Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A "starter car" for a 16yo under $7K

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 06:30 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always reccomend the Subaru Legacy. They run and run and run. And there's nothing like the security of AWD, most have ABS, and even the oldest ones have a minimum of 4 stars crash test rating.

Corolla might also be good.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Honda Prelude. Its a cool car, Honda reliability, 4 cylinder to gas is not too bad, still plenty of power, lots of aftermarket mods if she desires.
Haha, that was my first car. I got rid of it instantly because it was a big POS.
Old 06-06-08, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Look first at a used Civic. The Si model will be the "coolest" and sportiest, but Si's have sometimes led a hard life with the caps-on-backwards crowd. The regular, non-Si, hatchbacks were dropped from the American market a number of years ago, but there may still be some good low-mileage ones around in the ads if you search.
Barring a hatchback, there's nothing wrong with the Civic sedan, either, for a teenager, though they're somewhat less "cool". You have Honda reliability, a usuable back seat, and good gas mileage on regular gas (Si's, I'm not sure, may take premium). But with any used Civic, try and see if it has had regular oil changes. Honda engines are durable if given regular fresh oil, but don't like extended oil changes. Brake jobs are also sensitive, and have to be done correctly to avoid rotor and pad problems.

I don't know where in CA you live, but if you are in an area that gets heavy rains or snow, you may want to check out a used, non-turbo, Subaru Impreza sedan or wagon. That is an excellent car for teens in bad weather, and reliability is close to that of the Honda Civic.

The Corolla, of course, is also an excellent small car, but many teens don't like it because of its perceived stodginess.

Consumer Reports publishes a list of cars in the Annual Car Buying issue that they consider appropriate for teen-agers, but that is based more on new models than used ones.

And then, whatever you buy, put a McCain bumper sticker on it.
(just kidding)

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-06-08 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 08:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an '89 Camry with 270k miles.

I'll give it to you for $6,999...
Old 06-06-08, 08:15 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The first thing you will want is a car that is safe for your daughter to drive. That means not just one that is reliable, but one that can hold its own in a collision. Sadly teens are more likely to be involved in accidents (thus the higher insurance you will be paying), and it may not even be her fault - driving around a HS where other teens are driving/showing off.

Depends on where her "cool" threshold lies. I agree with Och, a Buick is probably the safest car she could drive, assuming an M1A1 isn't available. You will have to work with her to find something between that "I wouldn't be caught dead in it" and "Yeah, that's OK" range. Ultimate coolness is probably totally unsafe or beyond your stated budget.

Something like an Accord, Camry, or Sentra would probably meet your budget and pass the "cool" test, but there might be some bargains in slightly less generic cars like Mazda, Hyundai, or others - if it were in a "cool" color. Funny how females put more stock in color than males do . . . my wife will buy anything that's purple (she bought a purple steam iron yesterday - I don't even need to ask why). Save a little money back to install a newer radio that will accept an iPod input, and if all else fails be prepared to paint it in her choice of colors.

As far as a toy for you once she goes off to college, either send the car with her, or sell it to another anxious dad at a good price.

Last edited by Lil4X; 06-06-08 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 08:22 AM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
In my opinion, get her a Buick or something like that. Maybe its uncool, but its big and safe. Plus, the way Buicks depreciate, you will probably find one fully loaded, with leather, with less mileage and newer than a base model Civic or Corolla. Of course its going to be a bit heavier on gas, but its a much safer car.
She would secretly hate him for that. Bad idea.
Old 06-06-08, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The first thing you will want is a car that is safe for your daughter to drive. That means not just one that is reliable, but one that can hold its own in a collision. Sadly teens are more likely to be involved in accidents (thus the higher insurance you will be paying), and it may not even be her fault - driving around a HS where other teens are driving/showing off.

Depends on where her "cool" threshold lies. I agree with Och, a Buick is probably the safest car she could drive, assuming an M1A1 isn't available. You will have to work with her to find something between that "I wouldn't be caught dead in it" and "Yeah, that's OK" range. Ultimate coolness is probably totally unsafe or beyond your stated budget.
I had two Buicks in my teen years and liked them.....but I know that most teens consider them Grandpa/Grandma cars.

If it's pure safety one is after, then Mercedes and Volvo is probably the way to go...but then you run into unreliability and expensive parts/repair.

For an overall teen starter car, a used Toyota/Honda, or for bad weather, Subaru, is hard to beat.
Old 06-06-08, 08:32 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

Accord Coupe?

Volvo 850 T sedan in a cool colour (red,yellow,white,dark grey)

Saab 9-3 turbo (in a cool colour)

Civic or Corolla (newer)

something fuel efficient is cool too (esp if YOU have to fill it up and insure it)
Old 06-06-08, 09:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bluestar
Yet I am leary of the Civics or the 'Rollas.
Guys, he is not really interested in Civics. If she wants to blend in with most other women, yes get her a Civic or Accord.

Mazda 636 or MX-6?

Saturn SC2

Mitsu Galant

Old 06-06-08, 11:21 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

does the SC fit the 'cool' bill? i think those can be had in the states for under 7k (i could be out to lunch though)

i'm w. coc-bun tho ... IS300 is an awesome car, if you can find one ... it's an excellent choice (then you two can CL together ... or not LOL)

or what about an older prelude?
Old 06-06-08, 11:29 AM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X

Something like an Accord, Camry, or Sentra would probably meet your budget and pass the "cool" test, but there might be some bargains in slightly less generic cars like Mazda, Hyundai, or others - if it were in a "cool" color. Funny how females put more stock in color than males do . . . my wife will buy anything that's purple (she bought a purple steam iron yesterday - I don't even need to ask why). Save a little money back to install a newer radio that will accept an iPod input, and if all else fails be prepared to paint it in her choice of colors.

As far as a toy for you once she goes off to college, either send the car with her, or sell it to another anxious dad at a good price.
Excellent points, Lil4X...

And thanks to everyone... I can see that "cool" isn't always synonymous with "reliable". So let me embellish a little about my 16yo's preference.

She hates hatch backs... loves black cars... or green (ewwww)... hates our LS400. Won't be caught dead driving it. I hate to have her drive the LX to school... totally over the top, hence trying to buy something cheap. Buicks are out. Too old. VW, Audi, BMW and MB are out as well - high maint. cost. I'm down to Civics, Rolla, Nissan, Acura, Ford, Saturn, Subaru, etc. As for AWD, don't really need one... I live in San Diego, as So Cal as it gets with plenty of sun and very little rain My wife doesn't like "small cars".. thinks they are unsafe... but no SUVs either.. too heavy, poor on gas, and roll-over prone...

Tough task... even when I thought it was gonna be easy, eh? What can $7K buy these days???
Old 06-06-08, 12:26 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/car/709900255.html
I know its frowned upon here to post links, but thats an example of what kind of Maxima you can get her 99' for only 5800, and don't forget you can always talk the price down .
Old 06-06-08, 01:09 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 92 Celica GT-S as a first car. Still miss it. Great on gas, pretty cool looks (IMO) and reliable. Now you can get one of those for dirt cheap so you can get a newer one, 94-99.
Old 06-06-08, 01:22 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How about a Mazda Millenia Blue? Luxury, safety, size, and cool looks for 7k.

Old 06-06-08, 01:26 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I have an '89 Camry with 270k miles.

I'll give it to you for $6,999...
Hey, that was my first car. I absolutely hated it but it got the job done

The paint was bad, the struts were blown so it just bounced around everywhere. There was no power... But on the bright side, the car was a trooper it never died and barely have any engine problems.

That sucker was sold around 8 months ago. Then i got a 2IS

How about strentching to about 10K for a IS300 or look into Civics, Mustangs and corollas.

IS300: every high school kid loves that car, it looks great and is reliable
Civic: Its reliable and its about mid range for any HS kid
Mustang: everyone likes mustangs, even the older ones there decent looking cars, reliability i dont know about that..
Corollas: not as cool as a civic, but tint those windows and it looks decent

Last edited by ExTrEmE99; 06-06-08 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-06-08, 05:16 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scion TC Hands down.
You also have to consider insurance costs, safety, and reliability too, if you are going with something around 80k miles.
I think the scion TC is 'cool' with the glass roof, and doesn't look like the typical econobox. It has great gas mileage, relatively fun to drive, and great looking interior too.

Quick Reply: A "starter car" for a 16yo under $7K