Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mods and cars, people trying to sell their cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 05:13 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON430
If I buy a used Lexus, I want to know that the wiring, transmission, suspension, audio, and everything else I am not naming were screwed together by Lexus. And if possible, maintained by Lexus. Any other mod from a supercharger to remote wired radar detector can, and I will view them this way, more than likely will be problem areas.
I can relate to this. I once had a cargo van that would only start with the headlight switch in the "on" position. My best guess is it had something to do with an alarm that had once been on it before. Something went screwy with the installation or uninstallation.
Old 06-05-08, 05:51 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I have made a few offers on some older NSX's. One thing I notice is that each individual seems to really overvalue their modifications they have done to their car. I don't think the people I have talked to get that most mods don't get much value in resale. For example: I found a 91 NSX with 110k miles. It had Enkei wheels that were pretty old but I am sure he paid 2500 for the wheels at the time possibly. He wants to justify a higher than average price for the car since he doesn't have stock wheels on it. Now my thoughts are, 1) wheels are particularly an individual thing for appearance. 2) 5 years after the wheel has been out it is considered less in style and most often not in style. 3) Whatever mods you have on the car were what you wanted on the car. Now you may think the car looks great with those items on it but chances are most buyers don't feel the same way. I see that people get too emotial with their car sales lately and have a hard time letting go.

I have also noticed with the Acura NSX that NSXprime has a different price guide for the cars. Let's just say that the prices are in favor of owners by a little bit Now every other price guide tends to have a huge discrepancy on the private party car value but some of these owners will want to sell a 70k mile 91' NSX for $33,000. That to me is insane given supply and demand. There are lots more of these cars for sale than people buying them right now. Anyway, I just had to rant after talking to someone recently about their car in Tennessee.
It just like the Supras people still want alot for them cause its rare just like the NSX. Dont see much of them on the roads cause of the price.
Old 06-05-08, 06:00 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrisyano
I can relate to this. I once had a cargo van that would only start with the headlight switch in the "on" position. My best guess is it had something to do with an alarm that had once been on it before. Something went screwy with the installation or uninstallation.
Man, unfortunately I bet a lot of us have stories like this one. And even if things were done reasonably well, if the mods place stresses that exceed design specifications you are in for a world of hurt. And what recourse do you have after the guy has cashed your check? We obviously tangle with bimmer fans here over the usual issues but even most bimmer fanboys are very leary of owning a bimmer once they are out of warranty. People who mod their cars really need to appreciate that they are not talking about value added as much as value deducted IMO.
Old 06-05-08, 06:04 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverBull
I have made a few offers on some older NSX's. One thing I notice is that each individual seems to really overvalue their modifications they have done to their car. I don't think the people I have talked to get that most mods don't get much value in resale. For example: I found a 91 NSX with 110k miles. It had Enkei wheels that were pretty old but I am sure he paid 2500 for the wheels at the time possibly. He wants to justify a higher than average price for the car since he doesn't have stock wheels on it. Now my thoughts are, 1) wheels are particularly an individual thing for appearance. 2) 5 years after the wheel has been out it is considered less in style and most often not in style. 3) Whatever mods you have on the car were what you wanted on the car. Now you may think the car looks great with those items on it but chances are most buyers don't feel the same way. I see that people get too emotial with their car sales lately and have a hard time letting go.

I have also noticed with the Acura NSX that NSXprime has a different price guide for the cars. Let's just say that the prices are in favor of owners by a little bit Now every other price guide tends to have a huge discrepancy on the private party car value but some of these owners will want to sell a 70k mile 91' NSX for $33,000. That to me is insane given supply and demand. There are lots more of these cars for sale than people buying them right now. Anyway, I just had to rant after talking to someone recently about their car in Tennessee.
Over 14 years, less than 10k imported (and how many thousands crashed), and only about 150 of them are for sale at any one time in the entire country. A good number of those have defects and have been listed for a long time.

I'm looking for one for a friend. Based on his criteria, there are only a handful of them that he would buy in the entire country. I've heard of people searching for years for the right one.

I understand it's a PITA shopping for an NSX, but that's because they're scarce; there are a lot of scammers and salvaged cars in the market. There isn't a lot more of these cars than people buying. It's just tough finding the one you want.

Btw, that pricing guide hasn't changed in like a decade. And prices have been slowly rising. Years ago, there used to be a lot of sub $30k NSXs that were in great condition...

Last edited by pvmike1; 06-05-08 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 06:08 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wowitztai
It just like the Supras people still want alot for them cause its rare just like the NSX. Dont see much of them on the roads cause of the price.
Even more so than NSXs. MSRP for a 1997 Supra TT was $39,900 (price drop from a high of $49,900). Low mileage, stock ones sell for more now.
Old 06-05-08, 07:37 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

If the type of mods we are talking about are wheels or air fresheners, I can live with that although I would more than likely prefer the stock wheels and pick my aftermarket rims myself, thank you very much. Anything else, and I mean anything else, that involves any sort of installation reduces the value of the car to me if not make it a FIDO.

If I buy a used Lexus, I want to know that the wiring, transmission, suspension, audio, and everything else I am not naming were screwed together by Lexus. And if possible, maintained by Lexus. Any other mod from a supercharger to remote wired radar detector can, and I will view them this way, more than likely will be problem areas. Before anyone posts about how competent they, or their installer are, I just don't care. It isn't worth the risk IMO. If you love your mods, fine. But don't expect me to pay a dime for them and probably want a reserve, lower price, to cover any potential problems made by Larry, Moe, and Curly installing your Brembos.
LOL... No problem go buy a stock Lexus from someone. To me this thread is more about someone that has at least some interest in mods in the first place.
Old 06-05-08, 07:40 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

I'm hoping for #2, but if that doesn't work I'm going to market my GS with hybrid option #3
I have thought about that option as well (someone previously proposed something similar). A nice compromise between the time/money standpoint.
Old 06-06-08, 04:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't mind peole modding their cars but, depending on the mod, they will reduce the value of the car from stock IMO. People looking for an NSX are looking for an NSX, not a billyjobob NSX wedding cake. You may not have much choice but stick to your guns. They reduced the value of the car and just have their personal reality distortion field still turned up to 11. They will find out over time.
If the type of mods we are talking about are wheels or air fresheners, I can live with that although I would more than likely prefer the stock wheels and pick my aftermarket rims myself, thank you very much. Anything else, and I mean anything else, that involves any sort of installation reduces the value of the car to me if not make it a FIDO.

If I buy a used Lexus, I want to know that the wiring, transmission, suspension, audio, and everything else I am not naming were screwed together by Lexus. And if possible, maintained by Lexus. Any other mod from a supercharger to remote wired radar detector can, and I will view them this way, more than likely will be problem areas. Before anyone posts about how competent they, or their installer are, I just don't care. It isn't worth the risk IMO. If you love your mods, fine. But don't expect me to pay a dime for them and probably want a reserve, lower price, to cover any potential problems made by Larry, Moe, and Curly installing your Brembos.
+1 agree with you 110%, when looking for a used car....basically I won't even consider a modded one....
Old 06-06-08, 09:29 AM
TruthTellr
Rookie

The problem seems to be that many people looking at used niche vehicles for the purpose of modding are simply too poor and/or too cheap so they complain alot. Practically all my friends and relatives fall under that category. So I says to them, don't play if you don't wanna pay, sellers don't like cheap bastards who tries to devalue their property with excuses. Lifes too short, save your money for booze and cheap women.

Last edited by TruthTellr; 06-06-08 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 11:04 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

how about this one:

expect to take a net loss overall on your car ... modified or not

at the end of the day your car is only worth what someone is willing to pay

personally, i expect mods to reduce the resale value of my car overall unless i happen to be selling it to another enthusiest

i find a common stigma (which isn't really so far off): people that mod their cars are also harder on their cars, yes they take good care of them but if they modified the car, the probably did it for a reason (gain in speed/handling/etc) and they probably took advantage of that mod
Old 06-06-08, 03:20 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I had no idea this post would get this much attention. First, a few things about my shopping. I get on NSXprime, NSXtrader and a few other sites that list their cars for sale. There are LOTS listed for sale right now and due to the economy there just isn't the load of people right now willing to part with their money on a depreciable asset. An NSX is a strange car since it doesn't really fall under any of the price guides, yet it is still worth what the someone is willing to pay in today's market. I just found a 91' Red/Black with 110k miles for 23k in Memphis. I am tempted by this car but I can't check it out since it is so far. He also has some odd mods that I am not really keen on.

That is where this thread really was going. I see people who say I have this and that on my car so I am going to sell it for 10k higher than a stock model. So many people haven't learned that the mods can't be resold for their original value with the car. I have tons of people on NSXprime telling me in PM's, "My car is for sale. I will give you a good deal on my car." Part of the problems with those are high miles, year, color and the dreaded automatic NSX. The Acura NSX is definitely a car where you either really dig it or it makes no difference in your life. I would like one for a reasonable amount right now. Otherwise, I will pass since my current car will be much faster than that car after Saturday.

My lesson to those selling a car now with any mods is consider 20% of your total cost of the mods(including labor) into the current selling price. I had a IS350 with a few mods and nobody was willing to buy it no matter how great a deal it was. It is a terrible time to sell a car sadly. Either keep the car or drop the price. When someone says that they really need to sell the car than they should be willing to drop the price of it to sell.
Old 06-06-08, 05:01 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
LOL... No problem go buy a stock Lexus from someone. To me this thread is more about someone that has at least some interest in mods in the first place.
This thread is about buying or selling a modded used car and what the value of the mods are. I posted my view of what they are worth from a buyers perspective. The reason this thread is here in the first place is exactly because sellers of modded cars not only overvalue their mods but don't realize they can make the car worth less than stock condition. If a seller finds a buyer who is interested in the particular mod and paying the price the seller wants, they can go shower together for all I care.
Old 06-06-08, 05:59 PM
EastWind
Driver

well, if people are paying for the NSXs, how can you argue that the price is not justified? KBB is a guide, not an absolute. if KBB says a 92 NSX is worth $27k, but almost every buyer on the market has there's at $32k, then kbb is wrong! don't aruge with the seller to lower it to KBB standard. NSX are reliable and beautiful cars and people know it.
Old 06-06-08, 09:05 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EastWind
well, if people are paying for the NSXs, how can you argue that the price is not justified? KBB is a guide, not an absolute. if KBB says a 92 NSX is worth $27k, but almost every buyer on the market has there's at $32k, then kbb is wrong! don't aruge with the seller to lower it to KBB standard. NSX are reliable and beautiful cars and people know it.
There is a member or two on NXS Prime that have been contracting places like KBB.com and Edmonds and such. Through his contracts, both Edmonds and kbb.com have recognized the fact that there numbers were too low for the NSX and that it is indeed a different car that doesn't conform to your standard depreciation tables like regular cars. They have already raised the prices at least once so far. According to them, they are doing more market value research to get more accurate pricing. At one point in time, a 91 NSX qith 100K miles was listed for about 21-22K on kbb.com. Now it is back up to about $27K. I'm talking about retail. Before, buyers were trying to get high mileage NSX for under $20K and wondering why nobody would sell

Seriously though, every 91 NSX that I have seen at our local dealer or various used car dealerships in my area have all sold for over $30K. Most list the car for about $35K being a dealership, then negotiate a little. $30K seems to be about the bottom price for well maintained higher mileage 91-93 NSXs. I personally would inspect very well and be very cautious of any NSX selling below $25K.
Old 06-06-08, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

a bit OT, but the prices on nsx is just holding up super well