Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 02:08 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
TDR, I can only respectfully disagree with you. I think if you took away those features you mention it loses most of its character. In other words, it just becomes another typical Asian car design.
As I said, this new Maxima is distinctive, but that doesn't mean it looks good. It's a "love it or hate it" design. The problem is, having a "love it or hate it" design usually means inconsistent and volatile sales. Cars that have styling which appeals to the majority tend to have more consistent sales over the life of the car.
Old 03-18-08, 02:24 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

The interior looks exactly like Infiniti, but thats definitely a positive given their previous attempts at the interior. Personally I'm more inclined to buy it because of the resemblance. I'd probably take this car over anything else in its class based on the VQ alone. It will probably be a detuned VQHR making close to 300hp.
Old 03-18-08, 02:30 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
As I said, this new Maxima is distinctive, but that doesn't mean it looks good. It's a "love it or hate it" design. The problem is, having a "love it or hate it" design usually means inconsistent and volatile sales. Cars that have styling which appeals to the majority tend to have more consistent sales over the life of the car.
Maybe that's why it appeals to me. I prefer something with a definite attitude. In my opinion anything that has has any real personality is, by nature, going to polarizing. I mean, Jack Nicholson ain't everybody's cup of tea. But there's no denying that the guy is strong coffee.

Things designed for mass-appeal don't usually connect with me. Things with some measure of defiant boldness do. But I respect your position anyway.
Old 03-18-08, 02:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Maybe that's why it appeals to me. I prefer something with a definite attitude. In my opinion anything that has has any real personality is, by nature, going to polarizing. I mean, Jack Nicholson ain't everybody's cup of tea. But there's no denying that the guy is strong coffee.

Things designed for mass-appeal don't usually connect with me. Things with some measure of defiant boldness do. But I respect your position anyway.
I have nothing against unique styling, just that this doesn't appeal to me. I don't really focus too much on whether it's designed for the masses or designed to stand out personally. I simply like whatever appeals to me. In the full-size sedan segment, nothing strongly appeals to me, but if I had to choose it would be an Avalon.

"Character" seems to be a word thrown around by a lot of enthusiasts, but it's a relative term. A car designed for the masses can have "character". It all depends on what your definition of "character" is.
Old 03-18-08, 03:41 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Well its still far away from the good looks of the 3/4th gen models (I'm biased ), but thank goodness it doesnt look as bad as the current gen. I actually like it again. ANd hopefully this car can bring back the aftermarket for the Maxima line as it straight up depleted when the current gen was introduced.

I highly doubt the manual transmission will make it back unless I missed that somewhere, but Im happy to see the Toyota Hybrid system make an appearance (lol) as well as a diesel option. A great trio!!! The hybrid/diesel versions might just become a new DD for me in the future.

But once again, this car basically has the same center stack as a $65K Infiniti M45. They really need to stop that. (though it does look nice)
Old 03-18-08, 04:18 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
the interior of the maxima looks to "infiniti-ish". i think they are crossing a line that shouldnt be crossed
i agree.

that center stack control **** should be exclusive to infiniti.
Old 03-18-08, 05:27 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how about gtr style

Last edited by dunnojack; 03-18-08 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 05:34 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
how about gtr style
Lulz.
That scheme however does a better job flattering the headlights. They'll probably grow on me over time.
Old 03-18-08, 06:33 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
how about gtr style
LOL! Thanks for that. I actually kinda like it.
Old 03-18-08, 06:41 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

I like the photoshopped version LOL
Old 03-18-08, 06:57 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Nissan going make this Max a 6 or 7 speed Auto. Or keep the same 5 speed.
Old 03-18-08, 06:58 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a Bangle butt on that car?? The once controversial BMW styling seems to be popping up on every car nowadays.
Old 03-18-08, 08:32 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn! Nissan just picked up some styling tips! Talk about gorgeous interior...Step up for Nissan!!

The only thing I dont like about it is the Yaris-like rear end.
Old 03-19-08, 04:00 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TJW98LS

The only thing I dont like about it is the Yaris-like rear end.

You see it too, lol. The first thing I thought when I saw the first rear shot posted on page 2 was Yaris sedan except that the Nissan's lights are more dramatic.

Can someone post up a side by side rear shot of the new Maxima and Yaris (silver). I can't seem to get both pics posted together.
Old 03-19-08, 06:33 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

More pics

Quick Reply: 2009 Nissan Maxima