know anyone here with a BMW that believes it would score as well as Toyota/Lexus in quality or reliability ratings. Most of them just feel that the added driving excitement is worth the added glitches with the cars. I've already had three issues with my 335i... sun roof pinch protection sensor failed and disabled sunroof... some sort of weather stripping in the driver's side door came loose and caused the window to make a lot of noise going up and down (And auto-up/down stopped working also)... and a bad buzzing noise whenever the driver's side door speaker played certain bass frequencies. Oh and when I first bought it the keyless entry didn't work reliably the first day or two... I had to put the key in the door, but was told that it was just because the key wasn't charged up. It hasn't happened since then.

Also the 335i I took on a test drive before I got mine actually refused to shift higher than 4th gear until I parked it, shut it off, and restarted it. That transmission must be running windows.

Also let's be real here... what's really the difference between Lexus at 99 and BMW at 126? 27%? So the 'POS' BMW brand is a whopping 27% more problematic in the first 90 days than the ultra reliable Lexus brand? That doesn't sound that significant.

So if each Lexus driver has 1 problem in the first 90 days, then we can assume that 3 out of 4 BMW driver's will have only 1 problem as well and the 4th driver will have 2 problems.

Last edited by Threxx; 06-05-08 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 12:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Dodge Durango and Dakota? Give me a break.

Have you guys actually seen how Dodges are built today....and the materials they use?
Old 06-05-08, 01:38 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
imho i consider that a "slip" for toyota/lexus. i expect them to do better
It's "initial" quality--1st 90 days. It's more fluff than anything--the Dodge Durango was the winner for mid-sized SUV, for pete's sake!
Old 06-05-08, 01:40 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
I find that funny about the EX35 too. People have said that it is sorta like a G wagon or something.
I saw one in the parking lot the other day--it's a hatchback, NOT an SUV.
Old 06-05-08, 02:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's "initial" quality--1st 90 days. It's more fluff than anything--the Dodge Durango was the winner for mid-sized SUV, for pete's sake!
so? imho lexus should have done better even in the first 90 days, seeing their quality as of late
Old 06-05-08, 05:36 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I have a BMW... I'm not being quiet.

I don't know anyone here with a BMW that believes it would score as well as Toyota/Lexus in quality or reliability ratings. Most of them just feel that the added driving excitement is worth the added glitches with the cars. I've already had three issues with my 335i... sun roof pinch protection sensor failed and disabled sunroof... some sort of weather stripping in the driver's side door came loose and caused the window to make a lot of noise going up and down (And auto-up/down stopped working also)... and a bad buzzing noise whenever the driver's side door speaker played certain bass frequencies. Oh and when I first bought it the keyless entry didn't work reliably the first day or two... I had to put the key in the door, but was told that it was just because the key wasn't charged up. It hasn't happened since then.

Also the 335i I took on a test drive before I got mine actually refused to shift higher than 4th gear until I parked it, shut it off, and restarted it. That transmission must be running windows.

Also let's be real here... what's really the difference between Lexus at 99 and BMW at 126? 27%? So the 'POS' BMW brand is a whopping 27% more problematic in the first 90 days than the ultra reliable Lexus brand? That doesn't sound that significant.

So if each Lexus driver has 1 problem in the first 90 days, then we can assume that 3 out of 4 BMW driver's will have only 1 problem as well and the 4th driver will have 2 problems.
The transmission is messing up? how many miles do you have if you don't mind me asking? Have you tried to lemon the car and see what you can get out of it?

The problem with all german auto makers is they have the same vendors for most of their cars. If you notice their technology is a couple of years behind the japs such as, touch screen navi...just this year VW introduced touch screen navi or even ventilated seats which are only an option in the 7 series and in a few packages in the E and S class Mercedes. I know its a cliche' but alot of Mercedes and BMW owners buy the car for the name, even if the car had a label that says LEMON LAW on the car I can gurantee you there will be someone willing to take the risk of that car because of the badge it has and not the peace of mind you can get with reliability.
Old 06-05-08, 05:47 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

The transmission is messing up? how many miles do you have if you don't mind me asking? Have you tried to lemon the car and see what you can get out of it?

The problem with all german auto makers is they have the same vendors for most of their cars. If you notice their technology is a couple of years behind the japs such as, touch screen navi...just this year VW introduced touch screen navi or even ventilated seats which are only an option in the 7 series and in a few packages in the E and S class Mercedes. I know its a cliche' but alot of Mercedes and BMW owners buy the car for the name, even if the car had a label that says LEMON LAW on the car I can gurantee you there will be someone willing to take the risk of that car because of the badge it has and not the peace of mind you can get with reliability.
Can't argue with the brand buyers but there are a few people that put up with the poorer reliability for the ride/handling. Pretty much the reason why bringing a Lexus to a sport sedan comparo is like bringing the fabled knife to a gun fight. Maybe the IS-F can dispute that remark in some areas but it still isn't close to defining the class. Even bimmer has gotten up reliability up to the point where CR gives them some recommended buys. As for MB doing well in this JD Power survey, well it would be nice to think of them improving. If the Panamera isn't as ugly as I fear it might be, that is going to be interesting as well. Choice is good.
Old 06-05-08, 06:40 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

It wasn't my car that had the issue. The brand new 335i I test drove before I decided to get my car had a computer glitch that would not allow it to shift beyond 4th gear until we stopped and started the car's motor. After that it was fine.

The Germans do seem to be behind the times in technology in some instances, but not at all in others.

I don't think touch screen navi is necessarily better or worse than joystick controlled navi inset into the dash. Acura seems to be agreeing with this sentiment as well with its latest redesigns.
Old 06-05-08, 11:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RON430
Can't argue with the brand buyers but there are a few people that put up with the poorer reliability for the ride/handling. Pretty much the reason why bringing a Lexus to a sport sedan comparo is like bringing the fabled knife to a gun fight. Maybe the IS-F can dispute that remark in some areas but it still isn't close to defining the class. Even bimmer has gotten up reliability up to the point where CR gives them some recommended buys. As for MB doing well in this JD Power survey, well it would be nice to think of them improving. If the Panamera isn't as ugly as I fear it might be, that is going to be interesting as well. Choice is good.
IS-F is truly the best of both worlds.

People kind of know for the most part their BMW won't be perfect, which is fine, as stated they have other better merits. Its not like they are at the bottom, where some brands have lied for AGES

Old 06-05-08, 11:30 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No, they are not at the bottom, but in this survey they are below average. There was mention earlier of Acura being lower than Honda, which is true, but it was only one spot below average. BMW was five spots below, and also behind Volvo, Nissan, Acura, Buick, Cadillac, Jaguar, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus etc., working up the list. Looks like Audi made big strides in intiial quality, Mercedes continues the progress of last year.
Old 06-06-08, 05:27 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Well... in theory it is aside from its no so great ride. Also, reliability isn't proven yet and if you have seen the IS-F's motor with the plastic cover taken off the top that thing looks like a NIGHTMARE to even perform the simplest tasks on.

I think in the end your statement will be true... I'm just saying it's not quite a for sure thing.
Old 06-06-08, 10:06 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

People kind of know for the most part their BMW won't be perfect, which is fine, as stated they have other better merits. Its not like they are at the bottom, where some brands have lied for AGES
Sometimes you want the compromise. Sometimes you don't. Does Lexus break the IS-F out in the sales figures? Just curious.
Old 06-06-08, 10:13 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

*Cue scary music*

Old 06-06-08, 10:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RON430
Sometimes you want the compromise. Sometimes you don't. Does Lexus break the IS-F out in the sales figures? Just curious.
No they don't, not to the public.

Old 06-06-08, 12:08 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

No they don't, not to the public.
Then after the initial sales, it's going to be tough to figure out how they are doing with it. I figured they didn't break it out. Not sure but I don't think anyone breaks out their factory tuner cars.

Quick Reply: J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey (IQS) 2008 results