Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 11:21 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The new Maxima is without a doubt one of the best looking sedans on the market. It is one of my favorite sedan designs. I think it is better looking then the G37 and M. It looks better then most higher end luxury sedans. Unfortunately the interior is not very good unless you get the top spec interior with the simulated wood and better dash design which looks decent and very Infiniti like. The thick steering wheel is very nice.

I have read from several publications that they have not really tamed the torque steer very well or as well as most other powerful fwd cars which is disappointing given its sporting aspirations. Most seem to say it is not all that great of a sports sedan or really engaging to drive despite the great looks and power. It is also pretty expensive too and in a unique class slightly above Accords, Camry's but below entry level lux cars like a Avalon but it has done pretty well this time around which I am sure due to its great head turning looks. If they can address the driving dynamics, tame the torque steer, and update the interior with a nicer look and better materials it would be a home run.
Torque steer may never go away in FWD. I've driven it and it's no worse than most other cars with FWD unless you just floor it from a stand still.

I rate the Maxima above the typical Accord/Camry/Avalon in both design and performance. But none of them touch it as far as appeal (in my book).
Old 12-15-09, 11:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Sorry, sales prove otherwise.
Yup. Not even close.

November sales: 4,995 Maxima 1,751 Genesis
YTD sales: 47,931 Maxima 19,535 Genesis
Old 12-15-09, 11:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If the Maxima was RWD it would kill the G37 sedan. I think it looks nicer. The almost 300 hp and fwd makes me see images of toque steer on corner exit from stand still. I am sure like Lexus and Acura they have designed a means to reduce the torque steer
Old 12-17-09, 01:37 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO

For a Nissan that is made/built in America, this Maxima works. That and the Altima are IMHO the two best Nissan vehicles coming from a factory in America. Indeed, these are force to reckoned with.

Unfortunately, those cars are not sold in my country officially so it's kinda sad. With that in mind, since we don't have Altima or Maxima here (officially), we just make do with this:

The J32

Oh and if you don't like beige and/or wood, there is always piano black + carbon + black seats (or something like that).

Though unfortunately, this interior trim option is for Australia and New Zealand ONLY (as of the current time). For selection and intent order, you have to make a request to Nissan Japan in order to have this on the car you ordered.
Old 12-17-09, 01:46 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

The Maxima is definitely impressive, but I like the Teana better. The new Maxima and Fuga (Infiniti M) are too curvy on the side profile.
Old 12-17-09, 03:22 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Blackraven, they sell the latest Teana in the Philippines already? Last I heard it was still the previous generation Teana. NMPI is terribly awful in releasing Nissan's latest products...its no wonder Nissan is weak in the country.
Old 12-17-09, 09:23 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superchan7
The Maxima is definitely impressive, but I like the Teana better. The new Maxima and Fuga (Infiniti M) are too curvy on the side profile.
Both vehicles plus the Altima and a few other Nissan vehicles are nice.

With that said, I think they dropped the "Cefiro" name over there so I guess all J32 that are sold in Hong Kong and Macau use the "TEANA" nameplate. It's only in Australia and New Zealand where the car is given the Maxima name.

A bit of FYI there

Originally Posted by lex-phil
Blackraven, they sell the latest Teana in the Philippines already? Last I heard it was still the previous generation Teana. NMPI is terribly awful in releasing Nissan's latest products...its no wonder Nissan is weak in the country.
NMPI has three units for testing and evaluation purposes (arrived from Japan since April 2009). They're all in the Santa Rosa Laguna facility.

Unfortunately, there is no word as to when the car will actually launch (I'm presuming they're getting ride of existing stock of the J31 I suppose). Nevertheless, I do hope they launch it ASAP.

I say that cause if I were to choose between

This

or

J32

I'd definitely choose the J32 hands-down. For the Honda, only J35 i-VTEC engine (with VCM cylinder deactivation system) is the only thing worth mentioning in that car. Everything else (especially exterior design) is not too my liking.

So yeah, the J32 gets my vote more.

P.S.
They mention that NMPI will import the New Murano next year but unfortunately, they are having trouble securing orders as priority is given to American, Middle East, Russian, European and Australian markets. For us in the Philippines, we have to wait for a while.
Old 12-17-09, 10:00 PM
LexFather

[QUOTE=Blackraven;5081609]IMHO

For a Nissan that is made/built in America, this Maxima works. That and the Altima are IMHO the two best Nissan vehicles coming from a factory in America. Indeed, these are force to reckoned with.

Unfortunately, those cars are not sold in my country officially so it's kinda sad. With that in mind, since we don't have Altima or Maxima here (officially), we just make do with this:

The J32

Last edited by LexFather; 12-18-09 at 12:15 AM.

Old 12-17-09, 11:45 PM
madoka
Pole Position

sicklex, can you edit your post so as not to requote all those pics?