Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

18 year olds and performance / luxury cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 04:36 PM
408IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd have to agree

as I used to frequent those boards, mostly as a lurker. I was there just for the information and group buys and nothing more. I bought a BMW because I love how it drives and that is why I still have one. I drive my 7 yr old BMW more than the IS because its so much more fun to drive. Not to take anything away from the IS, which I do love as well, just in a different way. I think I've posted on this board more in the month than I've posted on the BMW boards over the years. That speaks volumes.
Old 06-06-08, 05:36 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I was contemplating a e39 before I got my GS, I took some glances at the BMW boards and a FEW were OK at best (especially in comparison to CL), and I remember one dude actually PM'ed me after my first few posts that he had a newer, better BMW board elsewhere (I later found out he was 16...).
Old 06-06-08, 06:07 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I am a BMW fan for what it is, a great driving machine, but the forums and the general attitude of the crowds

I was once a member of some of those forums, but I didn't feel the meaningful conversation, topic and general good feeling of CL anywhere near those other forums.

Shame really, but I do think it runs with the cars.
Old 06-06-08, 06:32 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually,

Just to be fair though, BMW forums weren't like this in the old days. I too, was once an 18 year old with a new BMW a very long time ago.

I've had my BMW for well more than 10 years and have been actively browsing various BMW forums since then. Back in the good old days with www.bimmer.org, a lot of us were helpful folks who really genuinely shared the same passion for cars.

Things got a bit more diverse with the creation of DTM Power.net and bimmerforums. By the time when E46Fanatics forum was created, well.... you get the picture.

There are still quality ways to discuss BMW related issues. You can always sign up with BMW list serv via emails.

Jon
Old 06-06-08, 08:22 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikez
Welcome to Marlboro NJ, my old home town.

Marlboro population... 70%~ Caucasian, of which 90% Jewish.

Marlboro high school... 70% Jewish (98% of which all have that Guido hair style, unbutton bare chest shirts, bling chains, wearing sunglasses in class), 30% something else, of which 90% are also a form of non Italian, non Caucasion Guido!

99% of all mentioned above, drives either BMW 3 series, 5 series, or Mercedes C class.

100% of all mentioned above are d*ck heads, jerks, drive like morons, bump loud rap music with one hand over the steering wheel at 12 O'clock and slouching over their seats.

God I hate my old town, thats what happen when all the rich people from NYC decide they want suburbia and move down to NJ taking their dumb kids with them.

May I add all 100% of them are also in community colleges still partying their asses off.

BMW makes big bucks there, their dealer were one of the first to receive the new M3 coupe when it hit the east cost.
Sounds typical, except Jewish people don't go to community college!
Old 06-06-08, 08:55 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
I HATE the BMW boards I've come across... bunch of immature ****** that think their cars are flawless in every little detail.

That's why I still hang out here and one other board. I mean there's still some serious Lexus fan boys here but it's the exception, not the norm... whereas on those boards it's like a support group meeting where everybody takes turns making each other feel special for having a BMW, and they go about it in the most berating of ways.
Same here. Although I have been a BMW forum member for years, I rarely post much on those sites. The funny thing is, as I get older, the BMW people I know are also older and really just normal people who don't really give a rats behind about cars or what people think about cars. However, on the internet, it seems all the punks flock to the forums.
Old 06-06-08, 09:08 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

HAHAHA, I was leaving work today and I got stuck behind this guy driving super slow in his BIG ol New 7 Series. He kept stopping for no reason and I figured he was some old fart. When I finally had the chance to pass him, low and behold some early 20's maybe douchington wearing his ubertan, and gotti hairstyle. He had a flag hanging off his rearview mirror, but I'll neglect to mention what kind. Most of you folks probably know what I'm refering to anyway.
Old 06-06-08, 09:15 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you checked out the IS forum here??? PLENTY of sub 20 year olds whose folks have bought them their cars. That is just the way it is these days.
Old 06-07-08, 03:09 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hmm i shouldn't have even come in here...

i got my is350 when i was 17, 2 months before i turned 18. uhm, it's a lease. and i have invested almost 8k in mods. ill just be leaving now.
Old 06-07-08, 07:15 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand why young people that bought their own Lexus are coming in here and acting offended. This is about spoiled kids that are just given a brand new car and have no appreciation for it. If you paid for your car entirely yourself then obviously you have appreciation for it and you aren't spoiled (in that regard).

I bought my GS4 when I was 20 (it was almost a brand new car at the time... 30k miles) with my own money, but got a lot of those kind of assumptions from people... but you just can't avoid that kind of stuff. Juts feel good knowing that you aren't one of 'those' kids.
Old 06-07-08, 10:25 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

hmm when isee younger kids driver bmw's or mb's they are either really old 5series, like 1998 323's and those egg shaped c class's. While i amreally aginst kids bragging about driving nice cars and acting like theyare all that, i would be a hypocrite in a way because i am getting a 2001 es300, and im only 15. I know that it isnt a lambo but i mean, i have loved it since the day my dad bought it and have always waxed and washed it, once i was old enough. so what i am trying to say is that, don't think all younger kids who drive, or will drive luxury cars are spoiled snobby kids who act like they own the road, not saying that you guys are though
Old 06-07-08, 11:39 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmd93
hmm when isee younger kids driver bmw's or mb's they are either really old 5series, like 1998 323's and those egg shaped c class's. While i amreally aginst kids bragging about driving nice cars and acting like theyare all that, i would be a hypocrite in a way because i am getting a 2001 es300, and im only 15. I know that it isnt a lambo but i mean, i have loved it since the day my dad bought it and have always waxed and washed it, once i was old enough. so what i am trying to say is that, don't think all younger kids who drive, or will drive luxury cars are spoiled snobby kids who act like they own the road, not saying that you guys are though
+1..........
Old 06-08-08, 01:27 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Guys/Gals
I hang out over at bimmerfest.com (e60 subforum) and e60.net. Both are more mature IMHO than CL (e60.net being one of the most mature boards I've ever been on).

I can also say that everyone I personally know that has a BMW bought it because of the way it drove and not because of the badge. I'm sure it happens of course but...I'd argue that it happens just as much with Lexus and MB.
Old 06-08-08, 02:00 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ffpower
Trust me, it's not just the young BMW owners, older BMW owners have the same cocky, ignorant attitude as well. Go check out Edmunds Carspace forum if you don't believe me.

No wonder people associate BMW with a$$holes...

BMW brang tag
interesting site.
Old 06-08-08, 06:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gshb
CL's car chat section is probably the best forum ive been to. period. i dont even own a lexus anymore and i keep coming back.
Thank you.

Car chat has grown TREMENDOUSLY in the last 3 years. For those that do not know, it was one with the Clubhouse before and Dave and the mod team decided a split would be good.

We really have to thank all the wonderful members for their posts and contributions and overall being as unbiased as you are going to get.

This is a Lexus forum and we will have our Die Hard Lexus fans. It is apparent it is not the norm, which is quite incredible.

We encourage people with other brands and with other experiences to post. There are many moderators with non-Lexus vehicles, so that helps keep flaming to a minimum.

Quick Reply: 18 year olds and performance / luxury cars