Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Buying Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08 | 02:21 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Default Car Buying Dilemma

My 94 LS400 just got totaled by insurance thanks to a hit and run driver, and now I need to buy a new car. After everything is said and done, I'll have about 10K cash right now to put down, and I'm not really comfortable financing more than 15K (I don't want to have anything I can't payoff in a year). I was very attached to my LS400, I learned to drive in that car, spent a ton of money on mods, including full custom interior, paint job, audio setup. Mostly I spent a TON of time working on that car, and I'm sad to see it go. It's also really unfortunate because I was planning on not having to spend money on buying a new car for a few years.

I've been looking at a 2000 LS400 which is somewhere in the 15K range, with approx 80K miles. I'd be able to pay this off in a year easily, and perhaps still have some money over for mods. I estimate that I'd use this car for at least 5 years.

I've also been looking at a 2004 LS430, somewhere in the price range of 24K, so I'm estimating 26K out the door. I'd plan on using this car for at least 7 years.

I'm unsure what to do. Some of my friends think it's stupid to spend 15K on a car that is 8 years old, which is why I started looking at the LS430s. With gas prices being so high, LS430's are going well below KBB right now.

I've been looking at new cars, but even civic's and accords and camry's come out to 22K brand new when you price them out.. I just can't see myself driving one of those cars, I've been spoiled by owning a Lexus.

Some things on my mind
  • I'm 24 and single and live in the city
  • I commute about 28 miles a day total to work
  • I never expected 5 years ago that gas prices would be where they are today. Does it make sense to buy such a large car and commit to keeping it for 7 years?
  • If I buy the LS430, I'm getting into a long term commitment (financing 1-2 years) which could limit my ability to buy property in the future, which is another goal
  • I want to continue my hobbies of modding cars, builidng sound systems
  • I want to stay in the Lexus family if possible
  • Reliability is a HUGE concern for me. My LS400 with 215K never left me stranded even once
  • If I buy something like a civic or an accord, I wont mod it. Because I know it will be a temporary car.

So what would you do? What would you look at? Thanks,
Old 06-05-08 | 02:30 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Slightly used (06 or even 07) TSX?

Do you HAVE to stick with Lexus? Broaden the horizon a little bit and you'll find some newer and just as reliable cars that still have factory warranty in the price range. Since you're single, I wouldn't think that you need all the room.

The Mini Cooper's a great choice too.
Old 06-05-08 | 02:34 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Slightly used (06 or even 07) TSX?

Do you HAVE to stick with Lexus? Broaden the horizon a little bit and you'll find some newer and just as reliable cars that still have factory warranty in the price range. Since you're single, I wouldn't think that you need all the room.

The Mini Cooper's a great choice too.
I guess I don't.. I'm just emotionally attached. I never got to finish my Ls400 project, I feel like something was taken away from me.. I learned to drive on that car, grew up just waiting to mod it. I did spend a lot of time modding it, learned a lot, but never got even close to finishing my project.. I've just always wanted to mod a Lexus.
Old 06-05-08 | 02:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Get the '04 LS430.

Make sure it's Certified Pre-Owned.

I bought my IS350 six months before I purchased my first home, and it did not affect the financing. It was noted, but not affected...
Old 06-05-08 | 02:55 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Get the '04 LS430.

Make sure it's Certified Pre-Owned.

I bought my IS350 six months before I purchased my first home, and it did not affect the financing. It was noted, but not affected...
Ah yeah, my point wasn't that it would affect the financing, but that it would be $500 or whatever amt less that I would be able to afford per month.

In other words buying a car is not an investment its an expense.
Old 06-05-08 | 05:08 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Suneet
I guess I don't.. I'm just emotionally attached. I never got to finish my Ls400 project, I feel like something was taken away from me.. I learned to drive on that car, grew up just waiting to mod it. I did spend a lot of time modding it, learned a lot, but never got even close to finishing my project.. I've just always wanted to mod a Lexus.
A good mechanic once told me never to fall in love with a car. You can like your car, but don't fall in love with it because stuff happens. It also makes it easier to experience all different types of great cars.

Anyway, what exactly are you looking for this time around. Is gas mileage really that important or not really at all? There are a lot of good cars new and used you can get for $25K total. Do you want a coupe or stick with a sedan? A luxury cruiser or more of a sports car or sports sedan/coupe?
Old 06-05-08 | 05:20 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Suneet
Ah yeah, my point wasn't that it would affect the financing, but that it would be $500 or whatever amt less that I would be able to afford per month.

In other words buying a car is not an investment its an expense.
In that case, why don't you lease your next car??
Old 06-06-08 | 08:29 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
In that case, why don't you lease your next car??
Leasing is still an expense

--

If this will be a replacement, shop around. You can always visit your local dealer and test drive a few vehicles (Lexus/Toyota/other). That way, you may find something amazing in a vehicle you may have never considered... though I wouldn't jump to a Mini Cooper from a LS400, LOL!
Old 06-06-08 | 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

How badly was your LS400 damaged? On a car that old, it doesn't take much to total it. If the car means THAT much to you, and IF it can be repaired to your satisfaction, then maybe get it repaired with your insurance check and whatever else it takes out of your pocket. If you don't trust any of the local shops to do the job right, or if the car is too badly damaged for a practical or safe repair, then forget it..............and we can go on from there.

I have a number of recommendations for possible replacement vehicles, but it sounds like you really want your pet back first, if possible.
Old 06-06-08 | 08:48 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

v8 with lpg conversion..and youll be laughing at the others at the gas station

plus you get double the rtange (a 13gal lpg tank will fit in your spare wheel well)

there is no difference when driving in lpg mode.
Old 06-06-08 | 08:56 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xravexboix
Leasing is still an expense

--
For our buddy leasing will equal less $$$ monthly (depending on make & model he seeks), new car, can unload the car midstream for a nominal fee in the event of financial hardship. If he totals a leased car in an accident, the insurance co. of the lessee (if he is at fault) will pay off the remaining balance and our buddy can just walk away clean from the deal and get into another leased vehicle. Same holds true if he was not at fault (ins. of other driver will be responsible). The same can't be said for a financed vehicle. If you total the car, he will be responsible to pay off the bank loan. Hope that LS400 is paid in full before you jump into another deal.. Good luck with whatever you do..

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 06-06-08 at 09:05 AM. Reason: sp. lol