Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 07:00 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now thats different. I actually really like it, it looks like Infiniti material. What did they do fire the last design team, wow what a change from that outgoing turd.
Old 03-19-08, 11:26 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Some other colors:

Old 03-19-08, 11:26 AM
LexFather

I really like the pics. Dimensions are smaller than the last gen. This day and age, its hard to be very original but IMO, they pulled off a good looking car. Very curvy, the only part that seems out of place is the Infinitish grill, which is flat and not curvy. Interior is a HUGE step up, but again, they are just crapping on Infiniti.

Exterior/Interior could be an Infiniti. Why they continue to blend the two brands is beyond me.

Old 03-19-08, 11:29 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad nissan went with a regular sunroof.
Old 03-19-08, 11:31 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

The front end looks very Q45-ish in my opinion. Overall not bad. The inside looks very similar to G35's interior. I wouldn't call it good looking, but very luxurious looking and very high class. Another FWD cheaper 5-series sedan besides the new Honda Accord sedan.

Last edited by TwiBlueG35; 03-19-08 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-19-08, 11:37 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

my brother has a 03, my dad and I both have an 07. I really like the body style of the 09
Old 03-19-08, 11:38 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I really like the pics. Dimensions are smaller than the last gen. This day and age, its hard to be very original but IMO, they pulled off a good looking car. Very curvy, the only part that seems out of place is the Infinitish grill, which is flat and not curvy. Interior is a HUGE step up, but again, they are just crapping on Infiniti.

Exterior/Interior could be an Infiniti. Why they continue to blend the two brands is beyond me.
A loaded Maxima is more expensive than a base G35 sedan, that's why.
Old 03-19-08, 11:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
A loaded Maxima is more expensive than a base G35 sedan, that's why.
That is an awful reason.

Old 03-19-08, 11:45 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I think that the Infiniti influence definitely puts a positive glow on the Maxima. I guess that the person who has bought a Maxima will aspire to move up the food chain to an Infiniti the next time they purchase. We'll have to see if there is some negative impact on Infiniti as a result of this new Maxima.

It's similar to the clash that is probably happening between the Avalon and the ES350. The Avalon has a near Lexus level interior, is front drive and actually roomier than the ES. I can see a few folks opting for the Toyota over the Lexus.
Old 03-19-08, 12:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
I think that the Infiniti influence definitely puts a positive glow on the Maxima. I guess that the person who has bought a Maxima will aspire to move up the food chain to an Infiniti the next time they purchase. We'll have to see if there is some negative impact on Infiniti as a result of this new Maxima.

It's similar to the clash that is probably happening between the Avalon and the ES350. The Avalon has a near Lexus level interior, is front drive and actually roomier than the ES. I can see a few folks opting for the Toyota over the Lexus.
Thing is looking at pics, you are not moving up the interior food chain, from Maxima to G35, which is problem. I am sure people choose the Avalon over the ES but the two can't be confused inside or out. Does the Avalon have an interior on par with the ES? That is debatable but at least they don't LOOK similar.

That said, I really like the looks of the Maxima inside and out and it REALLY makes the last gen look bad inside and out. I am positive this will be a huge hit for Nissan once the price holds.

For comparisons sake. I'm just elated the interiors are 10 times better than the ones 5 years ago. All luxury brands interior share similar cues for the most part.

Old 03-19-08, 12:25 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Thing is looking at pics, you are not moving up the interior food chain, from Maxima to G35, which is problem. I am sure people choose the Avalon over the ES but the two can't be confused inside or out. Does the Avalon have an interior on par with the ES? That is debatable but at least they don't LOOK similar.

That said, I really like the looks of the Maxima inside and out and it REALLY makes the last gen look bad inside and out. I am positive this will be a huge hit for Nissan once the price holds.

For comparisons sake. I'm just elated the interiors are 10 times better than the ones 5 years ago. All luxury brands interior share similar cues for the most part.

I can definitely see your point. But I would certainly love to have a Maxima with an Infiniti level interior. I just may finally trade my 02 Max in for one of these.
Old 03-19-08, 12:27 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWD vs RWD
Some people don't care but I would.
It's growing on me (the headlights). It's not bad looking at all, in different colors. The grille is a little too squarish but I could look past that since the Accord has a similar grille.
Old 03-19-08, 12:39 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The interior looks so plush. I want to sit in one right now and try it out. I like the bucket seat-ish rear seats. The thing that still drives me nuts is the headlights and it just curves in then sticks out on the bottom outside part of it.
Old 03-19-08, 01:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The exterior definitely has a bit of a G35 resemblance. The interior is good for the Maxima, but it's bad for Infiniti. It makes Infiniti products look bad if you can get the same interior on a Nissan. I thought Nissan said that new Infiniti models would have greater differentiation from Nissan models, but it looks like that's not the case. It's bad enough that the G35 sedan looks so similar to the previous gen, but now the Maxima has a similar interior to it. It also doesn't help Infiniti that the Maxima has an identical steering wheel as the new FX, save for the Infiniti badge.

I don't see the comparison with the Avalon and ES. The two interiors look dramatically different, and the exteriors don't resemble each other.

I can see the new Maxima possibly taking some Genesis V6 sales, especially with that Infiniti-like interior.

I really think that the mixing of Nissan/Infiniti interiors right now has made things a bit of a mess. Looking at the above pics SICK posted, I'm having trouble telling which interior goes with what model, and I'm a car guy! The general public will have an even worse time. Again it should mean good impressions for Nissan models, but bad impressions for the Infiniti models.
Old 03-19-08, 01:46 PM
carguy101
Lead Lap

Specs are out. 2009 Max will have 290 hp.

Quick Reply: 2009 Nissan Maxima