Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 03:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

290HP differentiates it from the Altima, but it moves it even closer to the G35. Nissan needs to put the 3.7L VQ into the G35 sedan ASAP to move it further away from the Maxima.

Rear-view monitor, Hard drive-based Navi with XM Navtraffic are options.

Maxima fans hoping for more sportiness will be dissapointed with the transmission. A CVT is the only choice.

As for the dimensions, yes it is smaller than the previous gen Maxima but it also has a smaller wheelbase. The wheelbase is 1.9 inches shorter, so the long overhangs are not just an illusion.
Old 03-19-08, 03:35 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy hood budge! how much hp does that add?
Old 03-19-08, 03:44 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy101
Specs are out. 2009 Max will have 290 hp.
So it's going to have 3.7
Old 03-19-08, 03:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
So it's going to have 3.7
No, it's a 290HP 3.5L VQ.
Old 03-19-08, 03:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I really like this, and Im not a manual tranny w**&%*, but its just sooooo awkward to offer a Maxima without one. Could you imagine if BMW stopped offering a manual on its 3-series?? Thats how I feel about the Maxima. Poor decision IMO to keep doing this with the new generation.

And again as I pointed out in that FX thread last month and some have pointed out here, I honestly cant tell which interiors all of the nissan/infiniti branded cars belong to. Its ridiculous that they share the same center console design. Its really nice, but enough is enough already. Good for Maxima owners, bad for M45 owners.

Last edited by GFerg; 03-19-08 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 03:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Also it is nice that it is smaller, than the previous generation which was way to big. As it stands for me without driving it or reading any reviews, bring back the 4DSC seems like more marketing crap than anything else.

I know when the new Altima came out last year it was said that it was bigger than the current Maxima. With them shrinking it for "09, is it now even smaller than the Altima??
Old 03-19-08, 03:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
I really like this, and Im not a manual tranny w**&%*, but its just sooooo awkward to offer a Maxima without one. Could you imagine if BMW stopped offering a manual on its 3-series?? Thats how I feel about the Maxima. Poor decision IMO to keep doing this with the new generation.

And again as I pointed out in that FX thread last month and some have pointed out here I honestly cant tell which interiors all of these cars belong too its ridiculous that Nissan/Infiniti's share the same center console design. Its really nice, but enough is enough already. Good for Maxima owners, bad for M45 owners.
I'm not even that big of a Maxima fan, and even I know that offering a manual on the Maxima is key. Most Maxima fans and enthusiasts expect to see a manual. So much for the whole "4 Door Sports Coupe" thing that Nissan is pushing.

I totally agree with the interiors:

If you take off the badges on the steering wheels, I highly doubt that most consumers will be able to tell which interior belongs to what vehicle.
Old 03-19-08, 04:05 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
even I know that offering a manual on the Maxima is key. Most Maxima fans and enthusiasts expect to see a manual. So much for the whole "4 Door Sports Coupe" thing that Nissan is pushing.
Yes we do!! And it disgusts me.

If you take off the badges on the steering wheels, I highly doubt that most consumers will be able to tell which interior belongs to what vehicle.
One of them has the little analog clock in the middle!! How could you miss that Infiniti design trait!!!
Old 03-19-08, 08:33 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

I'm not even that big of a Maxima fan, and even I know that offering a manual on the Maxima is key. Most Maxima fans and enthusiasts expect to see a manual. So much for the whole "4 Door Sports Coupe" thing that Nissan is pushing.

I totally agree with the interiors:

Although similar in appearance, I'm sure the quality will be different. You can tell in the Maxima pics that the dash, wood and leather are made of cheaper material. IMO Infiniti interiors are beautiful and ergonomic. They will win over more buyers who were concerned about the cheap flimsy interiors of its previous model. I dont think Maxima buyers cross shop with the M almost costing twice the price. Props to Nissan for stepping it up on the interior.
Old 03-19-08, 08:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeSC4
Although similar in appearance, I'm sure the quality will be different. You can tell in the Maxima pics that the dash, wood and leather are made of cheaper material. IMO Infiniti interiors are beautiful and ergonomic. They will win over more buyers who were concerned about the cheap flimsy interiors of its previous model. I dont think Maxima buyers cross shop with the M almost costing twice the price. Props to Nissan for stepping it up on the interior.
That doesn't change the fact that the center stack and steering wheel is nearly identical in both models. Nobody said that the Maxima would be cross-shopped with the M. By the way, that is the new FX interior, not the M. What is highly likely though is that the Maxima could be cross-shopped with the G35.
Old 03-19-08, 09:13 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

That doesn't change the fact that the center stack and steering wheel is nearly identical in both models. Nobody said that the Maxima would be cross-shopped with the M. By the way, that is the new FX interior, not the M. What is highly likely though is that the Maxima could be cross-shopped with the G35.

Well let's just see what happens then. Let Nissan work out its strategy between itself and Infiniti. None of that adds or detracts from the fact that, from this distance, this Maxima is a damn nice car. The only things in the class which could legitimately compete with it are mid-lux cars like the G (although that's is the true oddball of the group I list due to it's RWD config), ES350, and Acura TL. That's smart company.
Old 03-19-08, 09:41 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

hmm....very interesting can not wait till it actually comes out on the road
Old 03-19-08, 09:48 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Great effort by Nissan. I want to love this car, but the headlights are driving me nuts! I hate the bottom eye-lash looking part of it. Other than that, i hope it does well for Nissan.
Old 03-19-08, 11:34 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NY Auto Show: 2009 Nissan Maxima

New York, New York - Nissan North America has unveiled the all-new 2009 Nissan Maxima at the New York International Auto Show. The seventh generation of Nissan's flagship performance sedan features new exterior and interior designs and enhanced performance, and will go on sale in early summer of 2008.

The new exterior design of the new Maxima includes an aggressive stance and powerful fender design, partly resulting from a slight reduction in wheelbase and overall length, along with a wider front and rear track. Inside, the Maxima features a special driver's sport seat, available leather seating, offset shifter lever, "Daylight Illumination" gauges and a wide range of available technology, including a premium audio system, RearView Monitor, Nissan Hard Drive Navigation System with XM NavTraffic, Voice Recognition and a 9.3.-GB Music Box Hard Drive.

The new Maxima uses a 3.5-litre DOHC V6 engine that makes 290 horsepower and 261 lb-ft of torque, an increase of 35 horsepower and nine lb-ft of torque over the 2008 Maxima engine. All models come with a revised standard Xtronic CVT with manual mode with available paddle shifters, along with a new-for-2009 "Ds" (drive sport) mode.

CanadianDriver

Looks pretty nice eh? (and pretty darn big too!) A panoramic moonroof and LED 3rd brake light are a nice touch. It still has that heavy rear end of the current Maxima. It looks pretty imposing with that near vertical front end.
Old 03-19-08, 11:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The steering wheel looks a little low-rent but the paddle shifters look nice (hopefully they're real metal and not silver plastic)

Quick Reply: 2009 Nissan Maxima